Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 30216 times)

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Seeing that Tatum dunk last night, man, if he does go in an AD deal then I'll really miss him  :(

I think it will be a bad decision to trade tatum.

If Davis wants us, then no tatum. period.

Theoretically I think having Brown (and/or Smart) post-Davis trade is the better fit for the roster as a whole if we assume Hayward essentially takes over the wing spot (and maybe Morris if he re-signs or Semi as he takes on a bit of a bigger role off the bench I imagine).
Fit shouldn’t be an issue if you’re talking a prospect of Tatum’s caliber. You don’t ditch him because the roster doesn’t fit him, you change the roster around him. We’re much worse off long term with Brown or Smart than with Tatum. To use absurdity to illustrate the point, you don’t trade Bird because ‘hey, we’ve got a lot of forwards’.

If Danny loses Tatum without keeping Davis long term, he should be immediately fired. That’s a mistake he can’t make.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Seeing that Tatum dunk last night, man, if he does go in an AD deal then I'll really miss him  :(

Theoretically I think having Brown (and/or Smart) post-Davis trade is the better fit for the roster as a whole if we assume Hayward essentially takes over the wing spot (and maybe Morris if he re-signs or Semi as he takes on a bit of a bigger role off the bench I imagine).
Fit shouldn’t be an issue if you’re talking a prospect of Tatum’s caliber. You don’t ditch him because the roster doesn’t fit him, you change the roster around him. We’re much worse off long term with Brown or Smart than with Tatum. To use absurdity to illustrate the point, you don’t trade Bird because ‘hey, we’ve got a lot of forwards’.

If Danny loses Tatum without keeping Davis long term, he should be immediately fired. That’s a mistake he can’t make.

Well obviously he's not making this deal w/o a commitment from AD. I was only answering @silky's point that we can get AD w/o including Tatum as I think they clearly will want him now in a trade package. Maybe Brown can increase his value but otherwise that ship has likely sailed (Brown + Williams + Salary +  Picks). Otherwise yeah, like the title of my post says, trading Tatum for a pure rental would be idiotic  :P

If we did manage to make an AD trade and kept Tatum, then awesome! But there'd also be some movement I imagine where Hayward plays the 2, or Tatum/Hayward may not get all their minutes, etc. Not a big deal and I agree with you, but personally I think folks are underrating Brown's potential too. Tatum is the better player currently with a higher ceiling but Jaylen's no scrub either and there's still some legitimate elite, 2-way potential in him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think once AD gets assurances that Kyrie is re-signing with Celtics, he will commit long term to Boston before being traded.  Paul whispered that Kyrie wanted to go to Knicks, which made AD worried about Boston's future.  When Paul heard that AD's dad was mad at Boston for trading IT, he told Ramone to call him to get a quote. All BS strategy. Can't blame him for trying. That's his job, although the conflicts of interest he faces repping Lebron is ridiculous.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Well obviously he's not making this deal w/o a commitment from AD. I was only answering @silky's point that we can get AD w/o including Tatum as I think they clearly will want him now in a trade package. Maybe Brown can increase his value but otherwise that ship has likely sailed (Brown + Williams + Salary +  Picks). Otherwise yeah, like the title of my post says, trading Tatum for a pure rental would be idiotic  :P

If we did manage to make an AD trade and kept Tatum, then awesome! But there'd also be some movement I imagine where Hayward plays the 2, or Tatum/Hayward may not get all their minutes, etc. Not a big deal and I agree with you, but personally I think folks are underrating Brown's potential too. Tatum is the better player currently with a higher ceiling but Jaylen's no scrub either and there's still some legitimate elite, 2-way potential in him.

Not sure I see how Ainge is going to get a commitment. Davis said he wants to hit free agency in 2020. And I don't think the Pelicans are dealing Davis w/o getting Tatum in return.

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
All this drama, I think I'm ready to move on too. I think I'd rather make a move for Beal.

Brown, Baynes, this year's buyout player, SAC pick signed, LAC pick signed, and Yabu for Beal.

Irving, Beal, Hayward, Tatum, Horford
Smart, Veteran Min. (Crawford?), Ojeleye, re-sign Theis, Williams
2019 BOS pick (Tre Jones?), re-sign Wanamaker, fill out the team with Veteran min.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Tatum absolutely cannot be included in a trade for Davis unless there is a 100% guarantee he will resign.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
All this drama, I think I'm ready to move on too. I think I'd rather make a move for Beal.

