Author Topic: Manny being Manipulated  (Read 18227 times)

Re: Manny being Manipulated
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Their paying him to go away which obviously was the right move.  Who cares there is no salary cap in baseball.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Shame on the Sox for allowing the Manny situation to get that far out of hand.

yea! how dare they sign a player to a contract and expect him to live up to it! what a bunch of morons! I mean, who gives a guy 120 million dollars over 8 years and then expect him to live up to the rules on the team options he signed to get it? why, its almost slave labor. what a bunch of cheapskates

HOW DARE THEY! How dare they expect him to honor his end of the contract and play hard till the end of the year! why we all know it's perfectly acceptable to quit on your team, shove an old man down, slap a teamate in the face, and dog it when you realize that you could get a few million more than 20 per somewhere else, Thats exactly how other athletes handle contract disputes. Manny was nothing but class, and thus blameless. earning 20 million for 3 months would have been sheer hell, i can barley fathom the hardships that must be involved with such hard work for so little compensation!

The outright gaul of some people, expecting people to live up to thier employment contracts when thier only gurnteed a pitily 20 million dollars to hit a ball with a stick!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:01:11 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Manny Ramirez is my favorite player in any sport & that does not distort what I'm about to say. I 110% understand why everyone in Boston is upset w/ Manny & I don't understand why people are trying to defend him. My take on Manny is simple, he is the most fun player for me to watch & root for, period. I enjoy drinking beer & watching Ruthian blasts fly over the fence to all parts of the ballpark, period. I could see if you are a parent you wouldn't want your kids to simulate Manny's actions before he was traded. But for me, why is everyone so concerned about the integity of the game or the morals & ethics he seemingly displays? Isn't watching sports suppose to be a recreational activity, more fun the better right? I'm thankful for all the fond memories Manny provided me & have enjoyed watching him cement his legacy as one of the best players ever. I don't know anything about politics, religion or really life in general, but I watch NFL, NBA, MLB & College Football religiously and the one common thread is that premier players are what make the games so much fun to watch. I don't blame anyone, but I still find the trade depressing, call me an idiot, selfish, whatever I miss him regardless..

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Manny Ramirez is my favorite player in any sport & that does not distort what I'm about to say. I 110% understand why everyone in Boston is upset w/ Manny & I don't understand why people are trying to defend him. My take on Manny is simple, he is the most fun player for me to watch & root for, period. I enjoy drinking beer & watching Ruthian blasts fly over the fence to all parts of the ballpark, period. I could see if you are a parent you wouldn't want your kids to simulate Manny's actions before he was traded. But for me, why is everyone so concerned about the integity of the game or the morals & ethics he seemingly displays? Isn't watching sports suppose to be a recreational activity, more fun the better right? I'm thankful for all the fond memories Manny provided me & have enjoyed watching him cement his legacy as one of the best players ever. I don't know anything about politics, religion or really life in general, but I watch NFL, NBA, MLB & College Football religiously and the one common thread is that premier players are what make the games so much fun to watch. I don't blame anyone, but I still find the trade depressing, call me an idiot, selfish, whatever I miss him regardless..

Your take comes from the side of the brain I've needed to divert when coping with Manny.  He was,indeed, a fun player to watch, and he was a player central to helping this team achieve TWICE, one thing I thought I'd never see my life.  Also, Manny's walkoff vs he Angels in the ALDS is easily in my top ten favorite sports moments.  Maybe top 5.
Yup

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
The trade wasn't Manny for Bay. They traded Manny, 7 million dollars, Brandon Moss, and Hanson to get Bay. The Manny part of the trade with the Dodgers was:

Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez and 7 million dollars (Dodgers also get 2 high draft picks when Manny declines arbitration)

Dodgers give up: Laroche and lower minor leaguer

So essentially we traded Manny, Hanson, Moss, 7 million dollars and 2 high draft picks for Laroche and a B prospect.

Well, no, that's not right at all.  If you want to say we traded Manny + $7 million for Laroche and a prospect, fine.  But how do you put Hansen and Moss into the Dodgers side of the trade?  If they're included, don't you sort of have to add in Bay?

As for the compensation picks, we'll get those back in a year if Bay walks.  The following year is supposed to be a *significantly* better draft, so the Sox probably win that end of things.  Or, of course, they could just keep an all-star caliber player and a good teammate, who wouldn't be here if Manny wasn't traded.

