Poll

Of The Current Likely Scenarios, What Path Do You Prefer Most?

Play Detroit, Then Toronto
11 (23.9%)
Play Indiana, Then Milwaukee
19 (41.3%)
Really Don't Care. Whoever We Face, Bring It On!
16 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)  (Read 12467 times)

Re: Preference: 1st round opponent
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I think we should play whoever we draw.  Avoiding games is for cowards!   You also get a false sense of how good you are you by beating teams you match up against.  Play through everyone to see what to do for next year.

This is my thinking right here. To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

And being tested only gets them stronger...like the Chicago scare

I would agree if the Celts are not a flawed team.

It's obvious the Celts are not the best team in the NBA this season.

So why pretend that the Celts are the best?

Being smart will give the Celtic fans more games to watch.

This current Celts team is a flawed team.

It's built to beat the Warriors, not teams with quality bigs.

The saving grace is that all teams have flaws, there's no such thing as a perfect team. The stronger teams struggle with chemistry and decisions too.

So if they come together like they did against GS, i'm ok with their chances.

The issue is only how bad they want it.

And not only that...no matter how many allstars a team has, only 5 are out there and only one has the ball.

But ever since the Celts assembled a Big 3 in 2007-08, every team that won a championship usually had multiple All-Stars.

The NBA is a star driven league.

When was the last time a team with only one All-Star won a championship?

You already have 3 stars if you can identify them.

4 with Al.

I didn't even mention Gordan did I?  He's like the forgotten man to me :)  so that's 5...and then Smart improving his shot is just as quality a player as anyone.

Greed and impatience is gonna kill this team, fanbase, and Danny.

The Warriors were waiting for them, and they still disrupted what the champs wanted to do.

Busting up this team will be the silliest thing that Danny has ever done...and there's alot to choose from there

This season the Bucks, Sixers, and Raptors all had 2 All-Stars in the All-Star game.

The Celts only had one, Kyrie.

Al and Gordon are former All-Stars and they sure are not putting up All-Star numbers this season.

Tatum will be a future All-Star.
But he's not there yet.

And if you're including Jaylen Brown as a star player, that's a stretch.

Again the closest example is San Antonio 2014. Tony Parker was their only All Star in 2014 and averaged 16ppg, though they had a future HOF in Tim Duncan averaging 15ppg in the twilight of his career. Then you had Manu who had been picked to a couple of All-Star games prior, he was averaging around 12ppg. Kawhi wasn't an All Star yet, he averaged 12ppg like Manu.

I agree it's a star driven league, but but's not just about the star power, it's how they mesh well. You could collect All Stars in a team and make it like an NBA2k superteam but if there's no chemistry or togetherness they're not going very far (e.g. OKC last season).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think we should play whoever we draw.  Avoiding games is for cowards!   You also get a false sense of how good you are you by beating teams you match up against.  Play through everyone to see what to do for next year.

The saving grace is that all teams have flaws, there's no such thing as a perfect team. The stronger teams struggle with chemistry and decisions too.

And not only that...no matter how many allstars a team has, only 5 are out there and only one has the ball.

But ever since the Celts assembled a Big 3 in 2007-08, every team that won a championship usually had multiple All-Stars.

4 with Al.

I didn't even mention Gordan did I?  He's like the forgotten man to me :)  so that's 5...and then Smart improving his shot is just as quality a player as anyone.

The Warriors were waiting for them, and they still disrupted what the champs wanted to do.

Busting up this team will be the silliest thing that Danny has ever done...and there's alot to choose from there

This season the Bucks, Sixers, and Raptors all had 2 All-Stars in the All-Star game.

Al and Gordon are former All-Stars and they sure are not putting up All-Star numbers this season.

But he's not there yet.

Again the closest example is San Antonio 2014. Tony Parker was their only All Star in 2014 and averaged 16ppg, though they had a future HOF in Tim Duncan averaging 15ppg in the twilight of his career. Then you had Manu who had been picked to a couple of All-Star games prior, he was averaging around 12ppg. Kawhi wasn't an All Star yet, he averaged 12ppg like Manu.

I agree it's a star driven league, but but's not just about the star power, it's how they mesh well. You could collect All Stars in a team and make it like an NBA2k superteam but if there's no chemistry or togetherness they're not going very far (e.g. OKC last season).

And this current Celtics team have chemistry or togetherness?

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:33 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

4 with Al.

But he's not there yet.

2016 - LeBron was only All-Star for Cleveland
2014 - Parker was only All-Star for San Antonio
2011 - Dirk was only All-Star for Dallas

The 2016 Cavs did not win a single game against GSW in the finals.

That Cavs team ended the 73-9 Warriors so yes they did win more than a single game in that finals

My bad.

I was thinking of the 2018 Cavs team.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 12:53:19 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I hope we don't move up to the three seed just to play that Pistons squad. I rather the Celtics play The Sixers or The Pacers.

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2019, 01:07:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I hope we don't move up to the three seed just to play that Pistons squad. I rather the Celtics play The Sixers or The Pacers.

Pretty sure we can take any one of the three teams.

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Pretty sure we can take any one of the three teams.

I think so too but the Pistons seem to be peaking at just the right time.

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2019, 03:06:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

4 with Al.

But he's not there yet.

And this current Celtics team have chemistry or togetherness?

That wasn't in the post I was responding to. You were asking when the last time a team with only one (current) All Star won a championship.

Regarding your second question, I'm sure it's a rhetorical one - a blind man could see that the chemistry hasn't been there with the Celtics. Nonetheless teams can win without a team loaded with All-Stars. Obviously if you have All-Stars + chemistry then you = the Warriors. But if you can't play well together and don't trust each other then I don't think it matters how many All Stars you have you'll still be a disappointment.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Bucks or Raptors bracket?
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2019, 03:45:34 AM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Please give us the Bucks... I really just want to see the Celtics expose these frauds... Bucks fans act like they already won the East

Re: Bucks or Raptors bracket?
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:40 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’d rather have the Bucks. Toronto is a complete team and Kawhi is a killer. Sure, Bucks have Giannis but I feel like Toronto is a bigger threat.
- LilRip

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2019, 04:58:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I’d rather have the Bucks. Toronto is a complete team and Kawhi is a killer. Sure, Bucks have Giannis but I feel like Toronto is a bigger threat.
^this. I do think that we can beat both teams though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08:51 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
We not going to beat either one so it doesnt matter
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if we play well, we can beat both of them.  if we have yet another night of chucking 3's when we're ice cold, we can't beat anyone.

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Prefer being the 3 seed vs Detroit, then the Raptors

Second choice is the 4 or 5 seed vs the Pacers.

Don't really care who they will get in the ECF. Can beat both.

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I have zero preference about playing Toronto or Milwaukee first.  Both opponents are legitimate playoff contenders.  I'm far more focused on our teams ability to reach it's potential.  Whether likely or not, the Celtics have an opportunity to reach a higher ceiling than any other team in the East.

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I would rather have the Bucks. Kawhi is an experienced playoff performer that has been on a competing team his whole career, while Giannis has only had a couple of first round exits.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum