Author Topic: don't resign manny thread  (Read 18358 times)

don't resign manny thread
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/06/manny_ramirez_w.html

what is wrong with this fool?? first altercation with youkilis about something ridiculous and now this??

Thank you manny for last years blast against krod, thanks for all those timely hits u got for us but i think its time for you to go

i say trade him soon before we just let him go for nothing. He is a perfect dh candidate for some team out there

Re: don't resign manny thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
so you don't want to make the playoffs this year then?

because if you trade him, we won't. papi is a month away and jd drew is jd drew.

but by all means lets trade one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time for peanuts (no team is going to give top guys to rent him) and miss the playoffs this year, sounds like a plan.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That reflects very poorly on Manny, without a doubt.  It seems very unlike his normal demeanor, to flip out of something that seems fairly trivial.

I disagree about trading him, though.  Manny is very important to our lineup, and despite the off the field (and sometimes on the field) stuff, he is pretty vital to our success right now.  His contract options aren't looking like such an albatross any more salary-wise, so I'd just as soon hold on to him. 

I mean, we've won two championships with Manny anchoring our lineup.  It seems like the team has been able to cope with his personality just fine in the past.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Go call WEEI about it.

He apoligized... it's over... was it dumb? Of course. Would a 4th outfielder probably suffer more consequences for it? Maybe. But this is our best hitter - and he has been for eight years - and to say that we should cut ties with him now is ridiculous and short sighted.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
He apologized yadi yadi yada , but he is becoming a real kobe in the clubhouse. Just needs to shut it and play

Ok for championship reasons , whatever the team deals with him but if he wants 20 million for another 3-5 years next year i'd tell him to leave.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Go call WEEI about it.

He apoligized... it's over... was it dumb? Of course. Would a 4th outfielder probably suffer more consequences for it? Maybe. But this is our best hitter - and he has been for eight years - and to say that we should cut ties with him now is ridiculous and short sighted.

Totally agree.

This guy is far too valuable to this ballclub to simply give away for 10 cents on the dollar because of some issue that was already resolved. 

He apologized yadi yadi yada , but he is becoming a real kobe in the clubhouse. Just needs to shut it and play

Ok for championship reasons , whatever the team deals with him but if he wants 20 million for another 3-5 years next year i'd tell him to leave.

He's supposedly been an issue in this clubhouse for one reason or another for the past 8 years.  Nothing new there. 

The club has the right to pick up or decline his option for next season and the season after if need be.  He has no leverage right now from a contract angle.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Are we not used to off field shenanigans with Manny?  Sure I liked it better when he was just being a goofball instead of being angry and fighting people.  However I don't think the incidents to this point are enough to get rid of the best bat in our lineup.  The man has done too much for this team to be let go because of something like this.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Let's trade Powe while we're at it... he's had his fair of scuffles in the Celtics locker room.

These are grown up... we don't need to babysit them as if they were kids. This would be a problem if the players started holding grudges. But in this clubhouse they don't. They all get along. They have their disputes, they talk it over, they handle it.

Fights and disputes are too common in baseball clubhouses for this to be an issue. Was he wrong yeah, but to suggest that we trade him for something as trivial as this (because it is trivial) is insane.

I fight with my bro and best friends from time to time, at times even come to blows... and we still get along great.

If this were some other team, I'd be concerned, but not with the Red Soxs and the type of culture and environment they employ. The players are quite close with each other. A dispute with some secretary is not going to affect their relationship at all.

We're here crying about Manny shoving and pushing people.... please, that's childs play. If he goes on top of someone and starts pounding him the head or chocking him then I would be concernend. But because he pushed someone? Please.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:00:52 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
There's gotta be something going on with Manny.  Some problem with hios family or something.  While manny's always been a nut job, he's never really been mean or agressive physically (that I remember at least).  First he blew up on Youk (maybe something needed to be said to Youk but it's odd for Manny to go that far) and now this.  I think eventually something else is going to come out.  Or maybe he's just roid raging.  You never know nowadays.    

