Author Topic: Red Sox/Rays Game 5  (Read 16095 times)

Red Sox/Rays Game 5
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
The start of this game sums up this series.

As bad as the offense has been, you can't be playing behind every game.  This was about pitching.  Your starting pitchers cannot give up 5 runs in 3 or 4 innings, which is what has happened now 3 games in a row.

Re: Red Sox/Rays Game 5
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The start of this game sums up this series.

As bad as the offense has been, you can't be playing behind every game.  This was about pitching.  Your starting pitchers cannot give up 5 runs in 3 or 4 innings, which is what has happened now 3 games in a row.

Yeah ... I agree ... you nailed it, Dog! And I don't think it's a lack of throwing talent, but just inconsistency. I hate to say it in a way, but I miss Manny, too! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Yeah, now that the third inning has ended and the Red Sox season is over, I wonder what moves they will make for next year. They need to go after an ace, and they need to rethink this lineup, because they're kind of pathetic right now. Every member of this team should look themselves in the mirror and be ashamed of themselves. The Rays may be a better team, but they aren't this much better. They will have the entire off-season to deal with the fact that they quit in a pressure situation, Rays punched the Sox in the face and the Sox were unwilling/scared/too complacent to punch back.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
Yeah, now that the third inning has ended and the Red Sox season is over, I wonder what moves they will make for next year. They need to go after an ace, and they need to rethink this lineup, because they're kind of pathetic right now. Every member of this team should look themselves in the mirror and be ashamed of themselves. The Rays may be a better team, but they aren't this much better. They will have the entire off-season to deal with the fact that they quit in a pressure situation, Rays punched the Sox in the face and the Sox were unwilling/scared/too complacent to punch back.

OK, now that I got that out of my system, it's time to rally, this game is far from over, the Sox are the best team in the majors and it's time for one more comeback. The Rays? Who are the Rays? Bring on the Phillies, the Sox just have a few prior engagements on Saturday and Sunday to go to, then they will welcome the Phillies to Boston. Let's Go Red Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

OK, now that I got that out of my system, it's time to rally, this game is far from over, the Sox are the best team in the majors and it's time for one more comeback. The Rays? Who are the Rays? Bring on the Phillies, the Sox just have a few prior engagements on Saturday and Sunday to go to, then they will welcome the Phillies to Boston. Let's Go Red Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! You remind me of myself, C, with the manic turnaround ... I love it! But you're absolutely correct in both instances ... and there's plenty of time for a comeback here ... they've done it many times before! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
This series was the first time I muted a sports broadcast, it was that bad.  Between the announcers saying "Rays this, Rays that" and baseball, the only other footage was of A)Joe Maddon, B)Joe Maddon, or C)the Rays bench.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
Well barring a late miracle (which I am still waiting for), it's gonna be the end of the baseball season tonight, the Patriots minus Brady ain't winning a Superbowl this year, so the pressure is on the C's to maintain the city of champions moniker.

Papelbon came close, but earlier in the game I would have advocated hitting one or more of the Rays players, they are all way to comfortable.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I've never seen anything like this.  I'd much rather lose this way.  Not fun to watch, but it least you know you got beaten by a better team.  The Rays deserve the World Series.  They were the best team all year.

Yup

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Ok - time to focus exclusively on the Celtics!  (I'm a Dolphins fan so not much going on there).

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
My first reaction after the Rays went up 5-0 was to trade players sign free agents and change the team up. This was mainly a reaction of anger, but some message needs to be sent that their play in this series was unacceptable. After looking at the 2009 free agents, the only guy a really want to see here is CC Sabathia, there's not a lot of options out there in the field. I don't mind keeping Varitek as an automatic out, but the lineup needs to have some power injected into it.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
That miracle may finally be coming.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 11:12:10 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
Serves me right for turning off the TV...
Hopefully this will get the Sox back in the loop, although the bullpen situation is already "eh" right now.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Well, some life anyhow!  Whether they win or lose at this point it was just nice to see a pulse.

The crowd's been awesome tonight.  Very little to cheer about, but they keep trying.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
We can do it guys! Not over yet.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Come on!!!  Runs baby, runs!

I want to see a big boot by someone on the Rays defense.  That will tell me all I need to know.

Wheeler's been tough though.
Yup