Author Topic: The Green Future...  (Read 2600 times)

The Green Future...
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
So I know everyone is all excited about 2010 with Lebron being a free agent...and this year we're talking alot about one day this year of hopefully upgrading our bench...and getting rid of Scalabrine...but I look to the future for Big names to fall into a green jersey...

Allen Iverson - next year - aged or not, he would be THE OFFENSE off the bench and could make it happen, even if he's 40
Shaq - in 2 years - I know he openly talked about a Kobe reunion then, but I would love to see the Diesel trucking in off the bench than any other backup C in this league..
Jason Kidd - next year - Could there be a better PG to backup Rondo??...the answer to that is...yes..Chris Paul but still...
Rasheed Wallace - next year - Technicals or not, the guy produces.
Ron Artest - next year - lock down short pulling down defender with a good but inconsistent shooting touch

The point I make is that there are a good number big names out there that could fall into our laps...the only thing is that to win a ring, you have to settle for less cash, and all 5 of these players are well past their 20 million a year contracts, and if they saved their money, then settling for the vet min to win a ring shouldn't be that hard....
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: The Green Future...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 06:44:29 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
"Allen Iverson - next year - aged or not, he would be THE OFFENSE off the bench and could make it happen, even if he's 40"

AI will "only" be 34 next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Iverson

I don't think he'll still be
balling in 2015  :)

Let's see how Detroit fares with him.
They could very well resign him.

Of all the players you mentioned
I would want only Kidd. Maybe not
even him. Do they buy into the whole
Ubuntu thing? I doubt it...

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:12 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I know those big name dudes are out there but I don't care if the C's are the media circus of the league, I just want the w's to keep on rolling. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, they're the premier players of the league but we're about to win another ring without them and that can continue later as well. It's about character guys, they are those sort of players mind you, but we don't need them. To be honest, I want Big Al to come home above any of those guys, faith in Danny, that's what I have. Holla.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Could definitely see Danny throwing it out there to guys like AI and Kidd, can't see either coming here though. Not really sure I'd want AI to be honest.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:51:19 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i dont know, i think that shaq coming off the bench in the playoffs would be pretty nice. you know he loves his championships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESH1eteqCnE

"you dont wanna get me mad, cause when you get me mad i do certain things... like win championships."

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
we need to be scouting and adding young talent that can step up or be used as trading chips as PGA slow down.
we do not want to become a team of over the hill big names. it will result in a long rebuilding period, and i've had enough of those.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
agreed, but the key to all this is going to be having a core of productive starting stars, as the big three are now.

as the big three age, ainge will not hesitate to trade/let walk way any of them if he thinks it will help the team. this will free up LARGE sums of money with which to sign FA or make trades for stars.

i think allen will be the first one to go given his contract. so strategically, ainge will probably be setting his sets on a great shooter/scorer to replace his points.

who out there would qualify and be available in the next 2 years?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hate Shaq. Wouldn't want him in Celtic green even if he was still in his prime. As for the rest of the list, I really don't care for any of them for the Celtics. Pretty much the only one I like is Allen Iverson. I like Rasheed Wallace too, but you know... he has been putting questionable effort during the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While we are dreamin about who to add as a big name FA in the next couple of years, I have to say I like Marcus Camby as our main big off the bench. I know we need offense, but his D and rebounding would be invaluable for a couple of years. Imagine him alongside Leon Powe.

I also like the idea of Jason Kidd off the bench. Still no scoring, but low mistake and high levels of team defense. I think both would definitely buy into the team concept and self sacrifice for a championship.

Finding shooters to add shouldnt be that hard IMO. especially if the other parts are in place. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:44:40 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't want the Celtics to sign a bunch of over the hill, aging vets.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think while everyone is fighting over the guys who were all-stars (besides the premier top players that we obviously can't afford).  We should be looking at some fairly young players who are have been productive and ready to make big steps in their contribution level and be the next set of all-stars.  While a lot of teams are waiting for the big players to make their decisions they'll be missing out on a lot of the players on the tiers under them, and I think that is what this team needs to take advantage of come the offseason in the coming years.

We have a lot of young talent on this team, we can't rely on aging vets for ever.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 11:22:28 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I think while everyone is fighting over the guys who were all-stars (besides the premier top players that we obviously can't afford).  We should be looking at some fairly young players who are have been productive and ready to make big steps in their contribution level and be the next set of all-stars.  While a lot of teams are waiting for the big players to make their decisions they'll be missing out on a lot of the players on the tiers under them, and I think that is what this team needs to take advantage of come the offseason in the coming years.

We have a lot of young talent on this team, we can't rely on aging vets for ever.

The problem comes with gauging whether our young talent will turn out to be bench talent or actual emerging stars that we can build around.  I think it's safe to say that Rondo has a very bright future, but with the possible exceptions of Perk and Walker I don't think we have anybody else who could potentially reach that level - and each of them have a loooong way to go.