3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 51053 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Jimmy Butler is taking next step in six-week-long process aimed at getting the All-Star out of Minnesota by sitting tonight against Utah, and could lead to extended absence for Butler, league sources tell me and @JonKrawczynski.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1057673096621146112?s=21

Butler started contemplating not playing tonight on Tuesday, and the final decision was made Wednesday morning, sources tell me and @JonKrawczynski. Timberwolves termed it "general soreness and precautionary rest,” but Butler informed Tom Thibodeau of his decision.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1057673222089515009?s=21

« Reply #406 on: October 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Wow!! Hate see athletes like Butler, Kawhi Leonard, LeVeon Bell, etc. act like this..i know its a business also but they get pay millions to play a SPORT..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #407 on: October 31, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
I get asking for a trade, but sitting games when your healthy to force a trade is violation of his contract and they should refuse to pay him until he plays.

« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wow!! Hate see athletes like Butler, Kawhi Leonard, LeVeon Bell, etc. act like this..i know its a business also but they get pay millions to play a SPORT..

Yep, sounds like Kawhi situation 2.0

Bell’s different because they’ve franchise tagged him twice and allegedly lowballed him in extension talks

« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2018, 05:34:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I really don't like it when people say athletes are silly when they sit out in these situations because they get paid to play a sport.

These athletes, especially in the case of Jimmy Butler, are probably more dedicated to their craft than most fans are to theirs. Butler's diet, sleeping habits, workout routine, etc. go far beyond a normal 8-10 hour a day, 6 day a week type job. This is a life-style.

If he prefers to go elsewhere, and can use the leverage he does have to get there, who are we to question the decisions of his life? Who are we to denigrate his decisions because his craft is a game, or entertainment.

It stinks for the Wolves. It also stinks for NBA fans that might want to see Butler play. But this decision could mean a 50-100 million dollar difference in his next contract. That doesn't include the marketing bonuses that come from playing in certain markets or on a contending team. If he tore his achilles next game, he could miss all of that.

I respect a man that takes strong action, even if he might get maligned for it. It is definitely in his best interest.

Some might say, "But I don't respect a man that doesn't fulfill his contract." That is true, but then again, if he signed a contract understanding the fines that would come his way if he didn't fulfill that contract, then I'd argue he can still be a man of his word by paying the fines while he sits out and asks for a trade.

« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
I really don't like it when people say athletes are silly when they sit out in these situations because they get paid to play a sport.

These athletes, especially in the case of Jimmy Butler, are probably more dedicated to their craft than most fans are to theirs. Butler's diet, sleeping habits, workout routine, etc. go far beyond a normal 8-10 hour a day, 6 day a week type job. This is a life-style.

If he prefers to go elsewhere, and can use the leverage he does have to get there, who are we to question the decisions of his life? Who are we to denigrate his decisions because his craft is a game, or entertainment.

It stinks for the Wolves. It also stinks for NBA fans that might want to see Butler play. But this decision could mean a 50-100 million dollar difference in his next contract. That doesn't include the marketing bonuses that come from playing in certain markets or on a contending team. If he tore his achilles next game, he could miss all of that.

I respect a man that takes strong action, even if he might get maligned for it. It is definitely in his best interest.

Some might say, "But I don't respect a man that doesn't fulfill his contract." That is true, but then again, if he signed a contract understanding the fines that would come his way if he didn't fulfill that contract, then I'd argue he can still be a man of his word by paying the fines while he sits out and asks for a trade.

Silly , no, but wrong , yes. Butler signed a contract to work for the Twolves. If he refuses to play, he’s not living up to his end of the deal and should not be paid. Nowhere in the contract does it state that the Twolves have to provide him with a supporting cast

« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Silly , no, but wrong , yes. Butler signed a contract to work for the Twolves. If he refuses to play, he’s not living up to his end of the deal and should not be paid. Nowhere in the contract does it state that the Twolves have to provide him with a supporting cast

I think the fines are almost all salary for the game.

But KLeonard claimed injury and got paid for sitting out. Looks like Butler is contemplating the same route. That's shady.

