Author Topic: Are we in any team's head more than the Pistons'?  (Read 4856 times)

Are we in any team's head more than the Pistons'?
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Watching last night's game I couldn't help but notice something very striking about the two teams - while we played aggressive, confident ball pretty much throughout the game, Detroit looked tentative, passive, and often listless.  Some of this is due to a tough game against Cleveland on Wednesday night, but it really seems like Detroit doesn't believe they can beat us right now.

So, my question is first, are we in the Pistons' heads right now - have we hurt their confidence (and helped ours) to the point that we have a major psychological edge every time we play them?  If so, is there any team in the league that we own more thoroughly right now? 

The only other candidate I could think of would be the Lakers, but while I wouldn't say they're confident about us, I don't think they're especially afraid either.  Detroit really seems to roll over every time we start to get a lead, and it's become a pattern.

Re: Are we in any team's head more than the Pistons'?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think that you can get into the Pistons heads a lot easier in the regular season than the post season because they are so confident with themselves.

I am assuming when you ask if we are in anyones head more than the Pistons that you are talking about a decent team because a lot of the bad teams will just roll over when we get a decent sized lead. There is no decent team that we are in the head more right now but I fully expect that the Pistons will be as confident as ever when we meet them in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I think after we hand it to the Lakers and bring them down to earth like top tier defensive teams are going to do to them all season (being there's so few that's still a lot of wins) they'll be shaken as well. Finals are going to be funny once again.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I am assuming when you ask if we are in anyones head more than the Pistons that you are talking about a decent team because a lot of the bad teams will just roll over when we get a decent sized lead. There is no decent team that we are in the head more right now but I fully expect that the Pistons will be as confident as ever when we meet them in the playoffs.

We do roll over quite a few teams, but no team so dramatically drops off in effort and will, relative to how they normally play, than the Pistons.  Detroit is not a bad team by any stretch, but it seems like every time we play them, their body language goes to hell by the 2nd quarter and they turn into a bad team very quickly. 

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
No question that we are in the Lakers head the most right now.  Everything they do is geared toward trying to beat the Celtics, and to recover some of their manhood that the C's stripped away during the Finals. 

I saw Kobe interviewed about a week ago, and he couldn't even say, "Celtics".  He kept referring to the C's as "That team".  As in: "When that team beat us last year, they were tougher and stronger.  That team took it from us."

The Lakers coaching staff added time in the weight room for the entire Laker team this season because of what the Celtics did to them.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Define Irony.

If I told you at the beginning of the year that after the first 13 games, we only would have two blowout victories, who would have guessed that both, or even just one, would have been against the Pistons.
Greg

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Define Irony.

If I told you at the beginning of the year that after the first 13 games, we only would have two blowout victories, who would have guessed that both, or even just one, would have been against the Pistons.

We blew out Chicago pretty bad too, but your point is still valid.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Define Irony.

We blew out Chicago pretty bad too, but your point is still valid.

touche` .....completely forgot about that game.
Greg

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Define Irony.

I know - what inspired me to post the thread was sitting around yesterday afternoon and realizing I was looking forward to the game, not because I thought it would be a well-played, competitive game, but because I thought "Oh good, we're playing the Pistons, that'll get us playing well."  Last year anticipating a Pistons game was tense and exciting, this year it feels like an easy W, and it's not because they've gotten much worse.  Saw some of it at the end of the ECF last year too - psychologically they don't feel like they can beat us, and it shows in how they deal with adversity in our games.  Pretty crazy to see what difference a year and several decisive Ws can make. 

And I am VERY curious to see how the Lakers deal with us this year - they're pummeling just about everyone, but if they get cowed or roll over on XMas it'll speak very well to our chances to repeat.

PS The grammar nazi in me forces me to point out that that's not irony, it's just unexpected.  Sorry  ;D

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Define Irony.

It's... It's like Rain on a wedding day. It's like a free ride... when you've already paid.

What?

What do you mean that's not "Ironic"?

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Define Irony.

It's... It's like Rain on a wedding day. It's like a free ride... when you've already paid.

What?

uhh I meant it in the sense that something happened that you wouldnt have expected.  It's a figure of speech, dont know if youre serious or if its a bad attempt at a joke.
Greg

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The Lakers, I think Kobe still wakes up in cold sweats after nightmares about  game 6 of the finals, and the "your not Jordan" chants.  ;D

I honestly feel there isn't a team in the league that could take us when we're playing like we're capable of. We're not in the Pistons head we're just better than them, and we actually get up to play them, instead of coasting. Think about it we have the advantage at almost every position of strength for them. The world class defense that we have and that they lost a long time ago doesn't help them either.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Define Irony.

What?

See, my theory on that song is that Alanis figured, "What could possibly be more ironic than writing a song called "Ironic" with no actual examples of irony in it?"  So what's really ironic is the title...Alanis is very meta like that. Ok threadjack over.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:15 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
yeah WHOOOSHHH!  something just went flying right over my head.

Didnt pick up on the whole Alanis quote.  Def had me scratching my head on that one.
Greg

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't think the Celtics are in the Pistons' heads, the Celtics are just a better team.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson