Author Topic: Go to Perk early in the game  (Read 2385 times)

Go to Perk early in the game
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics continue to have some offensive struggles early in games.  I'd like to see them go to Perkins in the post on a more regular basis to start games.  I remember the Jordan Bulls teams would always start their games with a few possessions called for Cartwright or Longley, just to get things going.  I think the Celtics could do the same with Perk.

I think Perk can now be considered an underrated offensive player.  His short jumper has become respectable, and he has that little hook shot on the block that he hits with surprising regularity.  Because he doesn't generally command a double team, he can score with some consistency against one-on-one coverage.  His biggest problem is that he's SO SLOW with his moves.  I think if they go to him more early, he can develop more confidence on offense and be quicker with his moves.

The Celtics need to do something about their slow offensive starts.  Rather than jacking up jump shots or trying to drive into the heart of the defense when the defense still has fresh legs, I say go into the post and get Perk involved in the game early.  That should help open up driving lanes and spots for the perimeter shooters. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:13:45 PM by TheRev72 »

Re: Go to Perk early in the game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Totally agree.  Perk has been a pretty good offensive player this year.  He looks comfortable and hits a high percentage of his shots.  Plus he's the only inside presence in the starting 5.  As long as he's making good decisions and hitting a high percentage, I say keep feeding him.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
100% agree as well. He is a much better offensive player this year and is really starting to find his game down low. When he gets involved early the rest of his stats seem to pick up and he is less likely to be nasty and complaining and get a T. Feed the beast!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Haha, feed the beast!  And if he's going to keep shooting over 50% I wouldn't mind him getting a LOT more shots.  He's been scoring a lot more efficiently than our jump shooters, and it's not all wide open dunks off of KG passes like he used to get.  He's really making good moves and taking quality shots.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
One other good reason to do this:

It will keep Perk from picking up his signature moving screen foul 32 feet from the hoop within the first two minutes of the game.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

It will keep Perk from picking up his signature moving screen foul 32 feet from the hoop within the first two minutes of the game.

Another good reason. I thought he had finally learned his lesson and passed that torch on to BBD. BBD has picked it up well, but Perk is starting to share that foul load.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Haha, feed the beast!  And if he's going to keep shooting over 50% I wouldn't mind him getting a LOT more shots.  He's been scoring a lot more efficiently than our jump shooters, and it's not all wide open dunks off of KG passes like he used to get.  He's really making good moves and taking quality shots.

FEED THE BEAST.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29

Absolutely.  Involving Perk in a pick and roll that far from the basket, right off the bat, is just asking for foul trouble.  I hadn't thought about that, but it's an excellent point.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I guess it wouldn't hurt to start out with Perk.  But I did hear an interesting point that the Celtics have pretty much started slow in almost ever game.  The one game where they jumped out early in the 1st was against Denver and we know how that games turned out.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
As Tommy Heinsohn said last night,"someone need to give the starters an alarm clock",to let them know the games have started at times. :)

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I actually think that Perk and Rondo are starting to develop a nice two man game out there. It has been good for the both of them. Perk just needs to stop making silly offensive fouls. No obvious hip checks, no pushing the guy with two hands.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm all for getting Perks a touch or 2 early in the game. I felt this way last year too. He has some ability down there, and it'll help keep the opposing defense honest.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Would be a good idea.