Author Topic: Mike Lowell NOT Traded To Rangers (Updated)  (Read 18201 times)

Re: Mike Lowell Traded To Rangers?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

The prize for the Tigers was Schlereth plus the salary dump, not Jackson.

Yankee fans used to jump up and down about Jose Tabata, too, until they traded him to the Pirates in the Nagy/Marte deal.  Tabata has yet to see his first major league at bat, even with the pathetic Pirates, and he may never get to the majors.

I'd be willing to bet that you could get Cabrera for a lot less than you think, assumning the sox were willing to take on salary.  The rumor is that the Tigers are unhappy with his work ethic:  he likes to party and often shows up for work having gotten little sleep and with a hangover.

I would offer Casey Kelly and Jose Iglesias, and I bet the Tigers would take it.

Except I am not talking about what Yankee's fans think, rather what the major scouting organizations report.  I think Jackson is overrated, but you are severely underrating him. 

And I would bet the prize is Scherzer of all the players...

The Tigers are unhappy with Cabrera for those reasons, which should give us pause as to whether he is someone we would even be interested in.  getting drunk and beating up your wife the night before a playoff elimination game isnt the type of athlete this organization generally goes for.  If Cabrera keeps eating the way he has been, he might be a good fit at d lineman for the Raiders though.

And they would not take just Kelly and Iglesias (you are reading too much into the hype on Iglesias...)

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I heard we are paying 9 million of Lowell's 12 million contract.

So I guess we are "saving" 3 million if we weren't going use Lowell next season.

I also heard we might be trading Buch, Ellsbury and Papelbon to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrerra and then bringing back Coco Crisp.

Buch, Ellsbury, and Papelbon?  Where's that coming from?  ???

That would be a miserable deal.  I think that was probably just made up from someone based on the reports that the sox were showing minor interest in crisp, coupled with people speculating the sox could trade pap, coupled with the fact that buch and ellsbury were asked for for granderson (in other words, useless speculation)

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I, like many people, are hoping for that big acquisition that comes from this move.  I would love if they would go out and get Adrian Gonzalez/Hanley Ramirez type of player (although he's out of the picture now with the Scutaro signing.)  But I think the reality is that Theo is going to be reluctant to give up his top prospects for anybody.  I think he's willing to let 2010 be an average year, and let the older guys move on.

As fans we want our team to be the best, so most of us would do an Adrian Gonzalez deal in a heartbeat, but I think Theo won't jump at anything unless he feels like its truly a great deal or a must for the team.  I'm going to not let my hopes get up and assume we'll see a platoon at left field that doesn't include Jason Bay, and that there won't be a big time 1st/3rd baseman added this off season.

Much respect to Lowell and all that he did during his time in Boston.  Good luck to him in the future.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:26:03 PM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

So I guess we are "saving" 3 million if we weren't going use Lowell next season.

I also heard we might be trading Buch, Ellsbury and Papelbon to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrerra and then bringing back Coco Crisp.

Buch, Ellsbury, and Papelbon?  Where's that coming from?  ???

That would be a miserable deal.  I think that was probably just made up from someone based on the reports that the sox were showing minor interest in crisp, coupled with people speculating the sox could trade pap, coupled with the fact that buch and ellsbury were asked for for granderson (in other words, useless speculation)

Yeah,  I was just curious if that was an actual media report somewhere or if it was just some yahoo on WEEI spouting off something ridiculous.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think the Cabrera talks have gone cold across baseball since the Tigers moved Granderson and Jackson and since they are also looking for big league positional players that are young and will be in their control for a while. That would probably mean something along the lines of Buchholz, Ellsbury and Bard. That's not going to happen. Now would the Sox send Buchholz, Delcarmen, the newly acquired Max Ramirez and a prospect from down in A or AA ball? Probably, but I don't see something like that getting the deal done.

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 01:19:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Out of curiosity why would we bring back coco crisp, or was that a joke I am missing? I thought he was doing even worse in kc then he was here...

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Out of curiosity why would we bring back coco crisp, or was that a joke I am missing? I thought he was doing even worse in kc then he was here...

a reporter mentioned that we had low level interest.  he tore up his shoulder last year.  if he were to sign for cheap, he could be a good 5th outfielder/pinch runner.  I assume that is the extent of the sox interest.  (and something he isnt interested in)

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I like this deal.  I think they needed to trade Lowell, since he no longer can really play 3rd base, and we don't have an opening at DH.  While I am sure he hates to leave, I also do not think he would have been OK with being a part time player.  So the fact that they could get a nice prospect for him, at a valuable position, is much more than I thought would happen.

Now the question is what will happen next.  I am really afraid they are targetting Nick Johnson.  He is Theo's type of player, but he misses a ton of time.  With Drew already on the roster, they can't afford another player that unreliable. 

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Now the question is what will happen next.  I am really afraid they are targetting Nick Johnson.  He is Theo's type of player, but he misses a ton of time.  With Drew already on the roster, they can't afford another player that unreliable. 

I would be really upset if we picked up Nick Johnson.  He has long been one of my least favorite players and I don't have any clue why.  He just bugs me.

Also, if we add him, I think we could make a run for the Most Boring Team of all time
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I like this deal.  I think they needed to trade Lowell, since he no longer can really play 3rd base, and we don't have an opening at DH.  While I am sure he hates to leave, I also do not think he would have been OK with being a part time player.  So the fact that they could get a nice prospect for him, at a valuable position, is much more than I thought would happen.

I think you're very correct in that assessment.  It seems like a perfect storm we can see coming closer.

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I would be really upset if we picked up Nick Johnson.  He has long been one of my least favorite players and I don't have any clue why.  He just bugs me.

Also, if we add him, I think we could make a run for the Most Boring Team of all time

The thing is, I like him as a player.  I think he would improve this team...when he is on the field.  However, he is always injured.  This team already has too many questionmarks to add another guy like that, unless they think Kochman can suddenly reach the potential that got him traded for Texiera.

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59

TP---  I really believe that in a year both Ellsbury and Papelbon will be gone and the Sox really will qualify as the "Most Boring Team of All Time" Theo will have 9 guys who 'work the count' and the games will all be 4 1/2 hours long.
But regarding the post- thanks to Mike Lowell for being a great player and playing hard and hurt.

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

TP---  I really believe that in a year both Ellsbury and Papelbon will be gone and the Sox really will qualify as the "Most Boring Team of All Time" Theo will have 9 guys who 'work the count' and the games will all be 4 1/2 hours long.
But regarding the post- thanks to Mike Lowell for being a great player and playing hard and hurt.

Honestly, I think baseball is boring anyways, so if they are the most boring team ever, but win, then I will be happy. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:39:30 PM by Chris »

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3772
  • Yup

that would be a ton for Cabrera
Yup

Re: Mike Lowell NOT Traded To Rangers
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4756683

The proposed trade between the Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox involving Mike Lowell is off, according to a source.

The reason: Lowell has a torn radial collateral ligament in his right thumb and will have surgery after Christmas.