Author Topic: CB Draft Finals: (1) Mavericks vs. (1) Bulls  (Read 56671 times)

Re: CB Draft Finals: (1) Mavericks vs. (1) Bulls
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm calling in the Defense for the Dallas Mavericks to the podium.

Mr. GM.

Prosecution is leaning towards Chicago, the prosecution suggests their lineup is a little bit more talented than the Defense, and might be enough to beat them. What evidence can you provide to dismiss this?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
u cant just break down player vs player/position vs position.  u have to take it a step further and analyze the entire team as a collective unit, as well as gameplans.

Yup.  That's how I view it also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Surprise by the early reactions, I've got Dallas winning this (again) comfortably.

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Surprise by the early reactions, I've got Dallas winning this (again) comfortably.

I think this one is a dogfight.

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Case For Chicago

The Point, Mythbusters edition: Kyrie Irving is an ideal second fiddle to LeBron James against the Bulls

I think that Kyrie Irving is the best prospect aside from Anthony Davis in the NBA. He's already a hell of a player.

But sometimes a very good player meets up with their kryptonite, and I believe that's what happened here.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=holidjr01&p2=irvinky01

Against Jrue Holiday, for those too lazy to click on the link, here is what happened twice last season:

Holiday: 54.5% shooting, 78% from 3, 21.5 pts, 5.5 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
Irving: 34.5% shooting, 40% from 3, 5.5 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal

Now Roy will say Irving will get better, he'll say those numbers are a small sample size. Let me address both.

1) Kyrie Irving will get better. He's 20 years old, just scratching his surface. But, Jrue Holiday will also get better. He's 22 years old, and also just scratching his surface. They'll both get better, but today, Jrue HolidY is an elite defensive PG, while Irving is just an elite offensive scorer Holiday has seemed to figure out.

2) it is a small sample size, but you know what else is a small sample size? KYRIE IRVING'S WHOLE CAREER.  The dude has only played in 51 total NBA games, while holiday has been the starting pg in 2 seasons and 2 post seasons. If you're going to take Kyrie Irving on faith, Holiday not only demands the same consideration, he deserves more.

And the way Holiday killed Irving shouldn't be a huge surprise.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/01/kyrie_irvings_defense_a_growin.html?mobRedir=false

"Sometimes I hesitate, but a lot of times I'm looking at how he's playing on the defensive end," Byron Scott said. "C.J. Watson to me almost looked like Rose the way he was going by him. "If you can't get stops it doesn't matter what you are doing offensively because sooner or later you're going to cool down."

Of the 99 players to defend at least 75 single-covered isolation plays last season, Kyrie allowed the third-most points per play. Only Steve Blake and Dorell Wright were worse.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7854279/ricky-rubio-kyrie-irving-final-nba-rookie-rankings-2012-season

His problem is that he commits fouls on 15.6 percent of the isolation plays he defends, and this gives up free points.

Why does Irving foul so much? He's often in bad position. When his man drives, Irving ends up on his hip and reaches for the ball. For someone so quick on offense, it's strange to see Irving move so slowly and get beat on defense. When Irving crouches into a defensive stance, he struggles to get out of it quickly and stay in front of his man.

Holiday has Irvings number folks, and without the scoring, there really isn't much to be done for Dallas regarding Kyrie.

Two Guard: Dwyane Wade is awesome, or how two quarters dont always make fiddy cents

Thabo sefelsosha is a very good defender. Dwyane Wade won't average 50% shooting against him. But, career wise, Thabo has t averaged more than 25 mpg against Wade, and wade still out scores him by more than 10 pts. Ben Gordon is a good microwave scorer, but when was the last time he really gave wade a run in a series? I'll save you the trouble; 2006. And what's Wade done since 2006? Not much, won a championship, established himself as the best 2 guard in the game, managed to adapt his game to play next to whoever is on his team. What's Ben Gordon done? Managed to languish on the DETROIT PISTONS BENCH and reallly just regressed as a player. If Roy is allowed to pretend like its 2006 for some of his players, so should I. I got some awesome stats for Wade and Pierce, ifyourwondering.

Together, Thabo and Gordon make a good tandem, but either you're getting low defense and scoring (Gordy), or low offense and defense (Thabo). Either situation i welcome.

The forwards: LeBron James is awesome, but who cares?

So I assume we all know LeBron James is awesome. He is. He's awesome.

