Author Topic: IT signs with Denver for veteran’s minimum  (Read 7145 times)

Re: IT signs with Denver for veteran’s minimum
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 01:41:19 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Denver sure has a history on signing short-height players. Earl Boykins...now Isaiah Thomas?!

Don't forget Michael Adams!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 04:45:12 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
From brinks truck to ice cream truck. How the mighty have fallen. I feel bad for IT. Hope he makes the comeback and gets the contract he earned.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 05:15:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Denver - not caring about defense - AT ALL!
predicting: 1st ORTG, 30th DRTG :D

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Denver got a nice little team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Denver sure has a history on signing short-height players. Earl Boykins...now Isaiah Thomas?!

Chris Jackson / Abdul rauf. Too. 😄   I have a good feeling about this for IT. Happy for him

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Go for it IT. Make a lot of teams look stupid that they didn't sign you. 2 million? What a slap in the face. I would think at least 5 million on a prove it deal. Wow!

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hard not to feel bad for IT.  He is kind of right back to where he was a few years ago, viewed as a good bench player, but now with a serious injury/condition.  He will have to work his way back up just like he did while with Boston.  He started as a bench player and ended up the team star.  Let's see if he can do it again.

Denver may be a good spot for him.  They are paying luxury tax on his salary so good for them.  I really have no idea what IT we are going to see but I suspect it is not going to be the 2016-17 version.  His career earnings with this contract will be about $32M.  Really not that bad but at 29 years old, he has really missed out on some money.  Not sure it is anyone's fault, his hip is the problem.  In some ways, maybe he should be thankful that his hip held out as long as it did.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Chris Jackson / Abdul rauf. Too. 😄   I have a good feeling about this for IT. Happy for him
Ty Lawson had his best days there too.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Ty Lawson was under 6 feet as well

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hard not to feel bad for IT.  He is kind of right back to where he was a few years ago, viewed as a good bench player, but now with a serious injury/condition.  He will have to work his way back up just like he did while with Boston.  He started as a bench player and ended up the team star.  Let's see if he can do it again.

Denver may be a good spot for him.  They are paying luxury tax on his salary so good for them.  I really have no idea what IT we are going to see but I suspect it is not going to be the 2016-17 version.  His career earnings with this contract will be about $32M.  Really not that bad but at 29 years old, he has really missed out on some money.  Not sure it is anyone's fault, his hip is the problem.  In some ways, maybe he should be thankful that his hip held out as long as it did.
Aren't they out of the tax entirely now as a result of the Nets trade?

But yeah I like Denver a lot.  They needed a back-up PG and scoring on their bench, so this could actually be a great get for both IT and the team. 

PG - Murray, IT
SG - Harris, Barton, Beasley
SF - Porter, Craig, Vanderbilt
PF - Millsap, Lyles, Hernangomez, Lydon
C - Jokic, Plumlee

A little weak at SF, but a pretty nice 2 deep rotation at every other position.  that said, I'm not even sure this is a playoff team in the West, which just shows how deep the West actually is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
He’s going to end up playing for the minimum or close to it the rest of his career. His defensive issues and health are 2 big questions marks that won’t escape anyone’s head

Hogwash.

If he puts up 23+ ppg again teams will quickly forget.

I know it’s the “in” thing on CB right now, to bash IT.... but do you know how many bad players get PAID in this league? He’s an All-NBA talent and even if he doesn’t get back to his peak, he can get a big enough contract. Proven scorer, proven playoff performer.

It’s sad that he settled for a vet min contract, but I assume he took a step back to find the right situation to get the big one.

TP.  Well Said.  If IT produces this year he will absolutely make 8-10 on a 3 year contract.  Teams have money to spend and if IT proves to be healthy and back to his self he will get paid.  Not the brinks truck he wanted but a decent salary.  If he isn't healthy and is a shell of his former self then possibly 3-5m.  I will root for this guy as long as he plays.  If the C's didn't have so many guards I would have loved to have him back coming off the C's bench.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
from hero to zero

he was way overvalued in this forum

He is ultimately a 6th man that got a chance of a lifetime under CBS

I hope he plays well as a backup with the Nuggets.  But doubt he will ever make more than 10 million a season and/or start

good that he has learnt not to say outrageous things

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 09:09:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
From brinks truck to ice cream truck. How the mighty have fallen. I feel bad for IT. Hope he makes the comeback and gets the contract he earned.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Magic should've pounced. They will probably regret that decision as they go back to being one of the worst teams in the East.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Magic should've pounced. They will probably regret that decision as they go back to being one of the worst teams in the East.

Mind-boggling, really. I guess they are just happy with another year tanking.

IT really seems to be getting screwed here. So many other questionable players at getting paid massive amounts of money and a guy who has actually proven himself seems to be barely hanging on in the league.

I would have been happy to bring him back if things go sour with Smart (and pay him a more deserving salary) - really surprised so many teams soured on him. I knew when we made the Kyrie deal that CLE was really after the BKN, but I didn’t realize IT was in Abdel Nader value territory. I hope he can prove himself in a good situation and get what he deserves next year.