I'm not going to argue semantics here. In one deal they gave up Manny and got Jason Bay to replace him. If people think giving up Moss, Hansen and $7 million in the trade is really that big a deal I don't know what to tell you. Hansen was worthless and has proved it; Moss didn't have a spot on this team and proved that he's definitely not worth a starting spot and he was the 5th OF at best; $7 million? Who cares the Red Sox are made of money if they need to throw some in to make sure a deal gets done I would much rather they do it and not be cheap.

Moss, Hansen and the money are footnotes that I have already forgotten. The Sox gave up one thing of value and received one thing of comparable value in return.

Good post.  Yes, Hansen and Moss are still young, but they're nobody to cry too much about.  Here are their numbers with Pittsburgh:

Moss: 45 games, .222 avg, .288 OBP, 6 HR, 23 RBI, 45 Ks, .424 SLG, .712 OPS
Hansen: 15.2 innings, 14 runs, 13 ER, 20 BB, 7 Ks, 1 win, 4 losses, 7.47 ERA

Not exactly world beaters.

I don't know why I added moss and Hanson to the Dodgers part of the trade. i had just written down what the Dodgers got. You can edit that if you like. Again I don't know why it would be possible to have both Bay and Giles, but we couldn't have both Bay and Manny. We didn't need to trade Manny to get Bay. The Pirates didn't want or ask for Manny. Again the Manny trade was:

Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez and 7 million dollars (Dodgers also get 2 high draft picks when Manny declines arbitration)

In regards to people saying that 7 million dollars is nothing. That's ridiculous. Several Sox trades have failed over a couple million dollars. Several players haven't signed over a couple million dollars. Draft picks like Texeira and LaPorta and many others could of been signed with less than a million more. 7 million dollars can buy you several players that fall in the draft due to contract demands and you can pay them over slot money.

I think a lot of people like trading Manny because they think he's a jerk. but if you feel that way, why reward Manny and the Dodgers? Why not make Manny finish out his contract obligation and "suffer" in Boston either suspended or raking the ball as he tries to get that next contract?

I'm not arguing about trading Moss and Hanson. As I've said I like the Bay addition. I liked the idea of adding Giles too. When you have a chance to win a WS, load up your roster and go for it.

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The trade wasn't Manny for Bay. They traded Manny, 7 million dollars, Brandon Moss, and Hanson to get Bay. The Manny part of the trade with the Dodgers was:

So essentially we traded Manny, Hanson, Moss, 7 million dollars and 2 high draft picks for Laroche and a B prospect.

Well, no, that's not right at all.  If you want to say we traded Manny + $7 million for Laroche and a prospect, fine.  But how do you put Hansen and Moss into the Dodgers side of the trade?  If they're included, don't you sort of have to add in Bay?

As for the compensation picks, we'll get those back in a year if Bay walks.  The following year is supposed to be a *significantly* better draft, so the Sox probably win that end of things.  Or, of course, they could just keep an all-star caliber player and a good teammate, who wouldn't be here if Manny wasn't traded.

I'm not going to argue semantics here. In one deal they gave up Manny and got Jason Bay to replace him. If people think giving up Moss, Hansen and $7 million in the trade is really that big a deal I don't know what to tell you. Hansen was worthless and has proved it; Moss didn't have a spot on this team and proved that he's definitely not worth a starting spot and he was the 5th OF at best; $7 million? Who cares the Red Sox are made of money if they need to throw some in to make sure a deal gets done I would much rather they do it and not be cheap.

Moss, Hansen and the money are footnotes that I have already forgotten. The Sox gave up one thing of value and received one thing of comparable value in return.

Good post.  Yes, Hansen and Moss are still young, but they're nobody to cry too much about.  Here are their numbers with Pittsburgh:

Moss: 45 games, .222 avg, .288 OBP, 6 HR, 23 RBI, 45 Ks, .424 SLG, .712 OPS
Hansen: 15.2 innings, 14 runs, 13 ER, 20 BB, 7 Ks, 1 win, 4 losses, 7.47 ERA

Not exactly world beaters.