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/06/manny_ramirez_w.html

what is wrong with this fool?? first altercation with youkilis about something ridiculous and now this??

Thank you manny for last years blast against krod, thanks for all those timely hits u got for us but i think its time for you to go

i say trade him soon before we just let him go for nothing. He is a perfect dh candidate for some team out there

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. First off the Youk thing wasn't Manny's fault that was Mr. I get too emotional about a baseball game Kevin Youkilis.

Secondly you're going to trade one of the best hitters in baseball, who's in the last year of his contract....you're probably not going to get anything for him because he'll just opt out at the end of the season and every team knows this. If they want him they can wait til after the season. Who are you going to get to replace his bat?...Don't be an idiot.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

No way can he be compared to Kobe.  Kobe is flat out a jerk, on the court and off the court.  He never ever treats his teammates with respect.  Manny has many great friends in the Sox locker room, something that obviously Kobe can't say.  He couldn't even get along with one of the greatest centers of all time while they were doing nothing but win championships.

Manny has never just shut up and played, and I never want him to.  I love his enthusiasm for his teammates and the game.  He's a character, nothing wrong with that. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings
There's gotta be something going on with Manny.  Some problem with hios family or something.  While manny's always been a nut job, he's never really been mean or agressive physically (that I remember at least).  First he blew up on Youk (maybe something needed to be said to Youk but it's odd for Manny to go that far) and now this.  I think eventually something else is going to come out.  Or maybe he's just roid raging.  You never know nowadays.    

He told Youk 'It's time to act like you've been in the majors awhile' or something along those lines...That's all on Youk for acting like a nutjob everytime he doesn't get on base. His reaction gets real old real fast.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings

No way can he be compared to Kobe.  Kobe is flat out a jerk, on the court and off the court.  He never ever treats his teammates with respect.  Manny has many great friends in the Sox locker room, something that obviously Kobe can't say.  He couldn't even get along with one of the greatest centers of all time while they were doing nothing but win championships.

Manny has never just shut up and played, and I never want him to.  I love his enthusiasm for his teammates and the game.  He's a character, nothing wrong with that. 

Exactly. Every clubhouse has them. There are those who can hit and are hall of famers...and then there are the Carl Everetts of the world.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline KG5

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
That reflects very poorly on Manny, without a doubt.  It seems very unlike his normal demeanor, to flip out of something that seems fairly trivial.

I disagree about trading him, though.  Manny is very important to our lineup, and despite the off the field (and sometimes on the field) stuff, he is pretty vital to our success right now.  His contract options aren't looking like such an albatross any more salary-wise, so I'd just as soon hold on to him. 

I mean, we've won two championships with Manny anchoring our lineup.  It seems like the team has been able to cope with his personality just fine in the past.

WHY YOU LAUGH ROY HOBBS

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, and this isn't directed to you tri, its more at the WEEI morons ive had to listen to all day. if i ehar one more person call in and go "lets trade him now and get a great young right fielder and prospects!!!" call i'll punch someone.

lets look at his trade value in reality, not "the rest of the league should kiss our behinds, were the red sox!" land.

Your trading him to be a DH, no NL contender really needs a rigth fielder, and when you throw in his horrid Defense in large outfields, you pretty much limit him to DH.

Since no team who isn't trying to win a world series is going to trade for a guy for 3 months, these are your trading partners.

Yanks
Whitesox
Indians
Angels
Rays

Now, what one of those teams do you want 25 cents on the dollar in prospects from? And lets assume we trade him and somehow miraculosly hold onto a 4 game lead over NYY or the rays self destruct while our middle of the lineup is youk-drew-lowell for at least 1 and a half months till papi is back.

now where in the playoffs, and have to face  contrct year manny at DH to get to the WS. uh, pass.

if we wait till the end of the year, we have much better options. If we exercise the option we get a bargin considering the balloning salareys of hitters. If we don't we get sandwich picks when he walks (those are pretty money under theo, paps, jacoby, dped, lester and buckholz are all sandwich picks.)

so yea, lets stop with the crazy trade manny to a rival phone calls, ok WEEI?  ;)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion