Author Topic: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?  (Read 113855 times)

Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Someone asked this and it's totally valid for its own thread.

Good places in no order
Lithuania
Warsaw
Riga
Tallin Estonia
Chicago
NYC
Dover NH.....DO NOT underestimate DOVER New Hampshire!
North Carolina
Slovakia
Most of France
Washington DC
Orlando
Kentucky. Nice trees and restaurants
Missouri ...the food bars that cost like $3 and make you obese overnight alone are worth it
Boston/Concord/Lexington/Salem/Cambridge
Dublin
Montreal
Newport RI (mansions)
East Middlebury VT...specifically..the Waybury Inn...where they filmed the exteriors for Newhart.
Gettysburg
San Francisco....especially Muir Woods
Honolulu area
Seattle
Antietam
Harper's Ferry WV
Bath
Stonehenge
Windsor Castle

Places that disappointed
Helsinki......boringest....place....on....Earth
Maui
Minnesota
Philly
London ...fine. It just doesn't reach the hype and there was trash everywhere
Copenhagen...liked some of it. Very walkable and quieter than lots of cities

Arizona.....eh. It was ok. Decent. Tombstone was good. Grand Canyon was ok

LA....eh. It wasn't great. Amazed this place gets so much attention. Like a big warm New Jersey.

Tijuana Mexico.....it was ok back in the early 90s, but it in the new edition of Star Wars Ben Kenobi is going to say "Mos Eisley space port. You will never find a more reched hive of scum and villainy." And Luke will say "Not even Tijuana?"  and Ben will say "No. It's not as bad as Tijuana of course. Nowhere is that bad. I'm a freakin Jedi master and even I wouldn't go to Tijuana. I meant of the places you could actually go to". Absolute exhibit #1 on my "if there's a palm tree, just don't go" theory. Somalia is #2. Not that I've been to Somalia

The Florida keys. I only got about half way down, but still.

Ohio.  Once you get past all the people with one tooth that don't speak English and are ugly as Yoda on a bad day (the Ohio State fans) it's a pretty nice place.   Actually. That was just a dig at Ohio State fans.  Go STATE!  Never graduate.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:57:03 AM by eja117 »

Re: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Even when discarding feelings influenced by the sports rivalries, I think NYC and LA are two of the best AND worst places to visit. Vegas is a distant second in this category.

I love visiting Boston, Portland (ME and OR), Miami, and Seattle.

When I was in the Army, I did some training in places I would never want to return, but for the most part, that was due to the training grounds, not the region. I can't really think of a place I hate to go. Maybe I need to get out more.

“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline waiting for #18

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Loved Thailand

Didn't like Cancun.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Best:
The Gold Coast, Brisbane Australia - Tropical, beach surfer community on the Northern Coast of Australia, near the Great Barrier Reef.  Everyone gets out of work at 4 pm, drinks until 1am. 

Worst:
New Orleans - I know a lot of people love this place, but I found the city to be ugly, dirty and everything smelled like p--- and stale beer.  Too many people who cannot hold their liquor.  Not my kind of thing.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I loved Paris, however cliche that may be. The Eiffel Tower was amazing. Rome and Italy in general wasn't as exciting for me. Just didn't impress me for some reason.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22

Good places
Lithuania
Warsaw
Riga
Chicago
NYC
North Carolina
Slovakia
Most of France
Washington DC
Orlando
Missouri ...the food bars that cost like $3 and make you obese overnight alone are worth it
Boston

haha, Dover NH?  How come?  I lived in Portsmouth (just moved to Kittery), so have been to Dover many times, and have played ball there on occasion..... but why the Dover love?  Most of my recent Dover visits have been to take my kids to the Children's Museum.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Best place I have ever traveled was to Tanzania and Kenya.  It is just absolutely incredible to see the animals in their natural environment.  It really is exactly like the nature films.

However, I traveled there before 9-11, and at a time when Kenya's government was a bit more stable, so I am not sure I would have the same experience going back...

I also am not ashamed to say I am a sucker for Disneyworld. 

Worst is a little tougher, since I just like traveling in general, and most bad experiences have less to do with the actual place, and more to do with individual experiences.  If I had to say someplace though, I would go with Philly.  Just an uglier version of Boston.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Good places
Lithuania
Warsaw
Riga
Chicago
NYC
North Carolina
Slovakia
Most of France
Washington DC
Orlando
Boston

haha, Dover NH?  How come?  I lived in Portsmouth (just moved to Kittery), so have been to Dover many times, and have played ball there on occasion..... but why the Dover love?  Most of my recent Dover visits have been to take my kids to the Children's Museum.
Good shopping and chain restaurants!   Granted I'm not sure I'd want to be there in winter, unless I'm skiing somewhere nearby

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  If I had to say someplace though, I would go with Philly.  Just an uglier version of Boston.
Yup. He's been to Philly.  Good Vietnamese food though.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I agree with Chris...I have never been to a "worst" place, but have had lots of "bests".   Any problems I have had have been more to do with "who" rather than what or where.  Flew to Ireland with my family(my mom and four siblings) with a tour group...less than a month after 9/11.   Swore I would never go on another tour (although I had the best time with my family, and the Irish people were wonderful, some on the tour were downright nasty!)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Hard to beat Costa Rica. Holland and Austria were quite amazing.

As far as bad, I was in Oakland and pulled off the exit looking for a gas station and turned down the wrong street late evening. Not really the best place to be driving a nice rental car wearing a suit...I'd list that as the worst place.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Best:  Anywhere in Alaska.  Malaga.  Bermuda.

Worst: Morocco...Spent a day there and was terrified the whole time.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Best:  Anywhere in Alaska.  Malaga.  Bermuda.

Worst: Morocco...Spent a day there and was terrified the whole time.
Amazingly Morroco actually fits my theory of travel I think.  No wait. It doesn't. It wasn't in the Brit empire I don't think.   Please expand

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:46:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I agree with Chris...I have never been to a "worst" place, but have had lots of "bests".   Any problems I have had have been more to do with "who" rather than what or where.  Flew to Ireland with my family(my mom and four siblings) with a tour group...less than a month after 9/11.   Swore I would never go on another tour (although I had the best time with my family, and the Irish people were wonderful, some on the tour were downright nasty!)
I agree with you.  Never really went to a 'worst' place on a trip but went to some places I liked more than others.
Great places:
Germany -- the Rhine, Black Forest, Lake Constance and Alps areas. Hope to get back to see more of that country some day.
Spain -- southern coast including trips to Gibraltar and Morocco (one of the best meals I've ever had in my life was in a hidden restaurant in the alleys of Tangiers).
Nova Scotia -- probably not your cup of tea if you don't like scenery and relaxation.
North Carolina -- Atlantic Beach section.
Bermuda -- love the scooters, beaches and snorkeling.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Best places Key West,Bahamas, and Memphis

Worst West Virgina. Went with my best friend's family and the trip and everything was fun cause we drove but other then that the whole place sucked.

I will say Memphis was fun because we went during the Liberty Bowl and went to Beale street very cool place. Key West went with my girlfriends family was a lot of fun stayed at her grandfathers manison on the beach and was an amazing place. The view was amazing waking up to it everyday. Well thanks for reading!