« Reply #412 on: November 01, 2018, 06:12:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553

To be fair, Butler signed a contract with the Bulls.  He never chose to play in Minnesota.  He was traded there and he had no choice in the matter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2018, 07:00:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To be fair, Butler signed a contract with the Bulls.  He never chose to play in Minnesota.  He was traded there and he had no choice in the matter.

That contract was traded, so he should honor it.

« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

eh.  I don't buy that argument at all.  A player should absolutely be allowed to choose where he wants to play.  If he doesn't want to play he shouldn't be forced to.  He shouldn't be paid of course if he doesn't play, but he absolutely shouldn't be forced to honor a contract with a team he didn't sign up to play for. 

« Reply #415 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

eh.  I don't buy that argument at all.  A player should absolutely be allowed to choose where he wants to play.  If he doesn't want to play he shouldn't be forced to.  He shouldn't be paid of course if he doesn't play, but he absolutely shouldn't be forced to honor a contract with a team he didn't sign up to play for. 
that's crap.  that mentality would put an end to any trades between franchises. 

He's getting paid very handsomely to play a game for crying out loud.  if he hates playing in Minnesota that much, let him quit the league and go flip burgers/work a real job and see how fast he warms up to playing in Minny then.

the truth of the matter is he is an employee of the league with a modicum of choice in where he gets to 'work' when he signs a contract.  if he wants to avoid being a trade chip, he can sign shorter contracts or negotiate a no-trade clause in his deal. 

no sympathy whatsoever for overpaid crybabies.

« Reply #416 on: November 01, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He's getting paid very handsomely to play a game for crying out loud.  if he hates playing in Minnesota that much, let him quit the league and go flip burgers/work a real job and see how fast he warms up to playing in Minny then.

the truth of the matter is he is an employee of the league with a modicum of choice in where he gets to 'work' when he signs a contract.  if he wants to avoid being a trade chip, he can sign shorter contracts or negotiate a no-trade clause in his deal. 

this is just silly.  you should absolutely get to choose where you work and no one should be forced to work some place they don't want to work.  Just imagine that in your own life and your own profession.  If he wants to sit out and not get paid, more power to him.  Again, he isn't getting paid if he just decides not to show up.  If he wants to give up millions of dollars, that should be his right.  He never choose to work in Minnesota and he absolutely shouldn't be forced to do so now.

That said, I don't think he just sat out to force a trade.  I think he needs to rest his wrist which he had offseason surgery on. 

« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

this is just silly.  you should absolutely get to choose where you work and no one should be forced to work some place they don't want to work.  Just imagine that in your own life and your own profession.  If he wants to sit out and not get paid, more power to him.  Again, he isn't getting paid if he just decides not to show up.  If he wants to give up millions of dollars, that should be his right.  He never choose to work in Minnesota and he absolutely shouldn't be forced to do so now.

That said, I don't think he just sat out to force a trade.  I think he needs to rest his wrist which he had offseason surgery on. 
you must be one of those fortunate people who's employers don't change locations.  I'm not.  I do have the option to find another employer but there needs to be one in a location I like that has a job opening that will compensate me fairly. 

no sympathy for Butler.  If Minny bothers him that much I'll gladly change jobs and financial compensation with him.   I can't dunk but I'll gladly give it my all in Minny

« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
So many ppl are homeless, sick or having trouble making it day to day..so these athletes make millions of dollars to play a game, they should be very thankful..then some act like kids and dont want to play for a certain team, hope they never play again
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

you must be one of those fortunate people who's employers don't change locations.  I'm not.  I do have the option to find another employer but there needs to be one in a location I like that has a job opening that will compensate me fairly. 

no sympathy for Butler.  If Minny bothers him that much I'll gladly change jobs and financial compensation with him.   I can't dunk but I'll gladly give it my all in Minny
I've actually been transferred by an employer.  It sucks, but you have to make the decision that works for you.  For me, transferring was the right call, but that was of course the same employer.  I knew who I was working for, what it was like, etc.  I've never been forced to switch employers or cities through no control of my own, and I would be surprised if anyone in here did as that really is something unique to professional sports.  You always have a choice on where to work, except to you if you are a professional athlete.  They apparently always have to show up and work even if their whole life is thrown upside down through no fault of their own.  That seems pretty communist to me and I prefer a free society.