Author Topic: The Refs are really bad this year.  (Read 1758 times)

The Refs are really bad this year.
« on: November 23, 2023, 10:47:48 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
The refs have been terrible this year. On First Take this morning they had a story about how Scott Foster has an open beef with Chris Paul. With all the focus on gambling ads etc, the refs have never needed to look competent more than they do now. The NBA needs to do something. It's a black eye for the NBA. If I have to watch Tatum, A superstar in the league, get hit in the head without a call I'll puke!

Re: The Refs are really bad this year.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 11:14:34 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Scott Foster still being in this league and basically acting as the "mob boss" tells you everything. Even after the whole documentary and scandal, nothing really changed. Then you have a ton of other incompetent refs like Brothers, Zarba, etc.

It's not just an NBA problem, it's been BAD all over sports. I've said it before, but there's two reasons this is the case. (1) Gambling. It's happening all around now and more states like MA recently allow it too, plus all the Vegas influence and them getting new sports teams too. (2) Refs are never held accountable. Like at all. If a player or coach speaks out about it, it's a fine. Refs? Nothing at all. Even if they make terrible calls, ejections or even trash talk. No discipline whatsoever. The closest thing I can recall is when they claimed to have "sleepless nights" over that Lebron missed call, because he's Lebron. But that's it, and no ref got officially disciplined either.

Btw, last night's game line was -5.5 for Bucks-Celtics. Makes you wonder why the refs certainly tried to make it close late  :P

I'm frankly surprised more athletes and FO members aren't trying to do something about it, but maybe it's because these refs/umpires have strong unions and such?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I caught the Foster/CP3 episode when I got home from the game. Foster should be suspended. Fans don't pay crazy money for tickets to watch that clown.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 11:35:38 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Is there a rule that Jason Tatum's head is part of the ball?

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Is there any way the NBA could get those international refs that work the world games and Olympics? I notice that no NBA refs work those games. NBA refs are not the best.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I think 52 free throws in one game is a lot but the Suns took 52 as a team! WHAT???

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 01:27:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I get missed calls.  It's the double standard that irritates me.  If Lebron was reffed the way KP is, he'd pick up two technicals per game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 01:53:19 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I get missed calls.  It's the double standard that irritates me.  If Lebron was reffed the way KP is, he'd pick up two technicals per game.
Imagine Draymond….

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Is there any way the NBA could get those international refs that work the world games and Olympics? I notice that no NBA refs work those games. NBA refs are not the best.

Different rules and lower broadcast quality lead to fewer complaints about the referees.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 02:57:45 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177
The refs have been really bad for years and years. Not new as far as I’m concerned

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Different rules and lower broadcast quality lead to fewer complaints about the referees.

???

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 01:35:08 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375

What's it like in the Euroleague or the Spanish league? I would have figured some of those guys get pretty emotional about calls  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 06:20:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Scott Foster still being in this league and basically acting as the "mob boss" tells you everything. Even after the whole documentary and scandal, nothing really changed. Then you have a ton of other incompetent refs like Brothers, Zarba, etc.

It's not just an NBA problem, it's been BAD all over sports. I've said it before, but there's two reasons this is the case. (1) Gambling. It's happening all around now and more states like MA recently allow it too, plus all the Vegas influence and them getting new sports teams too. (2) Refs are never held accountable. Like at all. If a player or coach speaks out about it, it's a fine. Refs? Nothing at all. Even if they make terrible calls, ejections or even trash talk. No discipline whatsoever. The closest thing I can recall is when they claimed to have "sleepless nights" over that Lebron missed call, because he's Lebron. But that's it, and no ref got officially disciplined either.

Btw, last night's game line was -5.5 for Bucks-Celtics. Makes you wonder why the refs certainly tried to make it close late  :P

I'm frankly surprised more athletes and FO members aren't trying to do something about it, but maybe it's because these refs/umpires have strong unions and such?

So Phantom, are you saying a lot of games are basically rigged nowadays?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 08:31:34 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

What's it like in the Euroleague or the Spanish league? I would have figured some of those guys get pretty emotional about calls  :laugh:
Same as everywhere - the fans think the referees hate their team, of course. Schroedinger’s reffing.

My comment was more about US fandom watching team USA in the Olympics or FIBA games vs watching the Celtics.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 09:16:13 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I stopped watching euro ball because of the reffs. Nba is fine, believe me.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger