Author Topic: 2013 PAPTBG Playoffs  (Read 66008 times)

Re: 2013 PAPTBG Playoffs
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Has there ever been consideration to adding Walks as one base?
No.

I can't speak for Redz, but a walk takes no talent and is not really "earned", so it makes little sense to me.

This, (and the other Pick-A-Player games), have generally been more about the talent and achievements of the player than just about adding empty stats.

Again, just my opinion ... Redz started all this, it's his creation, so it's really his call, but that's pretty much what I've assumed from the parameters to this point.

Good for discussion, though, if anyone wants to continue or would also like to consider it seriously.

I guess I gave my vote at the top of this post.

I of course respect you opinion, but disagree.   ;D

Say you are watching a 10 pitch Dustin Pedroia at bat in which he battles, fouls off pitches and ultimately draws a walk.  I would argue that takes just as much skill as somebody hitting a seeing eye single up the middle of the infield or something.
And you could also pay any Joe Schmoe to stand at the base and let the ball go by ... only a skilled player can hit the ball consistently, it'd take some high odds for Joe to even get the bat around in time to be close.

True, but if a player didnt have the skill to hit the ball the pitcher could just fire them down the middle and not worry about having to pain the corners and risk walking a guy if he misses his spot
I learned a long time ago not to lock horns with you, Buddy, but there are certainly points to both sides.

Doesn't feel right to me ... I probably shouldn't have sounded like it was such an empirical answer, though, lol.

I was trying to make parallels to one of the other games, but couldn't come up with a solid one ... baseball really is pretty unique in that way.

All I know is I would be pretty bummed out if this walk never happened

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-most-significant-stolen-base-mlb-history-12273392.html

Dave Roberts, 2004, #1

Only slightly less talked-about but far more significant, a steal of second base captures the crown. As a Yankee fan, I still cringe at this play and what followed it. However, as a baseball fan, I am happy to have seen it live. The extraordinary rivalry between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox has too many incidents to discuss in detail. This moment, though, changed on team's entire history.

It was the 2004 American League Championship Series. The Yankees led the series 3-0. They also led 4-3 in Game 4 with Mariano Rivera on the mound. Kevin Millar drew a lead-off walk, putting the potential tying run on base. Then, the most-expected move happened. Dave Roberts pinch ran.

Roberts spent most of 2004 with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He stole 33 bases before the Red Sox picked him up at the trade deadline - for just this situation. Roberts was a very fast runner and successful base stealer. Everyone in the game and watching knew what Roberts would do. Rivera delivered; Roberts ran. If he were unsuccessful, the Yankees would win the ALCS over Boston for the second straight year and third straight postseason meeting between the two (1999). The video shows that Roberts beat the throw on a close play, but he was clearly safe. What followed became legendary.

Roberts scored the tying run on a Bill Mueller single. The game went 12 innings before Boston's David Ortiz homered to win it for the Red Sox. Boston then swept the next three games to win the ALCS and advance to the World Series. This was the first time in MLB history that a team trailing 3-0 in games came back to win a best-of-seven postseason series of any kind. Finally, Boston swept the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2004 World Series.

I was in a meeting and thought about this walk so I had to post it haha.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I understand your point, but in this particular game you can win even if your team loses because it is based on the bases made on hits and not on the number of runs made.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I understand your point, but in this particular game you can win even if your team loses because it is based on the bases made on hits and not on the number of runs made.

Right right, I am only advocating treating a single and a walk as equivalent.  that way you can still win even if your team loses.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

Right right, I am only advocating treating a single and a walk as equivalent.  that way you can still win even if your team loses.
I don't agree with you, because I think that has nothing to do with anything the batter has control of...that is the pitcher's chess game.  You don't know if the batter would have flied out, struck out, or hit a home run.  I have nothing to do with the rules, I just like the discussion.  Soooo...how far do you think the rules should be changed?  Should a hit batter be awarded with a  base hit (that he might have made)?  Maybe it should be decided on batting average.  Since this is just a quick, fun game that is played every day in season,  and since there is so much administrative work that goes into it, I suggest we stick to the present rules and not make it even more difficult and time consuming for the people who administer it. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
GreenFaith1819 - Brandon Moss, Oakland A's:

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't agree with you, because I think that has nothing to do with anything the batter has control of...that is the pitcher's chess game.  You don't know if the batter would have flied out, struck out, or hit a home run.  I have nothing to do with the rules, I just like the discussion.  Soooo...how far do you think the rules should be changed?  Should a hit batter be awarded with a  base hit (that he might have made)?  Maybe it should be decided on batting average.  Since this is just a quick, fun game that is played every day in season,  and since there is so much administrative work that goes into it, I suggest we stick to the present rules and not make it even more difficult and time consuming for the people who administer it.
And what about the players who move from second-to-third or first-to-second on a walk? They're advancing bases, too, and if walks were allowed, wouldn't those have to be added under the same rule? Just seems "off" to me, and a bit too grey.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When MLB starts counting walks as TBs so shall we  :D
Yup

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
There you go, Rondo2287, straight from the horse's mouth.  Redz is the one who created this game. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=30645121&topic_id=8067842

Yup.  Walks are as good as a hit, and a wonderful way of getting on base, but as a stat they don't have anything to do with Total Bases.
Yup

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Xander Boegarts with a fine example of the power of the base on balls last night.  However...no TBs...and that's fine.  His OBP is rockin' though.
Yup

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

2013 PAPTBG Playoffs

Quarter Finals

_____________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League

* *  3 3 - 0 0 - 3 2  b e a t s  R o n d o 2 2 8 7  3 / 1 ,  + 3  B a s e s  * *

Game 1 - Fri  10/4  Final

BOS  -  David "Big Papi" Ortiz :  1 Hit / 2 Bases  ( Double )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 0  ( 1 Hit / 2 Bases / 0 RBIs )

TBR  -  Yunel Escobar :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  0 / 1  ( 0 Hits / 0 Bases / 0 RBIs )

Game 2 - Sat  10/5  Final

BOS  -  Will Middlebrooks :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  1.5 / 0.5  ( 2 Hits / 3 Bases / 0 RBIs )

TBR  -  Evan Longoria :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  0.5 / 1.5  ( 1 Hit / 1 Base / 0 RBIs )

Game 3 - Mon  10/7  Final

BOS  -  Shane Victorino :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  / 0 RBIs  =  2.5 / 0.5  ( 3 Hits / 4 Bases / 0 RBIs )

TBR  -  Wil Myers :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  0.5 / 2.5  ( 1 Hit / 1 Base / 0 RBIs )

Game 4 - Tue  10/8  Final

BOS  -  Jarrod Saltalamacchia :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  3 / 1  ( 3 Hits / 4 Bases / 0 RBIs )

TBR  -  James Loney :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 3  ( 1 Hit / 1 Base / 0 RBIs )

( MLB  -  Boston  Red  Sox  beat  Tampa  Bay  Rays  3 / 1 )

* *  R e d z  b e a t s  G r e e n F a i t h 1 8 1 9  3 / 1 ,  + 3  b a s e s  * *

Game 1 - Fri  10/4  Final

DET  -  Victor Martinez :  2 Hits / 3 Bases  ( Double, Single )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 0  ( 2 Hits / 3 Bases / 0 RBIs )

OAK  -  Josh Donaldson :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  0 / 1  ( 0 Hits / 0 Bases / 0 RBIs )

Game 2 - Sat  10/5  Final

DET  -  Torii Hunter :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 1  ( 2 Hits / 3 Bases / 0 RBIs )

OAK  -  Yoenis Cespedes :  2 Hits / 2 Bases  ( Singles )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 1  ( 2 Hits / 2 Bases / 0 RBIs )

Game 3 - Mon  10/7  Final

DET  -  Miguel Cabrera :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  2 / 1  ( 3 Hits / 4 Bases / 0 RBIs)

OAK  -  ** Missed Pick ** :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Ouch )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 2  ( 2 Hits / 2 Bases / 0 RBIs )

Game 4 - Tue  10/8  Final

DET  -  Prince Fielder :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  3 / 1  ( 4 Hits / 5 Bases / 0 RBIs )

OAK  -  Brandon Moss :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 3  ( 2 Hits / 2 Bases / 0 RBIs )

( MLB  -  Oakland  Athletics  and  Detroit Tigers  are tied 2 / 2 )

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League

* *  B a h k u   b e a t s   T h i r s t y B o o t s 1 8   3 / 1 ,  + 1 4   B a s e s  * *

Game 1 - Thu  10/3  Final

ATL  -  Jason Heyward :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  0 / 1  ( 1 Hit / 1 Base / 0 RBIs )

LAD  -  Adrian Gonzalez :  2 Hits / 5 Bases  ( Home Run, Single )  2 RBIs  =  1 / 0  ( 2 Hits / 5 Bases / 2 RBIs )

Game 2 - Fri  10/4  Final

ATL  -  Freddie Freeman :  1 Hit / 2 Bases  ( Double )  0 RBIs  =  0 / 2  ( 2 Hits / 3 Bases / 0 RBIs )

LAD  -  Hanley Ramirez :  3 Hits / 8 Bases  ( 2 Doubles, Home Run )  3 RBIs  =  2 / 0  ( 5 Hits / 13 Bases / 5 RBIs )

Game 3 - Sun  10/6  Final

ATL  -  Justin Upton :  2 Hits / 3 Bases  ( Double, Single )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 2  ( 4 Hits / 6 Bases / 0 RBIs )

LAD  -  Yasiel Puig :  3 Hits / 3 Bases  ( Singles )  2 RBIs  =  2 / 1  ( 8 Hits / 16 Bases / 8 RBIs )

Game 4 - Mon  10/7  Final

ATL  -  Evan Gattis :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 3  ( 4 Hits / 6 Bases / 0 RBIs )

