Author Topic: Will Celt's Have Enough Cap Space In 2010 To Make A Run At A Major Player?  (Read 5089 times)

Re: Will Celt's Have Enough Cap Space In 2010 To Make A Run At A Major Player?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The only way to keep a "youthful" big three, is to trade Ray in the offseason to a team trying to make a run at Lebron, Wade, ...

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think there definitely IS a way to position for a big FA that year, but it would take Pierce opting out...renouncing the rest of the roster isn't a big deal really, as Perk/Powe/KG/Rondo and some rookie deal players is enough of a base if they were to bring in a Dwayne Wade into the mix. They'd likely have a deal in  principle with Pierce to re-sign for mid-level after the renounce him, so he'd probably just sit around waiting to re-up. After that, the team can just fill the roster with vet minimum players and still be title worthy.

But, there are some steps before straight free agency:

1. Youth development: Rajon Rondo, Perkins, Powe, TA, Pruitt, and Bill Walker will have a say in what happens in 2010. People expect Rondo to be a star. If Walker, TA, Pruitt, or even Giddens start to show major flashes late this year and next season the team will adjust accordingly.

2. Trade/sign-and-trade: Depending on the aforementioned youth,  Ray is a prime candidate for S&T after next season or possible trade anytime before then. He isn't going anywhere this year, but as that 2010 FA class gets closer, teams will be juiced about getting a 17 million dollar expiring deal - Boston is in good position here.

3. Pierce opts out - least likely and most complicated, but it IS possible. Even with the number of players the team would have to renounce, they'd still have a core group of 8 players or so and would have plenty of money to flesh the roster out with low-priced scrubs. If the team feels it has a shot at a superstar in his prime, they will work to get him.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
The only way to keep a "youthful" big three, is to trade Ray in the offseason to a team trying to make a run at Lebron, Wade, ...

Yeah, exactly, TP. Am I alone in thinking this is Ray's last full season with the C's? He's money, but shooters are shooters and the decline's begun, I'd deal him now, it's about stocks, not loyalty.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We'll probably have to think about trading/replacing ray with a younger player if we want to maintain a championship caliber team into the future.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 11:18:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, exactly, TP. Am I alone in thinking this is Ray's last full season with the C's? He's money, but shooters are shooters and the decline's begun, I'd deal him now, it's about stocks, not loyalty.
Its not about "stocks" these are people you're talking about. It depends on what happens this year. If we repeat I don't see us trading Ray. If we don't then I think we'll seriously look at what we could get.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think there definitely IS a way to position for a big FA that year, but it would take Pierce opting out...renouncing the rest of the roster isn't a big deal really, as Perk/Powe/KG/Rondo and some rookie deal players is enough of a base if they were to bring in a Dwayne Wade into the mix. They'd likely have a deal in  principle with Pierce to re-sign for mid-level after the renounce him, so he'd probably just sit around waiting to re-up. After that, the team can just fill the roster with vet minimum players and still be title worthy.

A couple of points here:

1) There's conflicting info on whether Pierce has an option;

2) If the team renounces Pierce, it can only sign him with cap space or the minimum exception; they can not use the MLE on him.

You're right, though; Pierce exercising an option and taking a huge paycut is the only realistic way for us to sign a free agent.

As many (including yourself) have alluded to, the most realistic way to bring in a star is to trade Ray next season, when he's an expiring contract.  That wouldn't bring back a Bosh or a Lebron, but it could get the team a second-tier star.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

A couple of points here:

1) There's conflicting info on whether Pierce has an option;

2) If the team renounces Pierce, it can only sign him with cap space or the minimum exception; they can not use the MLE on him.

You're right, though; Pierce exercising an option and taking a huge paycut is the only realistic way for us to sign a free agent.

As many (including yourself) have alluded to, the most realistic way to bring in a star is to trade Ray next season, when he's an expiring contract.  That wouldn't bring back a Bosh or a Lebron, but it could get the team a second-tier star.

I'll say it again. Josh Howard. Nowitski will be able to opt out that same year and may not stay in Dallas. If so Ray's expiring salary as well as Nowitski's coming off the books sets them up pretty nice if we do a Ray Allen for Howard and flotsam this coming off season.

If not him, then, someone like Howard is going to be the type of player we get back for Ray unless someone decides to blow up a team this off season(Charlotte?, Milwaukee?, Phoenix? Washington?). Caron Butler, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Michael Redd, Leandro Barbosa/Boris Diaw combo. Maybe something like that  but even some of those suggestions are far fetched.