Author Topic: Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League: 2014 Offseason: Post Lottery  (Read 326542 times)

Re: Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League: 2014 Offseason: Post Lottery
« Reply #360 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #361 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
c'mon y'all... the more important question here is:

why does a junior high school have Mk's phone number?!?
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #362 on: May 18, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
c'mon y'all... the more important question here is:

why does a junior high school have Mk's phone number?!?

mkogav is here to help. You never know when a question about projecting NBA 10 man-rotations in 2017/18 will come up. Junior high schools, MIT, PTO associations, AARP, NASA JPL, S.H.E.I.L.D., Quantico, etc... they all know who to call.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Also, something is whacky with your table.   Using 25.4 as the average would make very minimal difference.   A couple teams swap places (I move from 4 to 3.  Lovetotrade moves from 2 to 1.  Juggs stays 3rd, but BARELY... since he's still receiving a penalty)   WEbskins is picking 7th either way.   http://i.imgur.com/IAudwOA.png

No there's nothing whacky with my table. I've zeroed out all penalties for teams missing fewer than 50 games b/c I don't think they should be penalized (as I've laid out). This rewards teams --- from 1st to 20th place -- for not missing more than 50 games.

(the first 2 columns are flipped from your table... sorry for making that more confusing)

That Bellevue (missing 53 games) and #Lovetotrade (missing 38) move up -- b/c teams missing 174(!) and 164(!) each dropped a spot -- is logical and a good outcome, because the 2 more active teams benefitted -- by staying relatively still points-wise while the other teams moved alot.

But you're right, the reality is that teams fared about as well in either system. Teams missing 75+ games lost the following draft slots:

Team-based adj.: 0, 1, -2 (actually moved up), 0, 1, 5
League-based adj: 1, 2, -2 (actually moved up), 0, 1, 5

We can't control year-to-year what totals teams end up with --- there's some luck and variance in whether teams lose 1 or 4 spots (based on how bunched up a group of teams will be). all we can do is create a system that makes internally logical sense.

But like i said above,... At the end of the day maybe none of this matters. Teams who miss a lot of games are always gonna be bad and will have less opportunity to get good than active teams.

que sera, sera....
Probably none of it will matter.  Also the lotto can wreck plans.  I've actively tanked to try to get two top 4 picks... I have the #1 and #4 projected picks... but come next week, I could be looking at the #4 and #7 picks.  Last year the team with the 9th worst record won the draft.  So yeah... ultimately it might not make a difference.

I will say, I disagree with you on the idea that only teams who miss "excessive" games should be penalized.  Whether it's 1 game or 174 games, I think adjusting the standings for draft purposes is a good idea.  I think most of the teams that missed under 30 games could have reached 902 if they wanted to... the teams towards the top deliberately leave bad players on their bench so not to taint their average player score.  The thought is that they want to make the most of their 902 games... but if they inadvertently fall short by gaming the system like that, it's perfectly reasonable for them to be slightly adjusted based on the missed games.  And really we're talkin about the difference between #18 and #19.  Really don't think that makes a difference.

Thinking out scenarios in my head, I will say that changing the multiplier to be league-wide average player score does make some logical sense.  That would theoretically close the Russell Westbrook loophole where a team benches their best players to keep their average player score low.  As-is, it does indeed incentivize teams towards the bottom to fill their roster with terrible players to keep their average player score low.  But here's the thing... even if you switch the multiplier to league-wide average, it isn't going to stop teams towards the bottom from playing bad players.  I guess it would add them a little more motivation to fill out their roster and keep their missed games lower, but they'd still be incentivized to fill out their roster with bad players.   Interestingly enough, I'll use myself as an example.  This year, I came very close to exceeding 75 missed games and I owned my pick.  In-fact, I was so concerned about exceeding 75 missed games, that I offered up my own pick + another pick to Kevin for the MMSB pick he owed.  MMSB and myself were pretty close to each other... My thought was that Kevin could get a free pick out of my suffering... since the 75 missed games wouldn't carry over to him if he owned the Bellevue pick.   Kevin turned me down... I tried my best to cycle in bad players daily and ultimately got under 75 missed games, but in the process I ended up raising my average player score higher than MMSB.   I finished with 19.95 as my average player score.  MMSB finished with 19.62.   My pick is projected 4th.  The MMSB pick is projected 3rd.   What's interesting is that if we used the league average (24.5) as the multiplier, my pick would be projected 3rd and MMSB's would be projected 4th.  So the point is, a rule that would be put in place to stifle gamesmanship like my own (purposely trying to keep my average player score low) would actually have helped me in this instance.  Lol.   

