Author Topic: Sox on verge of wasting (I mean signing) Tek to a 2 year deal.  (Read 17135 times)

Re: Sox on verge of wasting (I mean signing) Tek to a 2 year deal.
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem with Tek is, will he bounce back next year?

We have a couple glaring weaknesses in the lineup at Catcher and SS, maybe even Centerfield.

Ah yes... the tough life of a Red Sox fan... losing sleep over a lineup with maybe 2 or 3 holes in it...
Gotta realize BT that the bad habit of doing nothing but complaining for 84 years is rather hard to break. Complaining about the Sox is in most of our DNA from having generations of complaining, Red Sox fan, ancesters.

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Not every team is stacked from 1-9.  Though we do have a weakness at SS, the same thing was said about second base Pedroia's rookie year.  That worked out fairly well huh?  Lowrie was hurt last year, before he got hurt, he was hitting 300, knocking in runs and doing a fairly good job.  Ellsbury is what he is, I don't expect him to be much more then a .280 hitter, but he's not going to be a consistent .280 hitter.  Expect him to do what he did last year, hit .200 one month, then something ridiculous like .380 the next.  Yes, Varitek is a weakness in the lineup, but the pitchers like to pitch to him.  I guess that's a plus.  Myself, I can't stand Varitek, but he's here for probably 2 years.  The Ray's added Burrell, who will be solid, but expect his numbers to go down quite a bit.  It's easy to hit when you have guys like Utley, Rollins and Howard in the line up.  The Yankees added a ton of players, but how much better did they actually get?  They lost a lot of players as well.  The starters improved, but the bullpen is not good.  No one knows how healthy Posada and Matsui will be.  Abreu actually had a fairly good year for them.  Yes Teixera will help quite a bit, but he needs to replace Abreu and Giambi's numbers.  Also, the Yankees are OLD.  A healthy Mike Lowell and the Red Sox are in the world series last year, and we've lost no one of great importance.
do it

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yes, Varitek is a weakness in the lineup, but the pitchers like to pitch to him. 

You mean our pitchers, or the other teams'?  ;)

'Tek will be better if he's not catching 120 games.  They still need another young guy to develop and to play fairly regularly.  It's a waste to bring 'Tek back if you don't get a young 'un for for him to mentor.

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Yes, Varitek is a weakness in the lineup, but the pitchers like to pitch to him. 

You mean our pitchers, or the other teams'?  ;)

'Tek will be better if he's not catching 120 games.  They still need another young guy to develop and to play fairly regularly.  It's a waste to bring 'Tek back if you don't get a young 'un for for him to mentor.

Haha.  Yes I agree that Tek needs to be in more of a platoon role.  Instead of catching 80% of the games, I'd like to see him catch more around 60%.
do it