Author Topic: Boston Celtics vs OKC Thunder Scrimmage #1 7/24/20  (Read 16495 times)

Re: Boston Celtics vs OKC Thunder Scrimmage #1 7/24/20
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2020, 11:33:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kemba please come back  :-*

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2020, 11:55:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What a disappointment. I waited 4 and a half months for that?

We looked small.

Our defense was awful.

OKC game plan was to attack hoop. And it worked time after time. Because we have no interior defense.

Theis was a wet paper bag v Adams.

OKC looks ready for the playoffs.

We don’t look like a playoff team.

Yuck.

« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2020, 11:58:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Where art thou Romeo ?

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I thought this before the scrimmage, but seeing the team play again after a long hiatus really drives it home for me ---

This team has 8, maybe 9 playoff rotation worthy players on the roster assuming everybody is healthy.

Brad is going to have to fight against his own inclinations and keep a short rotation once these games actually matter.
Brad usually does shorten the rotation come playoffs time, so if we stay healthy (huge if), I think our nine man rotation will be fine.

Unfortunately I only have 7 reliable guys. Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as the best 4 players. Smart and Theis are good rotation guys and Kanter as situational player is useful.

I'm hoping Robert Williams can be a solid back-up big, but he he's still very inexperienced and missed half a year of play. Don't like Wanamaker to play significant minutes again. Neither do I think Ojeleye or Grant Williams can be trusted with meaningful minutes.

Langford is a huge question mark. Don't believe Edwards (I'm sorry, but he's more than awful), Green or Poirier will have a future in Boston.

Let's say R.Williams will hold his own, then we could maximize minutes like this:

Walker 36, Smart 32, Brown 40, Tatum 40, Hayward 36, Theis 24, R.Williams 16, Kanter 16.

As I have said all season our bench is soo thin that only one injury derails our rotation.
I think both Ojeleye and G. Will can give us some good minutes, because they have shown the ability to do so. Brad seems to trust Ojeleye, so hopefully he can give us some good minutes. We might vitally need it.

I agree with you on that, but every shot he takes I expect him to miss (and too often it actually does). If Ojeleye could be decent from three and actually demand enough respect to be even guarded then it would change a lot.

Still believe that the Celtics with Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as your top 4 guys (as players and offensive options) should be a far above average shooting team. And they're NOT. I think the offensive system and the supporting rotation is just not good enough.
Semi is shooting 37% from three this season

On a staggering 1.6 attempts per game.
Completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that he’s now an above average chance to hit a 3 when taken. That’s all he needs to be

I mean no, not really. If you dont think volume matters when determining how good of a shooter someone is or whether they get covered or not in the playoffs then I dont know what to tell you.

I mean he may very well be a solid contributor this post season, but its not like a given or anything.
That’s not at all what I’m saying. My response (to a poster that wasn’t yourself) was concerned with the provably wrong statement that Ojeleye is not “decent” from 3. Last two seasons, sure, but now he’s an above average 3 point shooter.

The idea that teams don’t defend him on the arc is just untrue.

He’s also at career best marks for EFG%, FT%, TS%, turnovers and fouls. He’s slowly trimming away all the rough edges around his game.

Championship teams need guys like this. Raptors had Powell (who has since blossomed without Kawhi), Cavs had Shumpert, Heat had Battier, etc etc. Guys who don’t need much of the ball, but who can hit threes and defend multiple spots

Ya i get it man, my point is we dont actually KNOW that's true. The sample sizes you are working with are just so small that it would not at all be surprising if he shot 30% from 3 in the playoffs. Normal Powell shot 40% on higher volume last year, Shumpert shot similarly on twice the volume during the Cavs run before the playoffs. Battier again similar shooting on almost twice the volume during those seasons.

Semi may be a playoff rotation piece, but the fact he kind of HAS TO BE is concerning. Ideally he's situational guy.
I don’t know how much of a necessity it is. We’ve got 3 bench pieces clearly ahead of him (Smart, Kanter and Wanamaker), so barring a Kemba flare up or Hayward being gone for too long I doubt we’ll see much of him unless we throw bodies at Giannis.

Also, the volume is definitely helpful, but I’m not sure it’s the only thing. In the Heat’s second title run Battier shot 29% on 4 3PA’s a game. Is that preferable to ~2 3PA’s a game at a much higher clip? I don’t think so.

I mean Brad Wanamaker is a pretty low end player for relying on playoff rotation minutes. Thats kind of the problem. This just isnt a very deep team.
I

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2020, 04:26:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Sounds like we got smacked  :(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2020, 07:54:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
cannon fodder for the Lakers and Clippers

Kemba and Hayward have to play 100% as they were signed or Celtics are lost in first round . 

« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wasn’t able to watch the majority of the game but I’m glad nobody here is overreacting to one scrimmage. Phew
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Well...

The Celtics starters played the first half against the OKC starters.

Hayward hit a three with a second left in the first half
 OKC - 47 C's - 42

The bench units played the entire second half... 98-84 final

The Williams brothers +

Edwards, Waters, Green, Kanter and some minutes for Semi. seemed to get all of the second half minutes.

They kept calling it a "scrimmage" so I didn't pay much mind to the play. The Celtics have 4 all star level players + Smart. These players will take up the majority of the minutes in the playoff games with

Smart
Wanamaker
Semi
Grant
Kanter getting bench minutes

If Kemba can't play, I suppose Waters might get some minutes, but, Wanamaker is a veteran who attempted 116 FT's and hit 108
At 93.7% he was second in the NBA, thus, he gets the extra minutes and we can complain about him.

Theis, BTW, looked great. He has literally gotten better each season here and his team mates (the aforementioned all star level players) are very confident in him at both ends.

in his last ten starts- 13.9 ppg

The Celtics might have problems, but, the scrimmage against OKC isn't one of them.

« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Rewatched the game.

Javonte Green was best Celtic last night. Don’t know his box score. But he played hard on both ends.

I have nothing positive to say for any other players.

« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Rewatched the game.

Javonte Green was best Celtic last night. Don’t know his box score. But he played hard on both ends.

Smart was also very good.

« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2020, 04:12:27 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Very disappointed in the performance. Zero defensive effort. Edwards will be flippin' burgers next year. The starters were missing shots especially Tatum. Brown was the best Celtics player. The bench is pretty bad with the exception of Kanter. Wanamaker looked ok.

Romeo was out due to illness. Stevens wants more talking.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:00:27 PM by NorthStation »

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Rewatched the game.

Smart was also very good.

Other than the 0-5 from 3, I agree.

« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
The “starters” not playing at all 2nd half after not playing all that great the 1st one is not a good look either. Seems like we don’t even have an established rotation. Milwaukee and Philly has an established rotation and looked SOLID.

I’m annoyed when Nick is right because I bleed green, but got to call a spade a spade and they don’t look like a top team.
Rofl. Did not miss these overreactions

Wrist slitting starting already?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D