Brown, Baynes, this year's buyout player, SAC pick signed, LAC pick signed, and Yabu for Beal.

2019 BOS pick (Tre Jones?), re-sign Wanamaker, fill out the team with Veteran min.

The sad thing is, it really isn’t drama.  It’s perceived drama for some people, created by stories and fake news put out over and over by parties of interest to make the Celtics look unstable.  It sours people on certain things, like Davis and it’s effective in what it’s aimed to do.  Really messed up and disturbing.

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

The sad thing is, it really isn’t drama.  It’s perceived drama for some people, created by stories and fake news put out over and over by parties of interest to make the Celtics look unstable.  It sours people on certain things, like Davis and it’s effective in what it’s aimed to do.  Really messed up and disturbing.

Even still, I think I'd rather bring in Beal and keep Tatum then go after Davis.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Not sure I see how Ainge is going to get a commitment. Davis said he wants to hit free agency in 2020. And I don't think the Pelicans are dealing Davis w/o getting Tatum in return.

then the team waves goodbye to NOP.

Tatum, plus picks, plus salary players, plus williams etc is better overall than Just Davis.

I will stand by that, the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole.

If NOP wont deal then move on to someone else. Team is already one of the best in the league, and that is after a terribly gross start. With Hayward coming around, brown and tatum back to normal this team is only missing a reliable center.

Dont need to gut team for Davis.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He wants to hit free agency because at this point he wants to maximize his earnings after losing tens of millions by not signing the Supermax deal.

So Davis most likely signs a couple of 1+1 contracts or a 2+1 contract until he can get a 5 year max when he hits his 10th year and can get 35% of the cap.

So Davis isn't signing an extension. It would cost him more millions to do so. So no matter where he is traded, he probably isn't signing an extension before 2020.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He wants to hit free agency because at this point he wants to maximize his earnings after losing tens of millions by not signing the Supermax deal.

So Davis most likely signs a couple of 1+1 contracts or a 2+1 contract until he can get a 5 year max when he hits his 10th year and can get 35% of the cap.

So Davis isn't signing an extension. It would cost him more millions to do so. So no matter where he is traded, he probably isn't signing an extension before 2020.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Even still, I think I'd rather bring in Beal and keep Tatum then go after Davis.

I'm not against adding Beal either if we don't grab AD. Now of course you obviously shouldn't sell the farm for Beal (he makes 27M next year too), but the part about the buyout player we sign on a 2-year deal and his 2nd year - 5.3M salary counting in a trade makes it an intriguing possibility still.

It's certainly an option I'd explore at least.

I've mentioned it before but while it won't happen this summer or probably next year, KAT is the next "big thing" I'd covet if not Davis. In today's league where players seem to dictate more, I wouldn't be surprised to see him want out IF MIN has another mediocre season in 2019-2020 and possibly 2020-2021 also.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Naw, got enough wings.

Go after a proper center.

Randle, Vucevic, Nurkic, Jonas

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Naw, got enough wings.

Go after a proper center.

Randle, Vucevic, Nurkic, Jonas

Part of the problem there is, we don't have the cap space to get it done so you'd have to hope they're willing to play for MLE or something. Otherwise, I'd love Randle or Vucevic at a reasonable price to go along with Horford, Baynes (for at least next season) and Timelord.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I'm not against adding Beal either if we don't grab AD. Now of course you obviously shouldn't sell the farm for Beal (he makes 27M next year too), but the part about the buyout player we sign on a 2-year deal and his 2nd year - 5.3M salary counting in a trade makes it an intriguing possibility still.

It's certainly an option I'd explore at least.

I've mentioned it before but while it won't happen this summer or probably next year, KAT is the next "big thing" I'd covet if not Davis. In today's league where players seem to dictate more, I wouldn't be surprised to see him want out IF MIN has another mediocre season in 2019-2020 and possibly 2020-2021 also.

Smart is a better fit for the Celtics than Beal, he's also twice the defender, established heart and soul, and a leader, (something Beal hasn't been known for), guess what... He wouldn't cost anything!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different