Counterpoint to all of this... obsessive players will always find a way to game the system.  I'm fine with it.  I've seen a couple players actively make use of loopholes.  If they are putting in that kind of effort, so be it.  Good for them.  I love the competitive spirit.

I believe you are referring to the Andrew Wiggins loophole
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
#2 - We should maybe consider stricter penalties in general for missed games.   Jacks and TB, for example, did not attempt to field a competitive team this year.  They played within the rules of the league, but they filled their roster with D-league talent and injured players.   150+ missed games is obscene.   Think about this in context of the real NBA.   The Lakers and 76ers sucked this year, but neither team was allowed to say "well we have a bunch of injuries and our rookies are in the d-league... so we're only suiting up 3 guys tonight".   Having stricter penalties for missed games would force a team like Toine Boy's to make tough choices and say, "[dang]... while I like having guys like Dario Saric, Noah Vonleh, Perry Jones and James young on my team... I also need to field a team of NBA talent.  I need to either trade some of these guys or cut them to sign someone who is actually playing games"... It would be a big change, though... since right now an accepted way of rebuilding in this league is hyper-tanking where you fill your entire roster with injured guys and long-term prospects.

I'm not going to go and trade Ricky Rubio, Terrence Jones, Tony Wroten, Jared Sullinger, etc from a rebuilding team in order to amass more games played. It's not tanking when I'm out there trading for LeBron James trying to upgrade my team. You can't fill your team with injuries, it just happens, and it would be ludicrous to have to trade them away. If anything Yahoo should have some injury slots on the roster so you can fill your lineup.

That said, I generally have no problem with incentivizing people to use their games played. But when you're in a league with 200+ keepers, it's not feasible to stop people from holding prospects. My guys averaged 25+ points, but I had a ton of injuries. I shouldn't have to go scoop up a guy averaging 15 on the waiver wire to fill a slot.

I do agree about the top-3 loophole. Not sure the perfect way to fix it, but those are offseason discussions we can definitely continue. Also I'm open to general lottery reform, but it's always a massive challenge to find something that is definitely better than what we have.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/los-angeles-lakers-finish-four-eligible-players-robert-sacre-fouls-out-still-plays-beat-cavaliers-020614
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not going to go and trade Ricky Rubio, Terrence Jones, Tony Wroten, Jared Sullinger, etc from a rebuilding team in order to amass more games played. It's not tanking when I'm out there trading for LeBron James trying to upgrade my team. You can't fill your team with injuries, it just happens, and it would be ludicrous to have to trade them away. If anything Yahoo should have some injury slots on the roster so you can fill your lineup.

What buffoon of a GM traded u LeBron James?!?!?!

Oh wait, never mind.

Mk

DKC Knicks

« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bellevue's calculations: http://i.imgur.com/xkkSNGo.png