LAD  -  Mark Ellis :  2 Hits / 4 Bases  ( Doubles )  0 RBIs  =  3 / 1  ( 10 Hits / 20 Bases / 8 RBIs )

( MLB  -  Los Angeles Dodgers  beat  Atlanta Braves  3 / 1 )

* *  W h o z e y  b e a t s  W h a t z e y  3 / 2 ,  + 2  b a s e s  * *

Game 1 - Thu  10/5  Final

PIT  -  Andrew McCutchen :  2 Hits / 2 Bases  ( 2 Singles )  0 RBIs  =  0 / 1  ( 2 Hits / 2 Bases / 2 RBIs )

STL  -  Carlos Beltran :  1 Hit / 4 Bases  ( 1 Home Run )  3 RBIs  =  1 / 0  ( 1 Hit / 4 Bases / 3 RBIs )

Game 2 - Fri  10/4  Final

PIT  -  Pedro Alvarez :  2 Hits / 6 Bases  ( Double, Home Run )  2 RBIs  =  1 / 1  ( 4 Hits / 8 Bases / 2 RBIs )

STL  -  Matt Adams :  2 Hits / 3 Bases  ( Double, Single )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 1  ( 3 Hits / 7 Bases / 3 RBIs )

Game 3 - Sun  10/6  Final

PIT  -  Justin Morneau :  1 Hit / 1 Base  ( Single )  0 RBIs  =  2 / 1  ( 5 Hits / 9 Bases / 2 RBIs )

STL  -  Matt Holliday :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1 / 2  ( 3 Hits / 7 Bases / 3 RBIs ) 

Game 4 - Mon  10/7  Final

PIT  -  Marlon Byrd :  0 Hits /  Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  2.5 / 1.5  ( 5 Hits / 9 Bases / 2 RBIs )

STL  -  Yadier Molina :  0 His / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  1.5 / 2.5  ( 3 Hits / 7 Bases / 3 RBIs )

Game 5 - Wed  10/9  Final

PIT  -  Starling Marte :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  3 / 2  ( 5 Hits / 9 Bases / 2 RBIs )

STL  -  Matt Carpenter :  0 Hits / 0 Bases  ( Nada )  0 RBIs  =  2 / 3  ( 3 Hits / 7 Bases / 3 RBIs )

( MLB  -  St. Louis  Cardinals  beat  Pittsburgh  Pirates  3 / 2 )

__________________________________________________________________________________________

** Leaders are marked in red, followers are marked in blue, and ties are marked in purple. All picks are due at the time of that game's start, and in case of a tie, the total bases difference decides the winner, if it's still a tie, then the type of hit decides, (HRs beat Triples, Triples beat Doubles, etc.), if still a tie, then RBIs decide. Missed picks, late picks, and DNPs, will result in a zero score, or minus one base if opponent gets a zero. Thanks to everyone for playing/helping this year, we hope to see you again next season, and try to bring someone new with you ... the more the merrier! **

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:36:01 PM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

** Congratulations to 33-00-32 and Redz, who both win their series 3/1, + 3 bases ... they both move on to the next round. Not sure how this should go, but I assume that 33-00-32 earns a bye in the Semi-Finals and Redz picks conference and team against Bahku, (that's Redz's call). Thanks to Rondo2287 for being available for the playoffs and to Greenfaith1819 for a great run this season ... hope to see you both next Spring! (TPs to all). **

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION

** Congratulations to 33-00-32 and Redz, who both win their series 3/1, + 3 bases ... they both move on to the next round. Not sure how this should go, but I assume that 33-00-32 earns a bye in the Semi-Finals and Redz picks conference and team against Bahku, (that's Redz's call). Thanks to Rondo2287 for being available for the playoffs and to Greenfaith1819 for a great run this season ... hope to see you both next Spring! (TPs to all). **
I think we decided we would bring the top base getter from the 3 losers as the 4th seed and my challenger as the #1 seed. Bahku & Redz will oppose each other in the division series remaining after I choose.

I believe the 4th seed would go to the lady in boots as she had the highest bases of the 3 losers with 6 bases. Now I'm sure she will go on to use the aforementioned boots and her bases skills to kick my...butt!

Good luck to all. I think I'll be taking the Sox as it's more fun to cheer for my team but I'll more formally announce that later.

TP's to GF and Rondo for taking part in the playoffs and Bahku for sorting this all out!
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I think we decided we would bring the top base getter from the 3 losers as the 4th seed and my challenger as the #1 seed. Bahku & Redz will oppose each other in the division series remaining after I choose.

I believe the 4th seed would go to the lady in boots as she had the highest bases of the 3 losers with 6 bases. Now I'm sure she will go on to use the aforementioned boots and her bases skills to kick my...butt!

Good luck to all. I think I'll be taking the Sox as it's more fun to cheer for my team but I'll more formally announce that later.

TP's to GF and Rondo for taking part in the playoffs and Bahku for sorting this all out!
yup

TB moves on.  I'd suggested we used average TBs/game since there might be an uneven amount of games in different series, but either way it comes up TB as our Wild Card winner
Yup