Author Topic: Which baseball players would really shock you if they were caught with steroids  (Read 17341 times)

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Rich Garces

Offline 16Bannaz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 18
cal ripken...ripken to me is the last shred of all that is sacred in the game of baseball...if anyone could ever produce a positive test for cal ripken jr., i would have to seriously consider never watching baseball ever again

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
After the Mitchell Report, Palmeiro, Clemens, McGwire crying, ARod and that scumbag Bonds, my answer is nobody.  As far as all the players in the game right now goes, no name would suprise me.

Now if we're talking about the steroids era, lots of big names have been exposed and hurt baseball, but I think theres only one player that would TRUELY shock the baseball world if he had tested positive in the past, and that player is Cal Ripken.  No player in baseball, especially in the steroids era, represented everything that was still good and pure in the sport of baseball like Cal Ripken did.  If he had tested positive, or somehow got linked to 'riods I think that would be a HUGE HUGE blow to the last shred of credit baseball has left.

I don't really understand the Cal Ripken thing. Granted I would be pretty shocked if he was named at some point but to me, the steak was kind of selfish. Especially towards the end when it was probably hurting his team when he wouldn't take a day off and rest up. Granted I'm kind of talking out of ass on this but it seems to me that an occasional day off would have helped him stay sharper thru the season and maybe helped his team more. I will say that the streak was a great example of perserverance and dedication and there was a lot more postive things about it than negative but to me its a bit overrated and as I said selfish because one could argue that he was putting himself above the team

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Rich Garces

In the News today, it was discovered that the Tacos Grande at Jack in the Box are smothered in anabolic steroids.  Red Sox pitcher Rich "El Guppo" Graces was seen in full panic mode upon hearing this news.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Yes...Rich Garces had a bobble head night.  except it was his fat belly.

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
  el toro and cirilo errington the belly in blue ( a salvadorean baseball icon
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
After the Mitchell Report, Palmeiro, Clemens, McGwire crying, ARod and that scumbag Bonds, my answer is nobody.  As far as all the players in the game right now goes, no name would suprise me.

Now if we're talking about the steroids era, lots of big names have been exposed and hurt baseball, but I think theres only one player that would TRUELY shock the baseball world if he had tested positive in the past, and that player is Cal Ripken.  No player in baseball, especially in the steroids era, represented everything that was still good and pure in the sport of baseball like Cal Ripken did.  If he had tested positive, or somehow got linked to 'riods I think that would be a HUGE HUGE blow to the last shred of credit baseball has left.

I don't really understand the Cal Ripken thing. Granted I would be pretty shocked if he was named at some point but to me, the steak was kind of selfish. Especially towards the end when it was probably hurting his team when he wouldn't take a day off and rest up. Granted I'm kind of talking out of ass on this but it seems to me that an occasional day off would have helped him stay sharper thru the season and maybe helped his team more. I will say that the streak was a great example of perserverance and dedication and there was a lot more postive things about it than negative but to me its a bit overrated and as I said selfish because one could argue that he was putting himself above the team

In the grand scheme of things that streak meant a whole lot more than the Baltimore Orioles team or even baseball in general.  I dont understand how you could view it as him being selfish, yeah the point that maybe he would have produeced a little bit more if he had rested is valid, but its not the like it made him a liability on the team.  The guy batted a respectable average throughout his whole career, hit over 3000 hits, was a two time MVP, and was approaching 500 homeruns when he retired, and you never had to worry about this player being out of the lineup, EVER.  I could sit here and make the arguement that it would be selfish of Ripken to take a day off if he did, because he wanted to help increase his stats, while in the process jeopardizing a win for his team by having a subpar utility guy take his place on the field.  That sounds a little nitpicky doesnt it??  Well, no offense, but thats what your arguement sounded like.

