Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Pacers (0-2) Round 1 Game 3 4/19/19  (Read 40884 times)

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Pacers (0-2) Round 1 Game 3 4/19/19
« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2019, 11:42:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2019, 11:43:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Give Jaylen his due tonight! He brought it on both ends of the floor, stayed within himself, and was a huge reason for our win on the road.

« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2019, 11:44:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
A solid win but this is glorified, extended regular season right now. 

The real playoffs starts with MIL. That’ll show us what we really have here but there is plenty of promise.  I think you’re seeing guys playing with the “meaningful game” spark again & the defense is showing that “engaged” improvement. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #663 on: April 19, 2019, 11:45:09 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
"A playoff series does not start until you win on the road" - Doc Rivers

Looks like the Celtics started their playoff series.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2019, 11:45:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
The Celtics looked like they knew they would win and played a very composed game. I have faith that this team can win in close games. That Kyrie steal near the end of the game was amazing. I also love the Kyrie and Horford two man game at the end.

Totally agree.

That steal by Kyrie in the 4th was huge.

The 2-man game with Horford is also clicking.

This Celts team is playing with a sense of urgency.

« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2019, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Give Jaylen his due tonight! He brought it on both ends of the floor, stayed within himself, and was a huge reason for our win on the road.

True.

Every time the Pacers were going on a run, JB had an answer.

« Reply #666 on: April 19, 2019, 11:46:57 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Yeesh, this place is ridiculous. We just won a road playoff game, and people are already being negative. Can't we just enjoy tonight?

If you came here just after the game, you'd think we'd lost.

WE WON AND AGIANST A VERY GOOD TEAM!!!!!!!!

WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

yep to heck with the self loathers here. it is beyond sad now. we are in playoffs lets bring it til the end and see what happens. cant we enjpy this?

I always enjoy wins, I'm a glass-half-full person though, plenty of time to p--- and moan the next game after all

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #667 on: April 20, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Interesting stat. Since the start of last playoffs Tatum has led the team in scoring 8 times and Brown 5 times in the 22 playoff games.

These guys have the "get big when the games get big" mentality you just don't see in most 21 and 22 year olds.

Gotta keep one of them if there is a Davis trade. And both for a very long time if there is no AD trade.

« Reply #668 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We're going to need to play a lot better if we're going to win any games against non-creampuff opponents.  Indiana is terrible.

The Bucks are sitting at home licking their chops right now as they're watching this game.

While we certainly haven't been perfect and have some things to clean up, these are shortsighted comments and not respectful enough of Indy. They're clearly lacking offensively sans Dipo, but they're as good as it gets defensively, and in the playoffs that's enough to keep games close (see Boston Celtics the last several years prior to 2018).

Hell, we're very likely going to sweep Indy at this point, which is not at all easy. Hell, look at Cleveland's championship year. They swept Detroit in the first round that year, and that series was very similar to this one with three really close games and only one that wasn't that close. And that Detroit team was no better than this Indy team.

TP totally agree. What they’re lacking in talent Indy make up for in grit and heart. Unfortunately In tight games like these you need people you can give the ball to to make things happen at the end. We have those and they don’t.

They were 16-19 (now 16-22) without Dipo.  They're a turd team that should be swept easily.

Ok, Lar, whatever you say. The fact that you think any sweep can be "easy" kind of speaks for itself.

I usually support LB, but think he is totally wrong here. Teams like Indy are incredibly difficult to beat if you don't maintain your focus (see 2nd quarter). Not only are they the best defensive team in the league, but they come at you non-stop. All it takes is for one or two guys to come up big and you have your 'star' power. Evans in the first half was playing like a superstar in the 1st half.

The reason we have been able to win these games is because we have played smart and disciplined down the stretch, but also because their big performers haven't been able to come up in the clutch. This will need to change as the playoffs progress, but I also don't anticipate the same level of grittiness from some of the more 'talented' teams.

Not blowing out Indy isn't as dire as it may seem. Teams like Indy don't often get blown out.
Nah Indiana is garbage.  This should be an easy sweep.  It's hard to say if the Oladipo-less Pacers or Blake-less Pistons are a bigger steaming pile of crap, but both teams should be swept easily.  Neither belongs in the playoffs in their current state.  Good to see us sweeping as scheduled.  That team is terrible.  Looking forward to the see how we'll match up with the Bucks.

« Reply #669 on: April 20, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #670 on: April 20, 2019, 12:19:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A solid win but this is glorified, extended regular season right now. 

The real playoffs starts with MIL. That’ll show us what we really have here but there is plenty of promise.  I think you’re seeing guys playing with the “meaningful game” spark again & the defense is showing that “engaged” improvement.
Only risk is that they'll get bored and let the Pacers sneak a win.  Game 4 is a trap game.  They know the Pacers don't belong in the playoffs and it'll be easy for them to ease up and lose focus. 

Good news is that once we coast by these bums, we'll be locked in and ready to give our best against the Bucks.

« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2019, 12:51:49 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Besides, as sad as we are at winning, the Indy fans are sadder

https://www.pacersdigest.com/forum/the-digest/indiana-pacers/3447669-post-game-playoff-3-pacers-vs-celtics

This was my fav quote:
"Pacers play hard but they are over-matched. Point is really a need. Brown and Tatum on one team??? Really. Plus the Celtics get to reload with 3 and maybe 4 first round picks this year."

I think sometimes we don't realize how other teams fans see our team.  I really wish we could keep Brown and Tatum.  I saw tonight as a bit of a last year's playoffs flashback.  Tatum and Brown making plays, the whole team playing gritty def and just overall playing tough when crunch time comes. 

« Reply #672 on: April 20, 2019, 01:03:39 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

https://www.pacersdigest.com/forum/the-digest/indiana-pacers/3447669-post-game-playoff-3-pacers-vs-celtics

This was my fav quote:
"Pacers play hard but they are over-matched. Point is really a need. Brown and Tatum on one team??? Really. Plus the Celtics get to reload with 3 and maybe 4 first round picks this year."

I think sometimes we don't realize how other teams fans see our team.  I really wish we could keep Brown and Tatum.  I saw tonight as a bit of a last year's playoffs flashback.  Tatum and Brown making plays, the whole team playing gritty def and just overall playing tough when crunch time comes.

Tatum was great in game 2 and Brown tonight, so it’s relatively easy to understand why Indy fans would be high on them.

But we are perhaps unfairly hard on our talented 21- and 22-year-old tandem. They may be inconsistent but they both have all-star potential.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #673 on: April 20, 2019, 01:32:02 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

This was my fav quote:

Tatum was great in game 2 and Brown tonight, so it’s relatively easy to understand why Indy fans would be high on them.

But we are perhaps unfairly hard on our talented 21- and 22-year-old tandem. They may be inconsistent but they both have all-star potential.

Better trade them while their values are still rocking- for Anthony Davis that is.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #674 on: April 20, 2019, 02:02:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Nice game - close out the series on the road and hope the Bucks drop a game or two to give Smart more recovery time.