Author Topic: How do the Sox improve this off-season?  (Read 14571 times)

How do the Sox improve this off-season?
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
A fitting end to a mediocre season.  The Red Sox didn't have the goods this season.  In order to compete with the Yankees we need to get bigger hitting threats in our lineup and a legit #1 pitcher.  We don't have either of those things right now.

Hopefully the Red Sox can make something happen this offseason, because the team needs a revamp.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Pretty terrible performance, it will be interesting to see what changes come in the off-season, it's fairly obvious that there need to be some. I hope Papelbon remembers today next time he opens his mouth about being the best closer, and definitely when it comes time for salary negotiations. He single handedly ended the season for the Red Sox.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Pretty terrible performance, it will be interesting to see what changes come in the off-season, it's fairly obvious that there need to be some. I hope Papelbon remembers today next time he opens his mouth about being the best closer, and definitely when it comes time for salary negotiations. He single handedly ended the season for the Red Sox.

Come on dude, I drink the kool-aid too but the Sox weren't doing anything this year.  They were outhit by the Angels all series.  Yes Paps blew this game, but even if they won this game, the hitting struggles would be to great to overcome.  Like posimpos said, they need to get some more power in their lineup to compete with the best. 

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Oh well...Go Angels I guess
Yup

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Come on dude, I drink the kool-aid too but the Sox weren't doing anything this year.  They were outhit by the Angels all series.  Yes Paps blew this game, but even if they won this game, the hitting struggles would be to great to overcome.  Like posimpos said, they need to get some more power in their lineup to compete with the best. 

Yeah, I agree.  I don't think they need anything drastic, but they need one more big bat in the middle of the lineup.  Otherwise, they're in pretty good shape.  They're strong defensively, have a deep lineup, have strong starting pitching, and a great bullpen. 

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
The sooner baseball is off the radar, the better as far as I am concerned.  I can't stand the pace of the game and I am one of the few Boston natives who is not enamored with the Sox.  I don't know quite how it happened, but I turned off to the Sox after '67 and my feelings were imprinted for life thereafter.

More radio time devoted to the C's and the Pats rather than the non-stop baseball talk sounds good to me.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
This team needs to find a LEGIT clean up hitter.  Everyone says Bay did a good job of replacing Manny, this is not true.  Bay could not hit clean up, his average was not high enough to do it.  Youk was solid at it, but he doesn't bring the fear that Manny brought.  I really hope they don't overpay for Bay this off-season, he's a nice player, no question, but he's not a star player.  As much as I hate to say it Teixeira would have put this team over the top.  He would have been the guy to hit clean up on this team. 
do it

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

That's basically exactly what I said, I never said that there need to be a wholesale changes, I said there need to be some, you seem to have assumed that I meant change the whole team around. You even admit they need another power bat so there's a change, and there will be changes in the bullpen, there always are.

Papelbon sucked today, a lot, I am not one of the people calling for his head, simply saying he sure talks the talk, but today he did not walk the walk. You're jumping to conclusions.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah, I agree.  I don't think they need anything drastic, but they need one more big bat in the middle of the lineup.  Otherwise, they're in pretty good shape.  They're strong defensively, have a deep lineup, have strong starting pitching, and a great bullpen. 

keep dreaming, they do need drastic moves. Lowell, Papi, and Drew all suck, and they have no true #1 starter, and no decent SS. They should have spent $$$ on guys like Texiera and Sabbathia this past winter, but they didn't, so now they are reaping the rewards. In comparison, the celtics went out and got the best FA big man on the market and a great wing player, and they will enjoy a great season.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Steps to actually do something next year....

1. Sign a big bat... (u lose manny and dont add any1 to replace him? Bay is good, but definitely no manny).

2. Get rid of MatsuKAKA...

3. Bring in another Ace(if possible)

I'm p'ed off cuz once we lost the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, we didnt do $#it afterwards. I would have been fine adding sum1 like Abreu, or something. The Red Sox came into this season with "Oh well, let's see what happens" attitude. They didnt accomplish Diddly squat this year. Failure for everyone on the roster(top to bottom), and failure for the entire staff(top to bottom).

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

1. Sign a big bat... (u lose manny and dont add any1 to replace him? Bay is good, but definitely no manny).

I'm p'ed off cuz once we lost the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, we didnt do $#it afterwards. I would have been fine adding sum1 like Abreu, or something. The Red Sox came into this season with "Oh well, let's see what happens" attitude. They didnt accomplish Diddly squat this year. Failure for everyone on the roster(top to bottom), and failure for the entire staff(top to bottom).

I agree. Where are all the people who said we didn't need Halladay?

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

keep dreaming, they do need drastic moves. Lowell, Papi, and Drew all suck, and they have no true #1 starter, and no decent SS. They should have spent $$$ on guys like Texiera and Sabbathia this past winter, but they didn't, so now they are reaping the rewards. In comparison, the celtics went out and got the best FA big man on the market and a great wing player, and they will enjoy a great season.
I think they need to find a shortstop and replace Lowell and Papi no question. However, if you really think Drew sucks that a pretty ignorant viewpoint. He's most certainly not a problem on this team. I look forward to seeing him in right field once again next year with his solid glove and arm, smart baserunning, and his OPS that beats all but one American League outfielder.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I think they need to find a shortstop and replace Lowell and Papi no question. However, if you really think Drew sucks that a pretty ignorant viewpoint. He's most certainly not a problem on this team. I look forward to seeing him in right field once again next year with his solid glove and arm, smart baserunning, and his OPS that beats all but one American League outfielder.

I stand by my opinion that Drew sucks. Also, the red sox forgot to replace manny, we can add that to the list as well.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Still here, we lost because of the bats not because of our pitching.  Lester, Beckett and Buchholz all pitched good games.  We need a bat.  Plain and simple.
do it

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Still here, we lost because of the bats not because of our pitching.  Lester, Beckett and Buchholz all pitched good games.  We need a bat.  Plain and simple.

yes, they all pitched good games, none of them pitched great games, and that doesn't cut it in the playoffs. You need at least one great starter if not two, the sox don't have one.