But if I trot out Young/Pierce who does Lebron take? Pierce, right? So that makes Jeff 'No Heart' Green a 4 against Young. We all know how that goes; Jeff Green is a crappy 4.

What if I trot out Pierce/Bosh at the forwards? Who does LeBron take? Cuz the other guy is going to eat Jeff Green alive.

What about if I go small and trot out Wade/Pierce at the forwards? Sorry Jeff Green, ya just got roasted.

Jeff Green is a good backup 3, but he has no place here as a starter, not in this series.

So let's say the Mavs go big with Varejao at the 4, or Brand (doesn't matter). Guess what? Thad young can score on either guy. They're like, the reason he has a job. Lebron, still guarding Pierce.

The center position: Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Varejao, and the blind taste test, and other notes

Player A at Center:
19.7 PER at center
19.6 PER by opposing centers

Player B:
17.7 PER as center
15.4 PER by opposing centers

Player C:
18.4 PER as a center
12.4 PER by opposing centers

Which one is Chris Bosh, which one is Elton Brand, and which one is Anderson Varejao?

A is Andy. B is Elton Brand. C is Chris Bosh

Both Elton Brand and Andy have gotten reps as high level defenders, and I'm not contesting that. Elton Brand in particular really showed something last year.

But nobody thinks Chris Bosh can defend a paper bag.

The reason is two-fold. 1) people (me included) love to hate on Chris Bosh. 2) Chris Bosh played on terrible defensive teams for a lot of his career, and when he got to Miami, he had elite defenders Lebron James and Dwyane Wade overshadowing him. But here is the reality (apologies to WalkerWaggle):

Chris Bosh is a very capable defensive center especially when you surround him with elite defenders. Kind of like Elton Brand. Elton Brand had a great defensive year, but he also had (for my money) the best defensive wing in the league in Igouadala and a top 3 defensive PG in Jrue Holiday to help out. Without those guys, nobody is talking about Elton Brand's reinvention as a defensive stalwart, because he's not Dwight Howard or Kevin Garnett. Without elite perimeter defense, his own solid defense looks ordinary.

Without Elite defenders, Bosh would be ordinary. But he has elite defenders. He's got an elite defensive PG in Holiday, he's got an elite defensive SG in Wade, and he's got an elite defensive SF in Pierce. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2233

5th best defensive Pg, 4th best defensive SG, 4th best defensive SF, and even the 5th best defensive center on the bench (Brendan Haywood).

As long as Bosh isnt guarding Howard or Bynum, he's not a defensive loss, he's a defensive plus, and a significant one. He does this by outscoring his opposition by nearly 9 points per 48 minutes on average, and playing very good help defense.

Against both Brand and Varejao Bosh has played pretty well historically. He shoots at his average last season, or better, and out scores either defender handily.

When Bosh is out or playing PF, Splitter or Haywood will take the reins. Haywood's defense against Brand and as a anchor should be more than adaquate, while Splitter in particular has had great success in the limited time he's faced Brand, scoring 15 points in 17 minutes the last time the two met.

Conclusion: BULLS WIN!!

You either buy it or you don't. Personally, I think the Mavs are outclassed here. LeBron needed Wade and Bosh to win, and his cast of able if limited role players, a cast which possess an absolute ton of uncertainty (injuries, unfulfilled potential, both in Jeff Green's case) just aren't going to cut it against the Bulls. If Jrue Holiday can manage to not only shut down Kyrie Irving, AND score on the young buck, I don't think Dallas can recover from that. Chicago has too many weapons, too many options.

Also, when in doubt, I HAVE HOME COURT!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I think LeBron's rebounding advantage over Chicago's forwards give Dallas a good edge on the backboards.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Again, every one Jrue over Kyrie!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
For the first time ever, I read an entire post by IP.

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Pretty proud of myself, you guys

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
The Case For Chicago

The Point, Mythbusters edition: Kyrie Irving is an ideal second fiddle to LeBron James against the Bulls

I think that Kyrie Irving is the best prospect aside from Anthony Davis in the NBA. He's already a hell of a player.

But sometimes a very good player meets up with their kryptonite, and I believe that's what happened here.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=holidjr01&p2=irvinky01

Against Jrue Holiday, for those too lazy to click on the link, here is what happened twice last season:

Holiday: 54.5% shooting, 78% from 3, 21.5 pts, 5.5 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
Irving: 34.5% shooting, 40% from 3, 5.5 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal

Now Roy will say Irving will get better, he'll say those numbers are a small sample size. Let me address both.

