Author Topic: Mike Lowell NOT Traded To Rangers (Updated)  (Read 18193 times)

Mike Lowell NOT Traded To Rangers (Updated)
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10503520/Sources:-BoSox-ready-to-send-Lowell-to-Texas

According to Ken Rosenthal Lowell has been dealt to Texas for Max Ramirez, pending the owners signing off. The Sox will pay nearly all of Lowells remaining contract, i like but dont love it, i couldnt deal with watching Lowell at 3rd anymore.

Ramirez is a 25 year old catching/first base prospect who struggled and played hurt last year, but in 2008 he hit .354 with 17 homers and a .1096 OPS in AA, he has a career .889 OPS in the minors. Wonder if they Andy Marte him and spin him in a Halladay trade since the Blue Jays want a young catcher. I also would think the Sox try to get Adrian Beltre to play 3rd, they supposedly have shown significant interest in him.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/maximiliano-ramirez.shtml
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:08:47 PM by Big_Matt34 »

Re: Mike Lowell Traded To Rangers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, there's now a fairly significant hole at first or at third.  Do we go after Adrian Gonzalez, or Adrian Beltre?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, there's now a fairly significant hole at first or at third.  Do we go after Adrian Gonzalez, or Adrian Beltre?

Do they plan to move Youk full-time to 3B and have V-Mart at 1B while putting up with another year of Varitek at C (even in limited instances, I cringe)?  Way too big of a gamble, IMO.  Hopefully, they're eyeballing another domino to fall here. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:52:02 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:01 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
Do they plan to move Youk full-time to 3B and have V-Mart at 1B while putting up with another year of Varitek at C?  Way too big of a gamble, IMO.  Hopefully, they're eyeballing another domino to fall here.

There was a report earlier saying they have significant interest in Adrian Beltre. Beltre is probably the best defensive 3B in the game, and here are his numbers away from Safeco the last few year. Last year he was hurt, but he is still only 31, and is a pull hitter so he is probably a good fit at Fenway.

2006 .283/.343/.462/.806
2007 .288/.320/.538/.858
2008 .292/.349/.512/.862
2009 .279/.324/.393/.717

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do they plan to move Youk full-time to 3B and have V-Mart at 1B while putting up with another year of Varitek at C?  Way too big of a gamble, IMO.  Hopefully, they're eyeballing another domino to fall here.

There was a report earlier saying they have significant interest in Adrian Beltre. Beltre is probably the best defensive 3B in the game, and here are his numbers away from Safeco the last few year. Last year he was hurt, but he is still only 31, and is a pull hitter so he is probably a good fit at Fenway.

2006 .283/.343/.462/.806
2007 .288/.320/.538/.858
2008 .292/.349/.512/.862
2009 .279/.324/.393/.717

Yeah, there's gotta be something else here.  Beltre would make a lot of sense.  I guess they still have Kotchman to play 1B worst-case scenario but I can't believe that's the direction they're going. 

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
Yeah, there's gotta be something else here.  Beltre would make a lot of sense.  I guess they still have Kotchman to play 1B worst-case scenario but I can't believe that's the direction they're going. 

We all know how bad they were defensively last year, and a infield of Beltre/Scutaro/Pedroia/Youk is probably the best defensively in baseball and pretty good offensively. I'm thinking its possible Ramirez may be spun off in another deal, id think he would still have value to other teams, not as a centerpiece of a deal but a nice secondary piece.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:26 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1691
Defensively, I'd take Longoria over Beltre.  Just saying.

Anyway, I'm expecting the other shoe to drop on this one.  This deal leaves us with a big hole to be filled at 3B, 1B, or C depending on where they end up using Youkilis and VMart.  I can't imagine we go into next season without that hole being filled.

Maybe Max gets flipped for Beltre or Adrian (though I doubt it).  Or maybe we're just collecting Ramirez's and the next moves will bring Hanley and Manny back into town.

EDIT:  I R Stoopid for thinking we needed to trade for Beltre.  Forgot he was a FA, haha.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:00:29 AM by Atzar »

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

We all know how bad they were defensively last year, and a infield of Beltre/Scutaro/Pedroia/Youk is probably the best defensively in baseball and pretty good offensively. I'm hoping Ramirez may be spun off in another deal, id think he would still have value to other teams, not as a centerpiece of a deal but a nice secondary piece.

That would be a stellar defensive infield. 

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
From the Herald:

The Red Sox and Rangers have been working through the evening to complete a deal that would send third baseman Mike Lowell to the Rangers for catcher Max Ramirez. According to a league source, the teams were haggling over money tonight. But now it appears the deal is done.

According to FoxSports.com, the teams have reached preliminary agreement on a deal that will send Lowell to the Rangers for Ramirez, with the Red Sox eating the majority of his $12 million contract.

The move clears the way for the Red Sox to make an upgrade at third, whether it’s free agent Adrian Beltre, or a trade for a player such as Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla, who could shift across the diamond.

As for Ramirez, he’s an offensive-minded catcher with limited defensive skills who may end up as first base/DH type in the big leagues.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Sad to see Lowell go.  I really appreciated how hard he played here and how good he was considering he was just a throw-in salary dump in the Becket deal.  He was a fan favorite.

On the other hand this marks a clear initiative to move forward by the Sox.  Hopefully this leads to brighter things (like Adrian Gonzalez playing first base for us.)

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:21:15 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Thank God. I never thought they should have resigned in the first place. That being said, Thanks Mike you for the most part proved me wrong. He did play really hard and well for us

Re: Mike Lowell Traded To Rangers?
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I want Gonzo and Halladay.  In this case we'd probably lose Clay and Ellsbury and half our prospects but who cares, this team is boring as constructed, we need Gonzo's bat in Fenway.   

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:38:18 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Mixed emotions ... always loved Mikey and his passion for the game, but I think he's slowing a bit ... will miss him, though.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:28:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Mike would have made a better dh than Ortiz at this stage.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:50:06 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe this paves the way for a trade for Miggy Cabrera, with some sort of V-mart, New Guy, Cabrera, Ortiz, Youk, etc. platoon at first/catcher/third/DH such that Cabrera, Youk, and V-mart are in the lineup every day their healthy.