Author Topic: NOT a RUMOR: Suggestion by Ryan Russillo - Rondo for DMC/Evans  (Read 5432 times)

Re: NOT a RUMOR: Suggestion by Ryan Russillo - Rondo for DMC/Evans
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't really see it. I'm intrigued by Cousins, but wonder if he falls in the 'life's too short' category.

Regardless, I only want to trade Rondo now for veterans who can significantly improve the Cs chances of Banner 18 in 2013, and I just don't buy that Cousins is ready for that kind of spotlight right away.

This would obviously be a win now trade and future trade. Tyreke and Cousins for Rondo with a torn ACL would be a steal.

I don't agree that that's obvious. I get the future part, though there are plenty of question marks about Cousins, and Evans is overrated / not worth giving a long term deal, IMO.

More importantly, what I'm saying is that I have serious doubts about the validity of the 'win now' part.

Not that any of this matters, because this deal doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening anyway.

I don't see how you dont think its a no brainer... Rondo is out for the yer and can't contribute anything.

Cousins is a top flight big who can dominate the paint against anyone when dialed in. I think having KG mentor you and simply coming to a new situation where you're playing for something will accomplish that.

Evans instantly becomes the top guard on the team and arguably the top talent. He defends, gets to the lane, and really does everything well accept shoot consistently. Unlike Rondo thought he is a relentless attacker who few can keep in front of them. The guy once averaged 20, 5, and 5. He's one of the few 2 guards who can physically outmatch Wade on the perimeter.

If Cousins and Evans were anywhere near what people think they are the Kings would be challenging for a playoff spot. Imagine sending Bradley and Green to the Kings for their best players besides Cousins and Evans. Would you see them as title contenders? Because that's what we would be in a year or two.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
if we blow it up with KG and Pierce exiting, then at that point why not?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
actually, you'd probably want to hold off on that deal until you had Smoove locked in long term - he might walk if you traded away his best buddy
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't really see it. I'm intrigued by Cousins, but wonder if he falls in the 'life's too short' category.

Regardless, I only want to trade Rondo now for veterans who can significantly improve the Cs chances of Banner 18 in 2013, and I just don't buy that Cousins is ready for that kind of spotlight right away.

This would obviously be a win now trade and future trade. Tyreke and Cousins for Rondo with a torn ACL would be a steal.

I don't agree that that's obvious. I get the future part, though there are plenty of question marks about Cousins, and Evans is overrated / not worth giving a long term deal, IMO.

More importantly, what I'm saying is that I have serious doubts about the validity of the 'win now' part.

Not that any of this matters, because this deal doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening anyway.

I don't see how you dont think its a no brainer... Rondo is out for the yer and can't contribute anything.

Cousins is a top flight big who can dominate the paint against anyone when dialed in. I think having KG mentor you and simply coming to a new situation where you're playing for something will accomplish that.

Evans instantly becomes the top guard on the team and arguably the top talent. He defends, gets to the lane, and really does everything well accept shoot consistently. Unlike Rondo thought he is a relentless attacker who few can keep in front of them. The guy once averaged 20, 5, and 5. He's one of the few 2 guards who can physically outmatch Wade on the perimeter.

I'm on board with the idea of trading Rondo if it means a significantly increased shot at a title this year. So let's just focus on the now, since you're pointing out that Rondo is sidelined and therefore useless in this context.

I like, don't love, Evans. He dominates the ball and can't shoot. He's gotten worse ever year since entering the league, largely because defending him has become A LOT easier -- just give him room, make him shoot. Regardless, could be tricky to integrate with 25 games left, and more importantly, I don't buy that a player like him is needed to win a title. Do we really need a volume scoring guard? I don't see it.

More importantly, Cousins. Yes, skilled and talented. And I don't even care about the Ts. It's how he plays. He's not in good shape. He more or less walks up and down the court. He doesn't really like to get into the post -- prefers to shoot long jumpers. He's a bad defensive player right now. He's very easily distracted by calls and / or baited by opposing players. I think it will take years -- not weeks -- to change the kid. Is he REALLY going to pull himself into line for a title this year? It's a pretty serious stretch to hope for this.

So, what I'm saying is -- if you're going trade Rondo, get guys who are ready now. Ready to battle to the death in a grinding halfcourt series. That's how the Cs will win, if at all. I don't think Cousins is ready.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is one of the few deals I think you would do for Rondo right now.  Although I don't think Sacramento would do it.

It's certainly risky, but you are bolstering the team with a lot of talent for the stretch run this year, and adding two high upside guys to potentially build around going forward. 

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
So he's suggesting something he pretty much saw on these boards..woo

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

If Cousins and Evans were anywhere near what people think they are the Kings would be challenging for a playoff spot. Imagine sending Bradley and Green to the Kings for their best players besides Cousins and Evans. Would you see them as title contenders? Because that's what we would be in a year or two.

