Author Topic: Lester Hudson sent down to Maine  (Read 12732 times)

Lester Hudson sent down to Maine
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The morning after experiencing the high of his first NBA game in his hometown, Lester Hudson will take a step down to the D-League. But he won’t be gone long.

The rookie will join the Maine Red Claws today and play games at Erie tomorrow and Thursday and at home against Fort Wayne Saturday. He will be back with the Celtics [team stats] for their game against Minnesota Sunday.

Doc Rivers still likes the point guard very much, but he’s played just 49 minutes after a DNP last night in the 110-105 win against the Grizzlies.

“He’s on a very good team where it’s very difficult to get minutes, but that hasn’t sidetracked his work,” Rivers said. “We’re going to send him down pretty soon to the NBDL for a week or so to get him some games, because I don’t like our young guys going these long stretches without playing games. And then we’re going to bring him back. I think that will help him.”

Link

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Lester Hudson sent down to Maine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
You mean sent up to Maine?

Good luck to Lester for this little vacation.  I think he has the ability to absolutely scorch the competition he'll face down there.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Glad to here it won't be a long stay for Hudson. Doc and everybody else seems to like the guy. Maybe he'll have a role on this team by the end of the season, or next year.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Who has already been to a Red Claw game?

Easy to get good seats on a Saturday night?  No concern about selling out, right?

Scorch 'em Lester!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This will be good for Lester.  I don't think he needs the NBDL as much as some young guys, but getting some PT can't hurt.

I am curious to see what they do with the last active spot on the roster.  Will they bring Walker back up?  Will they just go ahead with 11 guys?

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Actually, after Doc's comments about Tony's troubles handling the ball (and somewhat backhanded compliment about his defense), I am starting to wonder if there is more to this trip for Hudson.  I wonder if they are sending him down to get him back into the flow of playing regularly, while they give Tony one last chance, and then they will give Hudson a chance to get those minutes running the team off the bench when he returns.

Or on the other hand, perhaps they are trying to bring Walker back, in order to take Tony's minutes?

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Honestly, once Davis and Daniels are back, I would expect Hudson, Giddens, and Walker to be playing some major minutes for the Red Claws as I don't see any ever be on the active list if on the team with a full healthy compliment of 15 players.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »

Offline JFoss

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1

Easy to get good seats on a Saturday night?  No concern about selling out, right?

Scorch 'em Lester!

I have season tickets. Both games so this year have been sold out, and I expect Saturday's will be as well.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Scorch 'em Lester!

I have season tickets. Both games so this year have been sold out, and I expect Saturday's will be as well.

Portland has got to rank right up there as one of the top minor league cities in America.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Honestly, once Davis and Daniels are back, I would expect Hudson, Giddens, and Walker to be playing some major minutes for the Red Claws as I don't see any ever be on the active list if on the team with a full healthy compliment of 15 players.

Just for clarification, only two of our players can be in the D-League at a given time.  I agree, though, that those all three are due for some D-League minutes.

I wonder if the reason that the team is sending Walker and Hudson down, rather than Giddens, is because they know Giddens has no future with the club, while the other two might.  If that's the case, it makes sense to spend your developmental time on the two potential prospects.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I went to the Red Claw game on Sunday night. Pretty fun time. Except Bill Walker didnt do jack. But the place was pretty packed and it was an all around fun time. You can get tickets for $5 and there isnt a bad seat in the house
Green 18!

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hudson needs time to play. No doubt he will tear up d league (especially with nba practice under his belt and playing a few games)

With house, t allen, daniels doc will not give talented kid a chance. Honestly its ridiculous but thats his style.

Next year i'm sure danny will give hudson first chance to get the backup role. House won't be resigned (i'm sure he wants 3 million north per season). If for some reason hudson fails in the summer league then we pick another backup

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The greatest thing about our affiliation with Maine is that Austin Ainge will be running our plays, and will be specifically working to improve our players.  When we shared an affiliate with Utah, it was very clear that the Jazz players and the Jazz system had priority.  Now, ours do.

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hudson needs time to play. No doubt he will tear up d league (especially with nba practice under his belt and playing a few games)

With house, t allen, daniels doc will not give talented kid a chance. Honestly its ridiculous but thats his style.

Next year i'm sure danny will give hudson first chance to get the backup role. House won't be resigned (i'm sure he wants 3 million north per season). If for some reason hudson fails in the summer league then we pick another backup
I wouldn't be so sure. If House takes a pay cut, I could see him returning on a two year deal with a partially guaranteed second year. Say 2 years at $4 million with the second year partially guaranteed to $500K. Basically makes it a one year $2.5 million contract if he is released before a certain date.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Actually, after Doc's comments about Tony's troubles handling the ball (and somewhat backhanded compliment about his defense), I am starting to wonder if there is more to this trip for Hudson.  I wonder if they are sending him down to get him back into the flow of playing regularly, while they give Tony one last chance, and then they will give Hudson a chance to get those minutes running the team off the bench when he returns.

Or on the other hand, perhaps they are trying to bring Walker back, in order to take Tony's minutes?
ooh i like these thoughts!
I am surprised Hudson was heading down which as stated maybe its just to get into playing shape.  To me Giddens should be down and walker up since we need help at sf with daniels out.  Also with daniels out makes sense to have extra pg.  We have enough sg, ray, tony, eddie, giddens