Author Topic: 2012-13 Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread  (Read 1954 times)

2012-13 Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Figured I'd start a general thread about fantasy hoops since I was hoping to post a question anyways and maybe others will follow here.

I'm in a 12 team keeper league.  Its as simple as keeping 3 guys.  No year restrictions or effect on the draft order.  You just keep three guys.

Categories are: FG%, FT%, 3PT Made, Points Scored, OREB, REB, AST, ST, BLK, & TO.

I already know I'm keeping John Wall and Josh Smith.  My third keeper is the one that has me thinking. 

JaVale McGee v. Amar'e.

Who do you got?  I'm actually leaning McGee.  Already pretty much conceding FT% (as evidenced by Josh Smith).  McGee had more OREB & REB last year, shot a significantly better FG&, and had more blocks.

So am I nuts?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: 2012-13 Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
McGee. Upside is huge, Amare's got the potential to (further) fall off a cliff any second.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
McGee. Amare's already looking at missing the first couple weeks of the season with that knee cyst issue, yes? And it's all downhill from here with him.

Plus, you don't have to suffer the ignominy of rooting for a Knick.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Wow, this discussion is making me feel GREAT about keeping McGee for $2 in a keeper league that Amare went for over $20 in.

From a McGee owner, I am constantly reading news about him that Karl still is jerking around with his starting lineups and rotation and its not looking like McGee is in line for 30mpg this year.  A lot of what I'm reading and also thinking myself is that 2013-14 is the year McGee is more likely to break out.  Also, McGee doesn't quite shoot enough FT's to impact FT% that much if you end up drafting other high volume guys on your team.  Guy is an absolute athletic freak though.

And all that said, I don't like Amare this year either.  Any way you can trade one of those guys for a better player?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, this discussion is making me feel GREAT about keeping McGee for $2 in a keeper league that Amare went for over $20 in.

From a McGee owner, I am constantly reading news about him that Karl still is jerking around with his starting lineups and rotation and its not looking like McGee is in line for 30mpg this year.  A lot of what I'm reading and also thinking myself is that 2013-14 is the year McGee is more likely to break out.  Also, McGee doesn't quite shoot enough FT's to impact FT% that much if you end up drafting other high volume guys on your team.  Guy is an absolute athletic freak though.

And all that said, I don't like Amare this year either.  Any way you can trade one of those guys for a better player?

Can't trade so stuck with one or the other.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
who's the better Nugget to pickup--

Faried or McGee?