Pre-Lotto Rankings

#1 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Toine's boys) = Minnesota Timberwolves
#2 - Lovetotrade = New York Knicks
#3 - Lovetotrade (via Make Me Some Bacon) = Philly 76ers
#4 - Bellevue Leprechauns = LA Lakers
#5 - Lucky Strikes = Orlando Magic
#6 - Lovetotrade (via Dirty Digs Disciples) = Sacramento Kings
#7 - Lucky Strikes (via Webskins) = Denver Nuggets
#8 - Ya'll Hate (via Brahma Bull!) = Detroit Pistons
#9 - Lucky Strikes (via Kwhit10) = Charlotte Hornets
#10 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Jackalopes) = Miami Heat
#11 - ChampKind's X-Tacles = Pacers
#12 - Lovetotrade (via Utah Flash) = Jazz
#13 - Bada Bing = Phoenix Suns
#14 - Tyrion's Team (via Birdman) = Oklahoma City Thunder
-----
#15 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Ya'll Hate)
#16 - Lovetotrade (via Tyrion's Team)
#17 - Tyrion's Team (via Designated Drinkers)
#18 - Lucky Strikes - (via Ubuntu Y'all!)
#19 - Lovetotrade (via Juggernauts)
#20 - Pittsburgh Pisces
#21 - Pittsburgh Pisces (via Toine's Boys)
#22 - Utah Flash (via Lovetotrade)
#23 - Make Me Some Bacon
#24 - Dirty Digs Disciples (via Bellevue Leprechauns)
#25 - Lucky Strikes
#26 - Make Me Some Bacon (via Dirty Digs Disciples)
#27 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Webskins)
#28 - Brahma Bull!!
#29 - Lucky Strikes (via Kwhit10)
#30 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Jackalopes)
#31 - ChampKind's X-Tacles
#32 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Utah Flash)
#33 - Bada Bing
#34 - Birdman
#35 - Juggernauts (via Y'all Hate)
#36 - Bellevue Leprechauns (via Tyrion's Team)
#37 - ChampKind's X-Tacles (via Designated Drinkers)
#38 - Ubuntu Y'all!
#39 - Juggernauts
#40 - Lovetotrade (via Pittsburgh Pisces)

Lotto tonight.  In reality, I'm rooting for two teams to leapfrog the Lakers so that their draft pick goes to Philly (It's top 5 protected, right?)... But I guess if they land a top 4 pick, at least my fantasy team will benefit by it.

« Reply #367 on: May 19, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Bellevue's calculations: http://i.imgur.com/xkkSNGo.png

Pre-Lotto Rankings

#2 - Lovetotrade = New York Knicks
#4 - Bellevue Leprechauns = LA Lakers
-----
#20 - Pittsburgh Pisces
#23 - Make Me Some Bacon
#25 - Lucky Strikes
#28 - Brahma Bull!!
#33 - Bada Bing
#34 - Birdman
#38 - Ubuntu Y'all!
#39 - Juggernauts

Lotto tonight.  In reality, I'm rooting for two teams to leapfrog the Lakers so that their draft pick goes to Philly (It's top 5 protected, right?)... But I guess if they land a top 4 pick, at least my fantasy team will benefit by it.
I would be happy to have Phoenix playing leapfrog tonight ;D
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Oh wait, never mind.

Mk

Oh that's nothing. I know a guy who traded Drummond AND Schroder in a keeper league!!!

« Reply #369 on: May 19, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Oh wait, never mind.

Mk

Oh that's nothing. I know a guy who traded Drummond AND Schroder in a keeper league!!!
I heard that guy practically runs the league though

« Reply #370 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Loooool.   Top 2 picks, baby

« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Here we have our final draft order:

#2 - Bellevue Leprechauns = LA Lakers
#4 - Lovetotrade = New York Knicks
#20 - Pittsburgh Pisces
#23 - Make Me Some Bacon
#25 - Lucky Strikes
#28 - Brahma Bull!!
#33 - Bada Bing
#34 - Birdman
#38 - Ubuntu Y'all!
#39 - Juggernauts

« Reply #372 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Congrats, I had a feeling having the lakers assigned pick was a good omen for you

« Reply #373 on: May 19, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Congrats, I had a feeling having the lakers assigned pick was a good omen for you
It was a win/win... either the Lakers fell on their face (win as a Celtic fan) or they hopped up (win for the Leprechauns)...

I'm also glad I didn't give away my own pick (#2).  I was pretty desperately shopping it around at the trade deadline, because I was afraid of exceeding 75 missed games.  I forget what I offered you, but I definitely at one point offered you what became #2 + additional picks for what became #3.   

You'll be fine though.  I like all the guys in the top 4.

« Reply #374 on: May 19, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff

It was a win/win... either the Lakers fell on their face (win as a Celtic fan) or they hopped up (win for the Leprechauns)...

I'm also glad I didn't give away my own pick (#2).  I was pretty desperately shopping it around at the trade deadline, because I was afraid of exceeding 75 missed games.  I forget what I offered you, but I definitely at one point offered you what became #2 + additional picks for what became #3.   

You'll be fine though.  I like all the guys in the top 4.

Congrats LB, I can't wait to see your team this fall.

Mk

DKC Knicks