Author Topic: Red Sox/Rays Game 5  (Read 16099 times)

Re: Red Sox/Rays Game 5
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Excellent line by Shaugnessy in the Globe

Next came the Game 5 ceremonial first pitch. The Sox turned to the inimitable Blowhard himself - Mr. Big Game Bloody Sock - Curt Schilling. It was somewhat amazing that the Big Lug was available since the presidential election is less than three weeks away, but Schill strode out to his old mound of glory and bounced a pitch 6 feet in front of catcher David Ross. That's what the Red Sox got for their $8 million this year - one pitch, in the dirt.

Nice zing by the Curly Haired Boyfriend.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know which I was bothered more by, those that shut off the game and went to bed or those who were at the game but got up and started leaving after Pap gave up the 2-RBI double to Upton.

As I said in a thread after game four, has 2004 taught us nothing about this team.

Down 3-0 and just been drubbed 19-8 losing in the ninth of game 4 to the best closer of his and possibly any generation and the Sox win four straight.

So we were down 3-1 to Tampa. So we were losing 7-0 going into the bottom of the seventh. It wasn't doomsday for me. Quite the opposite I kept telling anyone who would listen that we had Tampa Bay right where we wanted them, overconfident, cocky and over loose. Because once the comeback started the Rays tightened up faster than Catholic school girl on a first date.

This series is going 7.

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Ok - time to focus exclusively on the Celtics!

Um, ya think I was a bit premature?  Good thing I didn't turn the TV off ... I was very tempted, but decided I didn't want them to shut us out. Unreal! 

All the talk about Pedroia's clutch AB ... let's face it ... this one was on Papi ... he gave the whole stadium hope.  Then JD was awesome.  Go Sox!

I did.  Once the Sox were down 7 I went to bed.  Woke up to about 15 text messages on my phone.  I am hating myself this morning, yet also intrigued that my going to sleep may have sparked the turnaround.  If the Sox are getting beat next game maybe I should do it again.

Quitter ;)

Luckily I have this thing with watching Sox playoff games until the bitter end.  Growing up they made the playoffs so infrequently, that I decided it was still "Playoff Baseball" even if they were getting smoked, and that I should watch it, even if I'm pretty sure what the outcome is going to be.  The sweeps at the hands of the A's in `88 & `90 severely tested that theory. 

I always look back at that Game 5 vs the Angels in `86 as example #1 of why should hang in there til the end.  The Sox were down 5-2 with 2 outs and no one in the 9th, facing elimination.  I hung in there and saw the most amazing comeback ever (let's not talk about the `86 Mets). 

Last night was right up there.

I have the same "thing," I can't leave or turn off a game early, hey I'm a Celtics fan, prior to last year it was kind of required.

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 10:08:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Holy crap, WE WON???

I gave up and went to sleep. What a pleasant surprise. The players looked dead on the field, they weren't showing any fight in them, and I simply couldn't stand watching them any longer. Wow, this is great.

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Crisp '08 = Ellsbury `07

Reinserted just in a nick of time.
Yup

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm not the biggest Baseball fan, but I do root for the Red Sox, and this game was gripping.

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know which I was bothered more by, those that shut off the game and went to bed or those who were at the game but got up and started leaving after Pap gave up the 2-RBI double to Upton.

I'm much more bothered by the fans at the game.  Even if the team had lost last night, they played hard all season long, and would have deserved a standing ovation as they walked off the field.  Fans who leave early, for whatever reason, are pathetic.

Support the team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »

Offline scalabrine44mvp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Good point Roy... those fans were ridiculous at that game last night.. that is until we won. 0-2 count early in the game and I see NOONE standing. I would have thought we were watching the Lakers at the staples center. Come on now. If your going to the games support your team, don't give up on them in a elimination game.

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I'm much more bothered by the fans at the game.  Even if the team had lost last night, they played hard all season long, and would have deserved a standing ovation as they walked off the field.  Fans who leave early, for whatever reason, are pathetic.

Support the team.

Actually I was amazed at how positive the fans who stayed were (the vast majority did stay).  They were standing and cheering for Paps to get out of a jam so the team could stay within 7 runs.  7 RUNS. 

They were on their feet cheering loud trying to get anything positive out of the Sox.  I was at Game 4 of the Angels series and didn't see a whole lot of this.  I was really impressed with how the crowd kept at the Sox heels despite no signs of life whatsoever.  And once there was a sign of life, they were tremendous.
Yup

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
well odds will tell you that rays win that game 90 percent of the time. Plus hobbs some of these fans have to get to work the next day, so i don't blame them.

I would have stayed though no doubt

Greatest comeback ever. Everything was done in 2 out do or die situations also. BJ upton almost made that kotsay catch and who knows.

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
btw does anyone know that goofy song that is played when redsox wins these games?? its the dumbest song ever haha

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
btw does anyone know that goofy song that is played when redsox wins these games?? its the dumbest song ever haha

"Dirty Water" by the Standells.

It's an old school song from the '60s.  Sox have been using it for around a decade now after a win.

I think its a great song.  The Rolling Stones did a cover of it replacing the Charles River with the Thames.

Springsteen did it also at his show at Fenway back in '03.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

BLASPHEMY
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

BLASPHEMY

Now Sweet Caroline is by far the most wicked ovahrated song evah.
Yup

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

BLASPHEMY

Now Sweet Caroline is by far the most wicked ovahrated song evah.

Sweet Caroline definitely bothers me more than Dirty Water (which doesn't bother me AT ALL)

Sweet Caroline = Pink Hat Anthem