Author Topic: Robert Williams Hurt  (Read 5642 times)

Re: Robert Williams Hurt
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2023, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
IMO, this is just further proof that some guys are, in fact, injury prone, and not merely the victim of bad luck. If it happens 4, 6, 8 times, it's not a fluke thing; there's some inherent flaw in the person's genetic makeup, and that's not something you can escape with any amount of conditioning/treatment/etc. (Though it can certainly be called "bad luck" to end up with that genetic makeup in the first place, but that's not the point.) Rob Williams is injury-prone, period. He'll probably never come close to playing a full season.

Durability is certainly an athletic ability, you're right, but I also think there's a wrinkle with guys that become injury-prone. Hayward springs to mind, he had a pretty durable run in seven seasons with Utah, but he's cracked 55 games just once since, and that was his minutes-restricted 'real' debut with us. Would you say Hayward's a victim of bad luck?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2023, 11:14:01 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
IMO, this is just further proof that some guys are, in fact, injury prone, and not merely the victim of bad luck. If it happens 4, 6, 8 times, it's not a fluke thing; there's some inherent flaw in the person's genetic makeup, and that's not something you can escape with any amount of conditioning/treatment/etc. (Though it can certainly be called "bad luck" to end up with that genetic makeup in the first place, but that's not the point.) Rob Williams is injury-prone, period. He'll probably never come close to playing a full season.

Durability is certainly an athletic ability, you're right, but I also think there's a wrinkle with guys that become injury-prone. Hayward springs to mind, he had a pretty durable run in seven seasons with Utah, but he's cracked 55 games just once since, and that was his minutes-restricted 'real' debut with us. Would you say Hayward's a victim of bad luck?

I'm not sure what I'd label Hayward. Mainly, my cynical side looks at Hayward (and Kemba) and thinks, "They were ironmen before Boston, then started breaking down as soon as they joined the Celtics. How lovely."

I guess I would say his initial injury with Boston was bad luck, because he got hurt on what was not a typical play, but I haven't paid enough attention to his post-Boston injuries to know how to categorize those. With Rob, though, he's not getting hurt on fluke plays; he's getting injured while going through normal, everyday basketball movements.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2023, 11:31:29 AM »

• Satch Sanders

I am not sure there is much debate about this.  It is absolutely true that some humans are more durable than other humans.  Just like some are taller or better at math or better singers.  There is some element of chance involved also (aka luck) with some injuries.  Chronic injuries can also be the result of lack of conditioning and preparation.

There should be no doubt for anyone that has watched him that Rob Williams is not a durable athlete (I prefer that to saying injury prone).  His body is just not going to hold up to the rigor of the NBA.  It isn't his fault.  It is more than just a bad luck fluke injury.  He is far from the first.

I think all Celtics fans liked Rob Williams the player and the person.  He had some real moments for the Celtics.  When he was right, healthy, and on his game (second half of 2021-22 season) he was part of some historically good team basketball.

Based on my experience on CS and CB, I have to disagree. More than once I've labeled Rob or some similar athlete "injury prone" and someone sternly disagreed, insisting it was just plain bad luck (time after time after time).

I really like Rob the player (and person, as far as I can tell); he's a legit defensive nightmare when he's fully healthy. Unfortunately, he's almost never fully healthy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2023, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Might be a season-ending injury according to Shams. Yikes. Really sad to see. I loved Timelord here and Smart, sad to see both go but ultimately I think the C's made out well getting Porzingis + Holiday back.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2023, 01:43:09 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I am not sure there is much debate about this.  It is absolutely true that some humans are more durable than other humans.  Just like some are taller or better at math or better singers.  There is some element of chance involved also (aka luck) with some injuries.  Chronic injuries can also be the result of lack of conditioning and preparation.

There should be no doubt for anyone that has watched him that Rob Williams is not a durable athlete (I prefer that to saying injury prone).  His body is just not going to hold up to the rigor of the NBA.  It isn't his fault.  It is more than just a bad luck fluke injury.  He is far from the first.

I think all Celtics fans liked Rob Williams the player and the person.  He had some real moments for the Celtics.  When he was right, healthy, and on his game (second half of 2021-22 season) he was part of some historically good team basketball.

Based on my experience on CS and CB, I have to disagree. More than once I've labeled Rob or some similar athlete "injury prone" and someone sternly disagreed, insisting it was just plain bad luck (time after time after time).

I really like Rob the player (and person, as far as I can tell); he's a legit defensive nightmare when he's fully healthy. Unfortunately, he's almost never fully healthy.

Injury proneness exists, but that's not the same as saying you can tell from one (or even sometimes two) injuries. There are plenty of guys who seemed durable and then suddenly turned out to be injury prone (like Hayward), and others that started out seeming injury prone but then sort of grew out of it.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2023, 02:26:43 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Injury proneness exists, but that's not the same as saying you can tell from one (or even sometimes two) injuries. There are plenty of guys who seemed durable and then suddenly turned out to be injury prone (like Hayward), and others that started out seeming injury prone but then sort of grew out of it.
We can all remember, I think, the discussion about the riskiness of signing Steph Curry to his 4-year, 40 million dollar contract because of his paper-thin ankles.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2023, 02:52:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

We can all remember, I think, the discussion about the riskiness of signing Steph Curry to his 4-year, 40 million dollar contract because of his paper-thin ankles.

That was definitely a legit concern on these boards back then. I remember discussion of trading Rondo for Curry and there was a lot of pushbuck (admittedly, rightfully so at the time).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2023, 12:22:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2023, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2023, 01:12:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Not a surprise but hope he can fully recover & have a long career
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2023, 02:20:02 PM »

• Satch Sanders
https://x.com/wojespn/status/1723026282663870923?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Season ending knee surgery for Rob. Dang.

Not surprised at all. I was confident he'd get another serious injury this season, because that's Rob. Porzingis could get a serious injury at some point this season too, which would sort of make things a wash, but for now he's healthy and doing well, and if I had to choose, I'd rather take my chances with Zinger.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2023, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Sucks. There's no way Timelord can be a starter in this league anymore. He'll be limited to a 15-20 minute bench guy who can occasionally go 24+
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2023, 04:16:18 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
https://x.com/wojespn/status/1723026282663870923?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Season ending knee surgery for Rob. Dang.

Very sad. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.
I saw Jonathan Isaac play yesterday for the Magic. He's making his way back.
Same story. Two special athletic DPOY-candidates if they were able to stay healthy.

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2023, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

Nope, I would say that Hayward and Kemba and Garnett and all the way back to Reggie Lewis and Len Bias made the mistake of playing for the Boston Celtics, who seem to have been cursed since the '86 title. What franchise has ever lost their two core superstars of the future by such tragic events ? Then the curse is broken in 2008, only to have that team derailed by injury. Think if the Lakers had drafted James Worthy and then somehow lost him before he ever played a game ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2023, 09:39:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Has he had surgery on both knees at this point? Can’t keep track.. :-\
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:18:06 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.