Author Topic: CB Draft Wrap Up: What Did You Like, What Could Be Better?  (Read 20478 times)

Re: CB Draft Wrap Up: What Did You Like, What Could Be Better?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
For starters, I was not a participant in this year's draft, but a spectator.  This is the only problem I had.

- Crammage happened.  By that I mean too many series were crammed together on the same day, and I had trouble analyzing each one.  I suggest a round of the playoffs lasts one week.  I know this extends the season, but it's easier for both GMs and spectators.

Another good point.  Is it possible to prevent fatigue and GMs dropping off?

Exactly.  Maybe dedicate  a week to Press Conferences, regular season voting, and awards.  Then, take a whole month to do the playoffs.  Week 1 is Round 1, Week 2 is Conference Semis, Week 3 is Conference Finals, and Week 4 is NBA Finals.

Add that to the Draft, and that's a two-month dedication right there.  I know it seems like a lot, but I'm sure we could find 20-25 bloggers who would be willing to participate.  Having lots of time to prepare in between rounds give people incentive to join.

For instance, I'm guessing you, Edgar, and IP were probably stressed out having to come up with analysis for four different teams in the span of what, one-and-a-half weeks?  That's insane!

Spreading out the season not only allows for a more realistic season and playoffs, but also for bloggers to continue to live their lives comfortably.

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Co-GMs are a good thing if there is a reason.  For example if you have limited time to really explore trades or have an issue getting to all the picks.  The way it should be is for the more experienced and skilled GMs work with the newer GMs. 

Too many basketball draft in a year.  If you really need to do another draft, do a different sport draft like football or Baseball.  Or for something different, a pro-wrestling draft. 

I can see spreading out the post season a little bit, but I don't see how that keeps GMs involved.

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I wonder if it's not better to go in the opposite direction and shorten the playoffs instead of extending them. This third week of the CB Draft makes it quite long and overly time consuming (in comparison to the Pick II or Historical Draft). It's the main downside to it for me.

Everyone has a pretty good idea of what each team is capable of before the playoffs even begin. I think there should be a way to make them go a lot quicker.

Edit: Sorry, four weeks. There was a week of press conferences as well. Two weeks for the draft. A week of press conferences and a week of playoffs. Four weeks. I think shorter would be better. Two weeks to two and a half weeks.

I think you have a pretty clear idea of every team before you even do the press conferences (nevermind the playoffs).

Look at that "how is my team thread" - you have 89 pages, 1333 posts and 26,726 views. There is a huge amount of detailed talk on each team with loads of participation before any team even does a press conference ... to the point that I rarely think anything new / substantial is brought to the table in the press conferences.

And then even more re-hashing of the same points that we've already read before (initially brought up in the "how is my team thread" and then said again in the press conferences) ... and then again and again in each subsequent round of the playoffs. Too much repetition across all those levels.

I say "less is more" is the best way to improve the CB Draft.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:43:18 PM by Who »

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I wonder if it's not better to go in the opposite direction and shorten the playoffs instead of extending them. This third week of the CB Draft makes it quite long and overly time consuming (in comparison to the Pick II or Historical Draft). It's the main downside to it for me.

Everyone has a pretty good idea of what each team is capable of before the playoffs even begin. I think there should be a way to make them go a lot quicker.

Edit: Sorry, four weeks. There was a week of press conferences as well. Two weeks for the draft. A week of press conferences and a week of playoffs. Four weeks. I think shorter would be better. Two weeks to two and a half weeks.

I think you have a pretty clear idea of every team before you even do the press conferences (nevermind the playoffs).

Look at that "how is my team thread" - you have 89 pages, 1333 posts and 26,726 views. There is a huge amount of detailed talk on each team with loads of participation before any team even does a press conference ... to the point that I rarely think anything new / substantial is brought to the table in the press conferences.

And then even more re-hashing of the same points that we've already read before (initially brought up in the "how is my team thread" and then said again in the press conferences) ... and then again and again in each subsequent round of the playoffs. Too much repetition across all those levels.

I say "less is more" is the best way to improve the CB Draft.

This actually seems more logical than my idea.  I didn't really get a chance to look at the "How's my team look" thread, but by your explanation it's clear that many GMs and spectators were contributing.

I think a week-and-a-half is a good amount of time for the playoffs.  GMs debate one day, prepare arguments the next day if they advance, and so on.

"Less is more" makes much more sense.

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't think having a longer playoffs would be a good idea. Most GM's (myself) get bored and fatigued after round 10. How about eliminate the playoffs in general and just have a ballot? Team with most votes, wins.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 02:37:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think having a longer playoffs would be a good idea. Most GM's (myself) get bored and fatigued after round 10. How about eliminate the playoffs in general and just have a ballot? Team with most votes, wins.

I'd rather scrap voting all together than go to a system like this.  We had a straight ballot in 2008, and folks clamored for playoffs.

The reason we have playoffs is because the most talented team doesn't always win in a series.  It's about exploiting matchup advantages; a team might be "better" than another team on paper, but when those two teams played, the "lesser" team might win.

The original intent in this draft wasn't to crown a "winner", but to promote discussion of basketball and players we don't see all that often.  Thus, why there's been a focus on press conferences, to allow people to learn / think about players and strategies.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 04:25:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have a solution for the board thing. Remember the Historical Draft where everytime we pick we copy/paste the entire board? When we pick, we copy/paste the board and add our pick, keeping it updated.

I would like to continue doing the lottery as well if it's okay, that was fun.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 07:52:09 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have a solution for the board thing. Remember the Historical Draft where everytime we pick we copy/paste the entire board? When we pick, we copy/paste the board and add our pick, keeping it updated.

I would like to continue doing the lottery as well if it's okay, that was fun.

I like the first idea.  It's getting people to do it that's the harder part.   I know it was proposed this year, and some GMs didn't like the idea, for fear of clutter.

In terms of the lottery, so long as you're up for it, I think everyone would love it.  One rule I'd like to see reinstituted next season is that if you go a top-five pick this year, you're ineligible to start with a top-five pick next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Co-GMs are a good thing if there is a reason.  For example if you have limited time to really explore trades or have an issue getting to all the picks.  The way it should be is for the more experienced and skilled GMs work with the newer GMs. 

Too many basketball draft in a year.  If you really need to do another draft, do a different sport draft like football or Baseball.  Or for something different, a pro-wrestling draft. 

I can see spreading out the post season a little bit, but I don't see how that keeps GMs involved.

I like the idea of football
Also the pro-wrestling, what would it be though 5v5? What brands WWE TNA? How many teams?

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I like the idea of football
Also the pro-wrestling, what would it be though 5v5? What brands WWE TNA? How many teams?

I like a pro-wrestling draft. But how do we play it? Do we make a faction or something?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
a better co GM?

:P

I demmand a soccer draft one of this days
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
a better co GM?

that would also be cool, what leagues?

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
a better co GM?

I want an all time soccer draft

Nice to be back!

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
a better co GM?

Well, i think that would be hard, i was thinking more the premier league and la liga

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
a better co GM?

Well, i think that would be hard, i was thinking more the premier league and la liga

nahhh its better an all time

The Pele Maradona Messi debate
where el magico ranks
"see delonte west"
See ronaldo being picked 105th
great stuff

Nice to be back!