Author Topic: 76ers Fans Panicking over Fultz; Many Deeming Trade a Disaster  (Read 12673 times)

Re: 76ers fans panicking over fultz, many deeming the trade a disaster
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
2x 2nd rounders + cap relief is enough value for me. As currently, he isn't a valuable rotation NBA player.

We agree on that at least.

There are Orlando's and Phoenix's in the NBA. They need help or at least some hope of future at PG position.

Then why turn to a guy with lack thereof and issues?  He is perfect guy for a swing at the fences gamble, high risk, high reward.  But I would perceive help as somone that can immediately step in and help, which I doubt he can at a high level.   Perhaps as you say, on a bad team, where he was sole focus, he could bomb away and prop himself up like he did in college.

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
2x 2nd rounders + cap relief is enough value for me. As currently, he isn't a valuable rotation NBA player.

We agree on that at least.

There are Orlando's and Phoenix's in the NBA. They need help or at least some hope of future at PG position.

Then why turn to a guy with lack thereof and issues?  He is a perfect guy for a swing at the fences gamble, high risk, high reward.  But I would perceive help as someone that can immediately step in and help, which I doubt he can at a high level. Perhaps as you say, on a bad team, where he was the sole focus, he could bomb away and prop himself up as he did in college.
It is a cheap investment. Less pressure. No one expects him to be an Allstar anymore.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't root for Philly in any way, nor do I want them to right the ship.   I recall them ganging on up on Bird.  While, I really respected those Philly teams, I do not respect the new team.  Embiid and Simmons are crybabies, and hard for an old school like me to like.
Me too.  Dr J, Barkley, Malone etc. were worthy opponents.

Embiid is worse than a cry-baby.  He is also full of empty boasting as he tries to intimidate his opponents.  Both Jayson and Jaylen did the stare-down after they scored on him in dramatic fashion. 

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/1054433741450338304?s=21

I just saw this. Man it's almost as if having a guard who can shoot from distance and doesn't panic on drives the second the defense shows any resistance is pretty important in today's NBA.

In fairness to Fultz some of this isn't just him but the cumulative effect of him and Simmons - having two perimeter guys with no outside shot on at once. But that's also kind of his job as a, y'know, shooting guard.

Still time for Fultz to get his stuff together but so far he's not at all compatible with the level they want their team playing at.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:23:54 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Fultz is also better when he doesn't play with both Embiid and Simmons.  He just doesn't mesh that well with both them and would be much better served leading the 2nd unit.  The problem is the Sixers are really trying to control Redick's minutes and don't want him starting the game to help curb his minutes (and they have no one else that makes any sort of sense to start other than Fultz). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Fultz is also better when he doesn't play with both Embiid and Simmons.  He just doesn't mesh that well with both them and would be much better served leading the 2nd unit.  The problem is the Sixers are really trying to control Redick's minutes and don't want him starting the game to help curb his minutes (and they have no one else that makes any sort of sense to start other than Fultz).

Does it feel like Brown has an order from owners to start fultz? He just isn't ready or helping them win games right now in that role, but they want to have justification for his lofty draft spot and the trade. If it is true they are trying to manage Reddick's minutes, they should start Chandler when he comes back.

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Does it feel like Brown has an order from owners to start fultz? He just isn't ready or helping them win games right now in that role, but they want to have justification for his lofty draft spot and the trade. If it is true they are trying to manage Reddick's minutes, they should start Chandler when he comes back.

That is possible but it could be that they just try to get restore his confidence . Benching him now imho would be the final nail

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

That is possible but it could be that they just try to get restore his confidence . Benching him now imho would be the final nail
agree, it was my opinion that she should have started the season coming off the bench.

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah they are managing Redick's minutes.  He generally starts the 2nd half, but they are really trying to control his overall minutes.  He is down about 1.5 mpg from last year.  I think they'd like the minutes to be lower, but they can't really play Fultz more.  Once Chandler is back, I think you see Redick's minutes go down a bit more and you may be right that they might just start Chandler.  Redick isn't injured, he is just getting older and they know they absolutely need his shooting, so they want to keep him as fresh as possible. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

They should be panicking Fultz is looking more and more like a blown pick.  All that tanking and all those picks, you're bound to miss on one of them.   Of course, with Fultz the signs were there his only college year when he vanished for half the year, and could not play his team,which good college players can, into the NCAA March Madness.  They drank the Kool-aid and got on the hype train.   People did here, too, it happens, no one is right all the time.

I don't root for Philly in any way, nor do I want them to right the ship.   I recall them ganging on up on Bird.  While, I really respected those Philly teams, I do not respect the new team.  Embiid and Simmons are crybabies, and hard for an old school like me to like.

yeah but this would be the 2nd one.  People forget that Okafor was a bust too.

2017: Markelle Fultz (#1)
2016: Ben Simmons (#1)
2015: Jahlil Okafor (#3)
2014: Joel Embiid (#3)
2013: Nerlens Noel (#6)

Having picks this high for 5 consecutive years is astonishing. If Fultz ends up being a huge whiff, Philly should be embarrassed by what they have to show their tanking.  Yes they have a franchise cornerstone in Embiid and a future all star in Simmons, but this team could have been a juggernaut for a decade
Greg

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They should be panicking Fultz is looking more and more like a blown pick.  All that tanking and all those picks, you're bound to miss on one of them.   Of course, with Fultz the signs were there his only college year when he vanished for half the year, and could not play his team,which good college players can, into the NCAA March Madness.  They drank the Kool-aid and got on the hype train.   People did here, too, it happens, no one is right all the time.

Having picks this high for 5 consecutive years is astonishing. If Fultz ends up being a huge whiff, Philly should be embarrassed by what they have to show their tanking.  Yes they have a franchise cornerstone in Embiid and a future all star in Simmons, but this team could have been a juggernaut for a decade
Don’t forget about the colossal whiff that was ET in 2010, ahead of DeMarcus Cousins, Hayward & PG13
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And the player they traded down forin the 1st round in this year's draft, Zhaire Smith, in true Sixer tradition, is hurt and won't be around until Christmas.

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

And the player they traded down forin the 1st round in this year's draft, Zhaire Smith, in true Sixer tradition, is hurt and won't be around until Christmas.

All this is true. I think most experta would say if you get all nba level guys out of that streaky u still did well. I think we here have a tendency to compare our rebuild to others, bottom line is not everybody can out source their tanking.