1) Kyrie Irving will get better. He's 20 years old, just scratching his surface. But, Jrue Holiday will also get better. He's 22 years old, and also just scratching his surface. They'll both get better, but today, Jrue HolidY is an elite defensive PG, while Irving is just an elite offensive scorer Holiday has seemed to figure out.

2) it is a small sample size, but you know what else is a small sample size? KYRIE IRVING'S WHOLE CAREER.  The dude has only played in 51 total NBA games, while holiday has been the starting pg in 2 seasons and 2 post seasons. If you're going to take Kyrie Irving on faith, Holiday not only demands the same consideration, he deserves more.

And the way Holiday killed Irving shouldn't be a huge surprise.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/01/kyrie_irvings_defense_a_growin.html?mobRedir=false

"Sometimes I hesitate, but a lot of times I'm looking at how he's playing on the defensive end," Byron Scott said. "C.J. Watson to me almost looked like Rose the way he was going by him. "If you can't get stops it doesn't matter what you are doing offensively because sooner or later you're going to cool down."

Of the 99 players to defend at least 75 single-covered isolation plays last season, Kyrie allowed the third-most points per play. Only Steve Blake and Dorell Wright were worse.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7854279/ricky-rubio-kyrie-irving-final-nba-rookie-rankings-2012-season

His problem is that he commits fouls on 15.6 percent of the isolation plays he defends, and this gives up free points.

Why does Irving foul so much? He's often in bad position. When his man drives, Irving ends up on his hip and reaches for the ball. For someone so quick on offense, it's strange to see Irving move so slowly and get beat on defense. When Irving crouches into a defensive stance, he struggles to get out of it quickly and stay in front of his man.

Holiday has Irvings number folks, and without the scoring, there really isn't much to be done for Dallas regarding Kyrie.

Two Guard: Dwyane Wade is awesome, or how two quarters dont always make fiddy cents

Thabo sefelsosha is a very good defender. Dwyane Wade won't average 50% shooting against him. But, career wise, Thabo has t averaged more than 25 mpg against Wade, and wade still out scores him by more than 10 pts. Ben Gordon is a good microwave scorer, but when was the last time he really gave wade a run in a series? I'll save you the trouble; 2006. And what's Wade done since 2006? Not much, won a championship, established himself as the best 2 guard in the game, managed to adapt his game to play next to whoever is on his team. What's Ben Gordon done? Managed to languish on the DETROIT PISTONS BENCH and reallly just regressed as a player. If Roy is allowed to pretend like its 2006 for some of his players, so should I. I got some awesome stats for Wade and Pierce, ifyourwondering.

Together, Thabo and Gordon make a good tandem, but either you're getting low defense and scoring (Gordy), or low offense and defense (Thabo). Either situation i welcome.

The forwards: LeBron James is awesome, but who cares?

So I assume we all know LeBron James is awesome. He is. He's awesome.

But if I trot out Young/Pierce who does Lebron take? Pierce, right? So that makes Jeff 'No Heart' Green a 4 against Young. We all know how that goes; Jeff Green is a crappy 4.

What if I trot out Pierce/Bosh at the forwards? Who does LeBron take? Cuz the other guy is going to eat Jeff Green alive.

What about if I go small and trot out Wade/Pierce at the forwards? Sorry Jeff Green, ya just got roasted.

Jeff Green is a good backup 3, but he has no place here as a starter, not in this series.

So let's say the Mavs go big with Varejao at the 4, or Brand (doesn't matter). Guess what? Thad young can score on either guy. They're like, the reason he has a job. Lebron, still guarding Pierce.

The center position: Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Varejao, and the blind taste test, and other notes

Player A at Center:
19.7 PER at center
19.6 PER by opposing centers

Player B:
17.7 PER as center
15.4 PER by opposing centers

Player C:
18.4 PER as a center
12.4 PER by opposing centers

Which one is Chris Bosh, which one is Elton Brand, and which one is Anderson Varejao?

A is Andy. B is Elton Brand. C is Chris Bosh

Both Elton Brand and Andy have gotten reps as high level defenders, and I'm not contesting that. Elton Brand in particular really showed something last year.

But nobody thinks Chris Bosh can defend a paper bag.