I don't know why I added moss and Hanson to the Dodgers part of the trade. i had just written down what the Dodgers got. You can edit that if you like. Again I don't know why it would be possible to have both Bay and Giles, but we couldn't have both Bay and Manny. We didn't need to trade Manny to get Bay. The Pirates didn't want or ask for Manny. Again the Manny trade was:

In regards to people saying that 7 million dollars is nothing. That's ridiculous. Several Sox trades have failed over a couple million dollars. Several players haven't signed over a couple million dollars. Draft picks like Texeira and LaPorta and many others could of been signed with less than a million more. 7 million dollars can buy you several players that fall in the draft due to contract demands and you can pay them over slot money.

I think a lot of people like trading Manny because they think he's a jerk. but if you feel that way, why reward Manny and the Dodgers? Why not make Manny finish out his contract obligation and "suffer" in Boston either suspended or raking the ball as he tries to get that next contract?

I'm not arguing about trading Moss and Hanson. As I've said I like the Bay addition. I liked the idea of adding Giles too. When you have a chance to win a WS, load up your roster and go for it.

I think you and anyone else that suggests the Red Sox should have kept Manny while still trading for Bay miss one very huge factor in this trade. There were 24 other players and 6 coaches on this team that were being adversely effected by Manny and didn't want him around them any loger. Why can't you understand that? Keeping Manny here and making him suffer would only have made the team suffer even more and contributed to the continued poor play that was on the field through most of July.

You see, one thing about keeping Manny is the unknown about just how much more miserable he could have made everyone's life in that clubhouse and how that would have translated into wins and losses. You can't fine Manny large somes of money without due cause because it is against the CBA and the MLBPA would have brought it in front of a league arbiter and the Sox would have lost. You can not suspend him for undue cause because the same thing can happen. Not trading Manny meant that Manny would still be around and that is exactly what 30 other guys in the clubhouse were telling the front office they didn't want to happen.

It is no accident that the Red Sox had the best record in the American League after they traded Manny Ramirez. The difference in the atmosphere around this team was palpable. You could literally feel the difference in the clubhouse and the park from the first game after the trade on. If that cost the Red Sox $7 million but it gets them another world title, that's money well invested in my humble opinion.

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think you and anyone else that suggests the Red Sox should have kept Manny while still trading for Bay miss one very huge factor in this trade. There were 24 other players and 6 coaches on this team that were being adversely effected by Manny and didn't want him around them any loger. Why can't you understand that? Keeping Manny here and making him suffer would only have made the team suffer even more and contributed to the continued poor play that was on the field through most of July.

You see, one thing about keeping Manny is the unknown about just how much more miserable he could have made everyone's life in that clubhouse and how that would have translated into wins and losses. You can't fine Manny large somes of money without due cause because it is against the CBA and the MLBPA would have brought it in front of a league arbiter and the Sox would have lost. You can not suspend him for undue cause because the same thing can happen. Not trading Manny meant that Manny would still be around and that is exactly what 30 other guys in the clubhouse were telling the front office they didn't want to happen.

It is no accident that the Red Sox had the best record in the American League after they traded Manny Ramirez. The difference in the atmosphere around this team was palpable. You could literally feel the difference in the clubhouse and the park from the first game after the trade on. If that cost the Red Sox $7 million but it gets them another world title, that's money well invested in my humble opinion.

Yeah, nice post nick.  Immediately prior to the Manny trade, the Sox had lost three straight games, and were 4-8 over their last 12.  After the trade, they went something like 34-19.  The players wanted Manny to go, including Papi, who used to be one of his best friends on the team.  Keeping him would have torpedoed the team.

Also, I don't think the "They would have traded for Giles, so that means there would have been room for both Bay and Manny" argument makes sense.  First, I think the timing is important; when they team attempted to acquire Giles, Lowell and Papi were both hurting, and the team wanted some extra depth.  Those injuries weren't quite so acute (from memory) when the team traded Manny (or, they were just springing up in Manny's final days).

Secondly, it's a lot easier to make a guy like Brian Giles a part-time player than it is a player like Jason Bay.  At the time, Jacoby, Coco, and Drew were all healthy.  You would have had five guys who all wanted -- and probably deserved -- to be every day players, including three all-stars.  It wouldn't have worked.

Third, it's a lot easier to justify giving up a low-level prospect (i.e., for Giles) than it is to give up top-tier young talent to get a guy you wouldn't be playing full time.