Ripken did what he did for his team, not for himself, and he didnt put himself above any other baseball players because of it, he did what he had to do regardless if it risked injury or not.  A perfect example, back in the early 90's, Mike Mussina hits Seattle catcher Bill Hasslemen with a pitch and Hasselmen charges the mound.  Both dugouts, and both bullpens empty a huge fight takes place at the bottom of the mound.  There are pictures, Im sure you can find them online, of Cal Ripken in the middle of the fight at the bottom of the pile of people fighting.  (I'm proud to say I was at this game, and was in 4th grade at the time)  To me, that doesnt sound like someone that is selfishly trying to keep a streak alive and doesnt care about his team.
Greg

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

I don't have it in me to do a hoop related post.  I just can't muster the strength to do so.  Talking about a few pops in the ass and MVPs seems so much easier to deal with this week.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31

In the grand scheme of things that streak meant a whole lot more than the Baltimore Orioles team or even baseball in general.  I dont understand how you could view it as him being selfish, yeah the point that maybe he would have produeced a little bit more if he had rested is valid, but its not the like it made him a liability on the team.  The guy batted a respectable average throughout his whole career, hit over 3000 hits, was a two time MVP, and was approaching 500 homeruns when he retired, and you never had to worry about this player being out of the lineup, EVER.  I could sit here and make the arguement that it would be selfish of Ripken to take a day off if he did, because he wanted to help increase his stats, while in the process jeopardizing a win for his team by having a subpar utility guy take his place on the field.  That sounds a little nitpicky doesnt it??  Well, no offense, but thats what your arguement sounded like.

Ripken did what he did for his team, not for himself, and he didnt put himself above any other baseball players because of it, he did what he had to do regardless if it risked injury or not.  A perfect example, back in the early 90's, Mike Mussina hits Seattle catcher Bill Hasslemen with a pitch and Hasselmen charges the mound.  Both dugouts, and both bullpens empty a huge fight takes place at the bottom of the mound.  There are pictures, Im sure you can find them online, of Cal Ripken in the middle of the fight at the bottom of the pile of people fighting.  (I'm proud to say I was at this game, and was in 4th grade at the time)  To me, that doesnt sound like someone that is selfishly trying to keep a streak alive and doesnt care about his team.

Yeah my arguement is a little nit picky, for whatever reason I'm not as impressed with it as most. I think what started to turn me was I remember hearing a couple people saying something to the afffect that if Cal Ripken didn't get 100% percent of the hall of fame votes than no one should. It may be my bad memory but I remember it being discussed as if this was the first time someone deserved 100% percent of the vote and didn't get it which obviously isnt true since no one has gotten 100%. So that and a couple other things makes me feel like he is slightly overrated. I definitely agree that my points are very nit picky and I think he was one of the greatest of all time. And it is very true that the streak meant a ton to the Orioles and the game of baseball.

basically I feel like he is put up on the pedistel with Mays and Ruth and Teddy Ballgame and such and I feel like he is a notch or two below

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I would not be shocked at all to find out Nomar Garciaparra took steroids. I truly believe that for quite some time.

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would not be shocked at all to find out Nomar Garciaparra took steroids. I truly believe that for quite some time.

i'm like 100% sure he did.

but to answer the original question, i wouldn't be shocked to find out that anybody over the age of 28 has taken steroids. I'm of course hoping that the young stars of the league came into a clean MLB (Pedroia, Longoria, Tulowitzki)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm of course hoping that the young stars of the league came into a clean MLB (Pedroia, Longoria, Tulowitzki)

I hope so, but I'm skeptical.  When there are still PEDs that can't be detected on tests (namely, HGH) I still think that there's a huge potential for cheating.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Since MLB obviously doesn't care.  Since MLB proved it doesn't care by hiring one of it's own to conduct an "investigation".  I don't believe a single thing that came out of that "investigation" or that disgraceful dog-and-pony show in congress. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if everybody or nobody was implicated.  All I know for sure is that no relevent member of the team which the grossly dishonest scumbag Mitchell is a board member of will ever be implicated.  That speaks volumes for this entire circus.

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353