The reason is two-fold. 1) people (me included) love to hate on Chris Bosh. 2) Chris Bosh played on terrible defensive teams for a lot of his career, and when he got to Miami, he had elite defenders Lebron James and Dwyane Wade overshadowing him. But here is the reality (apologies to WalkerWaggle):

Chris Bosh is a very capable defensive center especially when you surround him with elite defenders. Kind of like Elton Brand. Elton Brand had a great defensive year, but he also had (for my money) the best defensive wing in the league in Igouadala and a top 3 defensive PG in Jrue Holiday to help out. Without those guys, nobody is talking about Elton Brand's reinvention as a defensive stalwart, because he's not Dwight Howard or Kevin Garnett. Without elite perimeter defense, his own solid defense looks ordinary.

Without Elite defenders, Bosh would be ordinary. But he has elite defenders. He's got an elite defensive PG in Holiday, he's got an elite defensive SG in Wade, and he's got an elite defensive SF in Pierce. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2233

5th best defensive Pg, 4th best defensive SG, 4th best defensive SF, and even the 5th best defensive center on the bench (Brendan Haywood).

As long as Bosh isnt guarding Howard or Bynum, he's not a defensive loss, he's a defensive plus, and a significant one. He does this by outscoring his opposition by nearly 9 points per 48 minutes on average, and playing very good help defense.

Against both Brand and Varejao Bosh has played pretty well historically. He shoots at his average last season, or better, and out scores either defender handily.

When Bosh is out or playing PF, Splitter or Haywood will take the reins. Haywood's defense against Brand and as a anchor should be more than adaquate, while Splitter in particular has had great success in the limited time he's faced Brand, scoring 15 points in 17 minutes the last time the two met.

Conclusion: BULLS WIN!!

You either buy it or you don't. Personally, I think the Mavs are outclassed here. LeBron needed Wade and Bosh to win, and his cast of able if limited role players, a cast which possess an absolute ton of uncertainty (injuries, unfulfilled potential, both in Jeff Green's case) just aren't going to cut it against the Bulls. If Jrue Holiday can manage to not only shut down Kyrie Irving, AND score on the young buck, I don't think Dallas can recover from that. Chicago has too many weapons, too many options.

Also, when in doubt, I HAVE HOME COURT!!

The IP Factor at its best, Jrue Holiday shot amazing from downtown .778 now i wont say Jrue is the better player but when they play head to head he is that being said i think im leaning towards the Bulls

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
IP,

Thadeus Young proved to be invisible in a first round playoff matchup against the Celtics. Why should I believe that he's ready to be a deciding factor in the NBA Finals?

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Hey, you guys psyched you voted the Lakers out now?

We'd be killing it with posts now.

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hey, you guys psyched you voted the Lakers out now?

We'd be killing it with posts now.

Sour grapes?

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
KC, check pm's

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

LAKER INVASION

Al Horford, LaMarcus Alridge, Rudy Gay, Tony Allen, Kyle Lowry

Marshon Brooks, Nick Collison, Carlos Delfino, Devin Harris

Dionne Waitors, Dahntay Jones, Chris Wilcox, Al Farouq Aminu

OH HI HATERS,

After being prematurely being eliminated because of a strong mixture of incompetence and jealousy from the voters, THE GREATEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE CELTICSBLOG DRAFT, has decided to crash the party.

Now I know what you're thinking "I'm stupid and ugly. Also, why do the Lakers get to enter the Finals? Do they have mod approval?"

NO, YOU IDIOTS. WE DON'T. WE'RE JUST BETTER THAN BOTH TEAMS INVOLVED AND SHOULD'VE BEEN HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. SO GUESS WHAT, NOW WE'RE INVOLVED. AND WE'RE GONG TO WIN. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT POST A MEME.

Here's a statistical breakdown:

The Mavericks are pathetic
The Bulls are pathetic
The Lakers are incredible

Disagree? Shut your mouth cuz you're ugly. You don't understand what a beautiful team looks like because you're far from it. Me and KC? The handsomest posters in the history of message boards.

3 years in a row, we've unanimously elected best posters on handsomebros.com/forums a website handsome bro's go to discuss what it's like to be so incredibly good looking. So, uh, ya - we kinda know what it's like to appreciate beauty. Hence the ability to create such a miraculous assembly of talent

So if you want to know what it's like to be ridiculouly good looking, vote Lakers. The greatest organization in the history of the NBA.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:13:56 PM by StartOrien »