Fourth, Giles was claimed in part to prevent him from going to Tampa.  That was as big a part of the trade as was trying to improve our bench.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I'm not really sure making Giles a part time player would be easier that Bay. Giles is a pretty big name. And for those that think that Manny wouldn't come around and don't want to deal with the players union, then fine pay him to stay home. Why reward him by sending him to LA to boost up his FA value? If we could of gotten Bay for Manny straight up, I'd be all for that, but based on what we got for Manny, I don't think it was a good trade. The injuries to Papi, Drew, and Lowell were not unexpected either. Bay would have been a great addition with or without Manny. We can keep on going back and forth on this, but I repeat that the Dodgers got a steal in Manny and we got 25 cents on the dollar if that.

"Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez and 7 million dollars (Dodgers also get 2 high draft picks when Manny declines arbitration)

Dodgers give up: Laroche and lower minor leaguer"

And Manny hasn't changed. he's the same guy that we had on the '04 champions and the '07 champions. and if the Sox didn't like his antics, they should of manned up and dealt with it a long time ago. They enabled it in Boston. In LA, Manny is being credited with not only leading the Dodgers on the field, but also in the clubhouse. He's a baby. But he didn't need to be given away. Also, and I fear bringing this up, because some bloggers won't let a debate just die unless others say they are right, but its also a possibility that the changing demographics of the Sox made it more uncomfortable for Manny. Theo is looking for a certain type of player and manny doesn't fit that type (neither did Hanley Ramirez). Do i want Manny to run out every grounder? Yes. But I'll take Manny's numbers over a 220 hitting dirtdog any day.

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Loved this piece by Simmons. He wasn't saying Manny was blameless, he was simply stating that the way his departure was portrayed by the media was incorrect/incomplete, and that the perception of Manny and the story behind him was perplexing. I thought it was awesome.

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I repeat that the Dodgers got a steal in Manny and we got 25 cents on the dollar if that.

We ended up with Jason Bay.  The guy who just hit a 3 run homer in Game 2 of the ALCS.  I couldn't care less if the Pirates got two middling prospects, or the Dodgers got an extra $7 million.  Manny for Bay is a fair deal, and I'm happy it was made.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
IN his footnotes Bill mentions seeing Papi intentionally walked after Manny was traded.

For a guy who watches every game (unlike me) he seems to miss those times earlier this season when I saw Papi walked intentionally because Manny's aura of invincibility was gone.  I'm not sure why NL pitchers aren't tossing him high heat.

Bay is keeping pace with Manny in postseason HRs thus far.  Both have 2.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
It was a good piece. I read it like a eulogy. Someone trying to rationalize a good friend passing on. It's emotional, and loyal to a friend who might not deserve that loyalty in an objective light.

I have always thought Manny was fun to watch. Maybe he didn't always hustle, but I like to think he was a smart player who knew what his body could handle and didn't want to shorten his career with an unnecessary leg injury (he doesn't look or move like an athlete). He's erratic, arguably a prima dona, but always clutch. He had the best years of a hall of fame career here and people act like they're happy he's gone. That's inexcusable. Those are probably the people who walked out on the Pats last week.

The bottom line is that he produced and entertained, which is what modern sports are about. I'll miss him, but I'm happy if he's happy. We made out pretty well in the deal too.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
He had the best years of a hall of fame career here and people act like they're happy he's gone. That's inexcusable. Those are probably the people who walked out on the Pats last week.

You can add Manny's teammates to that list of fair weather fans, I guess, since they wanted him gone, as well.

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2008, 11:22:05 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Manny would have done EXACTLY what he is doing for the Dodgeres for the Red Sox if he stayed.

I don't care if Manny is an idiot or upset at the Red Sox Front Officer or peeved at Youk....the guy is playing for his next contract and after all the dust settled...he'd do what he has always done in his career and that is HIT the ball.

The Red Sox got lucky they with the end of the year schedule of cup cake teams to finish off the season and "win" the WC.

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The Red Sox got lucky they with the end of the year schedule of cup cake teams to finish off the season and "win" the WC.

Yeah...  let's not let the facts get in the way of our anti-Sox agenda.  Good idea.

The Sox played their final 21 games against teams that finished .500 or better.  17 of those games were against teams that finished with 86 or more wins.