Author Topic: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...  (Read 11309 times)

Re: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I remember creating this thread a little before the Love trade, and I think it deserves a bump now after all that has happened and the current state of the Cavs.

I didn't buy the hype back then, and my suspicions came true in the form of a god-awful defense in Cleveland and chemistry issues.

It's amazing how much the narrative has changed in just six months. Many on here were ready to hand Cleveland the title before a single game was played.

Still a few months left in the season, but you're spot on so far. There was even some narrative about this same thing on NBATV tonight with Rick Fox and Brent Barry.

It makes what happened in 07-08 in BOS even more special, seeing those stars come together past their primes.

The 10-11 Heat came together faster than these Cavs have so far.

We'll see. If they continue to implode, here's hoping that KLove will see the error of his ways and chose BOS this time.

It really does make you realize how special that season was. For three superstars to come together so fast in the first year is just unprecedented.

The issue with the Cavs is that Irving and Love are younger and really had to deal with loosing in the playoffs over and over again, they still have 10+ years to get theirs. LeBron has won two, so it's not urgent for him or any of them.

PP,Allen and KG all had ups and downs in the playoffs, and were hitting their 30's. Allen was coming off of ankle surgery, KG was said to be washed up, and a couple years before, PP was considered a  bit of a punk after the Indiana series. They all had something to prove and new they needed each other to get it done.  So it was a perfect recipe  to having that great special season.

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
But I thought CelticsBloggers swore that LeBron = insta-championship team, chemistry be [dang]ed?

And that's the crazy thing, here.

Looking at his two weps - KLove and Kyrie - both of these guys evidently need the rock to be successful. The one (Kyrie) that is supposed to be the PG was never a "great" distributor to start off with, nor a great defender.

I can live with KLove getting as many touches as he needs...he is probably their most potent threat with his deep threat and improved post game...they need to feed him. Additionally he is their best rebounder AND their 2nd best passer.

And he is still rather young and durable.

IMO, they SHOULD be running stuff through KLove, not Kyrie or LeBron. But I'm just a fan.

Add in a 30 year-old LeBron whom Father Time is slowly catching up to AND their defensive anchor is now gone for the season in Andy V.

LeBron greatly improved his image by returning home. Great move by him. But he may not win anymore Banners.

The season is still young, though...we'll see.

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
But haven't we all realized that Kevin Love sucks by now?

Well, he definitely has not been the Minnesota Love this year, especially when sharing the spotlight with two other stars. Maybe he should've thought about that before skimping out on Boston and an ideal partner in Rondo.

Agreed.

Rondo would've made KLove look a LOT better than what he's looking right now.

KLove would've had Rajon, a running SF in Jeff Green (to catch his beautiful outlook passes) and whatever else Danny would've pieced together.

He chose the limelight in CLE
....can't say I blame him, but even as that team was coming together you could just see that it didn't mesh...Brent Barry mentioned "Chemistry" several times tonight in regards to CLE.

Now, supposedly LeBron is using these 2 weeks off to take a step back and see how to integrate himself into the team. We'll see how that works.

I just spit out my drink reading the bolded line.  I bet that's the first time those words have ever been said in that order.

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I remember creating this thread a little before the Love trade, and I think it deserves a bump now after all that has happened and the current state of the Cavs.

I didn't buy the hype back then, and my suspicions came true in the form of a god-awful defense in Cleveland and chemistry issues.

It's amazing how much the narrative has changed in just six months. Many on here were ready to hand Cleveland the title before a single game was played.
Nice call. I don't think we're seeing the same Lebron. He was 15 pounds heavier and a step faster last year. He's still a handfull but he's not the same freight train coming down the lane anymore.
I think this is a legitimate response to some of his lackluster (to his standards) play as of recently, but oddly many people don't buy into it.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Nice call. I don't think we're seeing the same Lebron. He was 15 pounds heavier and a step faster last year. He's still a handfull but he's not the same freight train coming down the lane anymore.
I think this is a legitimate response to some of his lackluster (to his standards) play as of recently, but oddly many people don't buy into it.

Lebron dropped 15 pounds of muscle in a few weeks and the media heralded it.  I never thought that was a good thing.  (Actually, I think it's a bit suspicious.)  His strength was a huge advantage for him.  He doesn't quite look the same this year.  He's still the best in the league, but the gap has narrowed.

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Amazing what Steroids and/or HGH can do for a player....just like in MLB...notice how the league leader in home runs, had 40 this past season-and NOT 50/60-?....LeBron goes off whatever he was taking---and now he looks human.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Amazing what Steroids and/or HGH can do for a player....just like in MLB...notice how the league leader in home runs, had 40 this past season-and NOT 50/60-?....LeBron goes off whatever he was taking---and now he looks human.
It wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Now, David Griffin, the Cavs GM I believe, is seemingly scolding the media for trying to plant dissention. Good call on his part.

But Barry/Fox and Kamla from NBATV are pointing out another important factor - STRUCTURE. The winning teams have it (Spurs/LA/MIA)...Pat Riley, Dr. Buss, Greg Popovich.

Dr. Buss has passed, (RIP), but even with that he's left them in good hands with Ms. Jeanie Buss and the family. They still have Kobe. They have a former Laker alum at the helm as coach in Bryon Scott.

Even add BOS in the mix as solid structures in the NBA. Even though I've blasted Danny since the trade, I trust that he'll turn this around. He orchestrated our banner in 07-08. He PLAYED in BOS with winners. He even played in PHX with Charles Barkley.

We have engaged ownership. We have a ton of picks, and Coach Stevens is proven at developing talent (See Zeller and the ESPN article on BOS being 2nd in the NBA behind GSW for developing talent).

We all know about the Spurs, so I won't even go there.

CLE? Their structure is STILL being formed, sadly. Not sure if LeBron will be enough to will that team to a banner, as is.

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

At the height of the steroid era, there were a dozen or more guys hitting 40 home runs.  Last season there was one.

I've long thought NBA players were using.  They are so much more muscular than there were 20 years ago.  And I can't understand how they maintain that bulk during the season without using. 

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that Zeller has lost most or a lot of the muscle he gained in the offseason?  I'm not criticizing.  That's what you should expect. 

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Lebron dropped 15 pounds of muscle in a few weeks and the media heralded it.  I never thought that was a good thing.  (Actually, I think it's a bit suspicious.)  His strength was a huge advantage for him.  He doesn't quite look the same this year.  He's still the best in the league, but the gap has narrowed.

This is most likely due to a powerful thermogenic like clenbuterol. I've had some friends use it before, and they've said it's ridiculously powerful.  Works like a dream, but you feel like poo while using it.

It's traditionally thought that getting lighter in your aging years is better for you health in basketball, especially joints. But I think you're right in Lebron's case; his size and strength were huge for him and their absence hurts his game.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

At the height of the steroid era, there were a dozen or more guys hitting 40 home runs.  Last season there was one.

I've long thought NBA players were using.  They are so much more muscular than there were 20 years ago.  And I can't understand how they maintain that bulk during the season without using. 

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that Zeller has lost most or a lot of the muscle he gained in the offseason?  I'm not criticizing.  That's what you should expect.

To the bolded:

Those are three players the NBA has suspended for steroid use during the years that they were using.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 01:31:20 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

To the bolded:

Those are three players the NBA has suspended for steroid use during the years that they were using.

Yeah, even guys who aren't that muscular are using (not unlike Andy Pettite). I think there are a lot of guys getting away with it.  Derrick Rose has stated he thinks it's a problem which is being ignored by the league.

MLB didn't catch many guys until they ramped up their testing and began investigating.  Now the power numbers are down across the league.