I believe in Celtic's management and ownership WAY MORE then I do the Kings. There is evidence that suggests having young guys play around KG and Pierce for a couple years has intangible benefits that can change the course of a player's potential.

Having those two guys around Pierce and Kg for just a couple seasons could change the course of these guys careers as far as professionalism, etc.

The Kings are one of the worst run organizations in Sports. Rondo, Perk, and Baby have all taken lessons and examples they learned from Ray, Paul, and Kg and it's made them better pros. Who has Demarcus or Tyreke had to mentor them? Chuck Hayes? Lol that's a joke.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I'm on board with the idea of trading Rondo if it means a significantly increased shot at a title this year. So let's just focus on the now, since you're pointing out that Rondo is sidelined and therefore useless in this context.

I like, don't love, Evans. He dominates the ball and can't shoot. He's gotten worse ever year since entering the league, largely because defending him has become A LOT easier -- just give him room, make him shoot. Regardless, could be tricky to integrate with 25 games left, and more importantly, I don't buy that a player like him is needed to win a title. Do we really need a volume scoring guard? I don't see it.

More importantly, Cousins. Yes, skilled and talented. And I don't even care about the Ts. It's how he plays. He's not in good shape. He more or less walks up and down the court. He doesn't really like to get into the post -- prefers to shoot long jumpers. He's a bad defensive player right now. He's very easily distracted by calls and / or baited by opposing players. I think it will take years -- not weeks -- to change the kid. Is he REALLY going to pull himself into line for a title this year? It's a pretty serious stretch to hope for this.

So, what I'm saying is -- if you're going trade Rondo, get guys who are ready now. Ready to battle to the death in a grinding halfcourt series. That's how the Cs will win, if at all. I don't think Cousins is ready.

Again people especially when they are young are prone to being heavily influenced by their environment. Sacramento lacks accountability, leadership, vision, and structure. It's a joke of an organization without direction.

Cousins and Tyreke at this point aren't ready to lead. Give them a couple years under the tutelage of our veterans in an organization that is very structured with a championship vision and you likely see entirely different players.

There talent along with age makes it worth the risk. Especially for a PG whose game is predicated on speed, quickness, and agility coming off an ACL. Rondo's knees are more vital to his success then most players.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
if we blow it up with KG and Pierce exiting, then at that point why not?

I want Evans and Cousins playing along side and learning from Paul and Kevin. Otherwise I probably don't make this deal.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Here's a link on realm. Com saying Rondo is available, posted at 10:27am today..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226228/Rondo-Available-In-Trade-Talks
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here's a link on realm. Com saying Rondo is available, posted at 10:27am today..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226228/Rondo-Available-In-Trade-Talks

Everyone is available.  Its all a matter of the price.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Again people especially when they are young are prone to being heavily influenced by their environment. Sacramento lacks accountability, leadership, vision, and structure. It's a joke of an organization without direction.

Cousins and Tyreke at this point aren't ready to lead. Give them a couple years under the tutelage of our veterans in an organization that is very structured with a championship vision and you likely see entirely different players.

There talent along with age makes it worth the risk. Especially for a PG whose game is predicated on speed, quickness, and agility coming off an ACL. Rondo's knees are more vital to his success then most players.

Totally get it. Get Sacramento. But it's not all on the organization. These guys have flaws that won't be fixed overnight.

I maintain my perspective. There are legit basketball reasons why I have doubts about their ability to help deliver a championship in 2013.

Different conversation if we're talking about beyond this year...

TP for the work here...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Totally get it. Get Sacramento. But it's not all on the organization. These guys have flaws that won't be fixed overnight.

I maintain my perspective. There are legit basketball reasons why I have doubts about their ability to help deliver a championship in 2013.

Different conversation if we're talking about beyond this year...

TP for the work here...

TP  :)

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Has Ryen Rusillo been reading CelticsBlog?  Someone suggests that trade once every couple of weeks around here.

I think it's fairly amusing that blogs like this went from commenting on news about the team to generating news about the team. You'll see questions to Danny or Doc prefaced with "the fans think this" or "the fans are saying" and it's generally what's been the main topic on the blog recently.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Has Ryen Rusillo been reading CelticsBlog?  Someone suggests that trade once every couple of weeks around here.

I think it's fairly amusing that blogs like this went from commenting on news about the team to generating news about the team. You'll see questions to Danny or Doc prefaced with "the fans think this" or "the fans are saying" and it's generally what's been the main topic on the blog recently.

Right.  Who needs CSNNE, FSNE, WEEI, ESPN and the like?  We're always one step ahead of all of them. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson