Poll

What is the greatest ever TV show (non-animated)?

Cheers
Frasier
Heroes
House
LOST
M*A*S*H
Scrubs
Seinfeld
The Sopranos
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The Wire
The X-Files
Other
All in the Family
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The Cosby Show
Roseanne

Author Topic: Best Ever TV show  (Read 36818 times)

Re: Best Ever TV show
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I went with Cheers.
I mean, a series that
has this guy in it

must surely be the best there is  ;)

Cliff on Jeopardy was one of the funniest things ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

edit:  actually, just watched it again, and it wasn't quite as hilarious as I remembered, but still pretty funny
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:34:07 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I know that Flight of the Conchords has only had one season, but has already made me laugh harder and more often than 95% of the sitcoms I have ever seen combined.

I enjoy Law & Order Criminal Intent, though lately the story line has been getting a little wacky. Every show seems to emphasize how unstable D'Onofrio is, and it's getting stale IMO.

I was an X-Files fan, but I'll clarify that I really only enjoyed the ones where the story started and finished in 1-2 episodes. I couldn't have given a crap about his missing sister or the cigarette smoking man. When Mulder left and they replaced him with the T-1000, I stopped watching.

As others have mentioned: Seinfeld, The Simpsons, South Park, The State, and SNL have all made me laugh through the years.

Oh and a little before my time, but how about some love for Moonlighting?

Edit: And I agree with Neurotic Guy regarding MWC. Taking away the claim that it was somehow groundbreaking, I don't really see what that show had going for it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:27:45 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
IMDB has Married with Children at 1987 and The Simpsons at 1989, so Bundy came first.  Both Fox shows too if I am not mistaken.

I always like Married because it always found a away to make fun of the mainstream sitcoms.  I can see how some people wouldn't like it and how some would.  But you can't argue that there is some funny stuff in there, like No Ma'am and Grandmaster B.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
How about "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".  I guess it's like Seinfield where it makes fun of just everyday awkward situations.  The lack of laughtrack just makes the situations funnier.  The plot develops in a normal way, like nothing completely out of ordinary to get the show started, but they get into some really interesting situations.  Like the episode where the guy is trying to get laid with a antiabortion girl, or when the guys are trying to sell their grandpa's old Nazi uniform, or the one where they get a new promoter for their bar but the guy turns it into a gay bar.  Those things alone might not sound very funny, but when you see the episode and how everything develops, then it gets really funny.

Another FX series that only survived one season was "Overthere".  Has anyone seen it?  It was on a couple of years ago.  Talking about character developments, the series follows a group of soldiers in Iraq.  The situations where they are put in are not necessarily realistic for a group of soldiers to be going through all those things throughout one trip, but the situations are probably realistic (I am assuming) to the situations there.  For example, one of the guys gets his leg blown off, they go in search of a Taliban soldier through a small Iraqi town, serving at checkpoints, loss of a family member in the States and dealing with being away from family and friends.  The story was good and the ending always left you waiting for more from another episode.  Unfortunately the show only lasted for one season and I have never heard of again.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »

Offline Lucky

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
The Man Show 8) 8)

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The thing that I think makes the Fresh Prince great is that so many people watched it, from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and colors.  It doesn't matter if they like slapstick, low-brow humor, or more intelligent, sophisticated humor.

There have been multiple occassions when I've been hanging out with a bunch of people from all different walks of life, with completely different interests, and somebody is flipping through the channels but no one can agree on what to watch.  Then Fresh Prince comes on and everyone is happy.

I don't know about the over 30 crowd, but I think this definitely true for the under 30 crowd.

I know people who don't like shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, 24, X-Files, whatever.  I don't know anybody who doesn't like Fresh Prince.

If you have different types of friends, test it out.  Ask a friend from an upper class walk of life if they like Fresh Prince, then ask a lower class friend.  Ask a white person, ask a black person, ask a hispanic person.  Ask a person who doesn't really watch sitcoms, ask a person who only watches dramas or reality programs.  Ask a person who likes hip hop, ask a person who likes rock.  Ask someone with a dry sense of humor, ask someone with a slap stick sense of humor.  I'm telling you almost everyone likes Fresh Prince.  Now if you asked this same wide range of people about any other show on the list, I don't think any show will be as universally liked as Fresh Prince.  This doesn't necessarily make Fresh Prince the best, but I think it definitely says something about the show.

Never gave a TP before but this deserved one.

Totally relate to this and kudos for a terrific post.

Fresh Prince is def. NOT one-dimensional and it is one of the best TV shows of ALL time, not just comedy/sit-com genre. I wish it went a bit longer but Will Smith had to go and be a movie star so what can you do lol!

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I have to recommend Dexter as well.....(but can't be best show ever since it is too new).

Best show ever has to be Night Court.....(ok maybe not, but that's my vote).

Runner up: Charles in Charge!

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »

Offline no kidding

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
It surprises me that no one's advocated The Rockford Files, especially on a blog like this. Jimmy was the kind of guy who'd work to make it back to the trailer in time to catch the game on t.v. with Rocky. Of course, somebody was always barging in with some trouble, but you knew Jimmy would rather be watching that game.

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:58 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
They should bring this show back:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxmsYdc5wyc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxmsYdc5wyc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:43 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Buffy is the best TV show ever - sounds crazy but not if you watched them..during the run. Right now Dexter is great and I like Prison Break and 24. The Wire was great as well. What these shows will (and have lacked) is the ability to sustain greatness.

I think the Shield has its moments as well. Also that terminator show is surprisingly good (albeit not likely to make any best ever list).

Pete

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Wow, Seinfeld has absolutely demolished the rest. Why?

Twin Peaks people. With Lost and 24 a very close second and third.

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Other-
Honeymooners,
Batman
Fawlty Towers

TV wasn't invented in 1980 you know!!
Most of the shows on the list, with the exception of Scrubs and Star Trek I either don't know or just can't stand. And Futurama and the Simpsons don't qualify because they're animated.
OK, I guess I'll go back to my Buster Keaton DVD now :)

« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Miami Vice.

Crockett & Tubbs were a dynamic duo.

In today's tv, I love Lost.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2008, 03:03:22 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Other-
Honeymooners,
Batman
Fawlty Towers

TV wasn't invented in 1980 you know!!
Most of the shows on the list, with the exception of Scrubs and Star Trek I either don't know or just can't stand. And Futurama and the Simpsons don't qualify because they're animated.
OK, I guess I'll go back to my Buster Keaton DVD now :)

Umm... what?  Why would you ever disqualify a show because it is animated?  It's the same medium, a different genre.

You listed batman so I am assuming you mean the campy 60s (50s?) show...... WHOA.

Also... primarily at CelticMaestro's prompting I have now added Twin Peaks to the Netflix list... ringing in at 183 on down.

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:42 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Shupac-
What I meant was that I'd add Futurama and The Simpsons, but check the OP. Right in the first line it
 says "non-animated". Sorry that I was unclear. I love Futurama- that would actually be my #1.
And, although I may not agree with some Celticbloggers about TV tastes, I'm very glad to see that  Roseanne has a 0% rating.