Author Topic: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?  (Read 11270 times)

Re: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's only hyperbole is if it's good comment or so I read on Celticsblog.  Nice evaluations.

I posit that youre opinion and those of the 'POB is too soft" crew will hold on to this feeling in the same way that the  'Doc cant coach' and 'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews..  We are literally going to need the 'jaws of life' to survive these posts.  

We did also have issues in the playoffs at PG against Hunter.

And POB IS soft. Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I'm hoping POB will show something earlier, but it's just a fan's hope.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think you will see POB a lot Wednesday night. He might even start since it sounds like they are going to be very cautious with Perk.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I think you will see POB a lot Wednesday night. He might even start since it sounds like they are going to be very cautious with Perk.
Doc and Perk have said many times that the 3rd preseason game is the earliest we will see Perk.

POB will definitely get minutes, especially considering the big 3 will not get many minutes until the last few preseason games.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON

Its probably more they hope they see something from him before the March 1st deadline to sign free agents. 

Thats a realistic outlook from Doc I think.  I know all of us got use to seeing immediate results with free agents last year, but POB is still very young, is learning a new offense, and a pretty complicated defense.  I think Doc and Danny will probably sit down at the All Star break and take a look at him and consider the options if they need one.
Greg

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON

Its probably more they hope they see something from him before the March 1st deadline to sign free agents. 

Thats a realistic outlook from Doc I think.  I know all of us got use to seeing immediate results with free agents last year, but POB is still very young, is learning a new offense, and a pretty complicated defense.  I think Doc and Danny will probably sit down at the All Star break and take a look at him and consider the options if they need one.

If PJ wanted to come back (late in the year) for another title run, I'd say cut Scal.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
as odd as it sounds, Id leave cutting Scal to create space as a last resort.  Isnt his deal expiring after next season??  Id hate to cut the guy right before we actually have a chance to turn his overpaid contract into a positive by possibly aquiring a useful player from a team trying to dump salary.
Greg

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I was surprised/disappointed at the size of both Walker and Giddens both looked to be Tony Allen's size considerably smaller than PP and eve shorter than Ray??

They are both 2 guards doubt either has the size to play much 3?

TV angles can be misleading but what info observations do others have on this.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I was surprised/disappointed at the size of both Walker and Giddens both looked to be Tony Allen's size considerably smaller than PP and eve shorter than Ray??

Giddens and Walker are both about 6'3-6'4ish. Ray is around 6'5 and PP 6'6ish.  The listing of Walker at 6'6 is adding two inches even in shoes.  In this pic Bill and JR seem to be the same height. Bill may be a little taller.   

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0b2M5rk4EH37s/610x.jpg

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 12:53:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
GIDDENS is 6'4" Without shoes. draftexpress.com But he has a 6'11" wingspan which is amazing. dwane wade has basically the same height, wingspan, and vertical as J.R.  But D-wade is obviously a lot stronger, better body control etc.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 01:36:05 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Giddens and Walker are both about 6'3-6'4ish. Ray is around 6'5 and PP 6'6ish.  The listing of Walker at 6'6 is adding two inches even in shoes.  In this pic Bill and JR seem to be the same height. Bill may be a little taller.   

What is your point of reference when you say they look the same height?

I think Walker definitely looks taller. Look at the wall behind them.

Bottom line is that picture tells us nothing. We can't see their shoes. We can't tell their posture. There are too many lines in the room that can lead to visual illusions.

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It's only hyperbole is if it's good comment or so I read on Celticsblog.  Nice evaluations.

I posit that youre opinion and those of the 'POB is too soft" crew will hold on to this feeling in the same way that the  'Doc cant coach' and 'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews..  We are literally going to need the 'jaws of life' to survive these posts.  

We did also have issues in the playoffs at PG against Hunter.

And POB IS soft. Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I'm hoping POB will show something earlier, but it's just a fan's hope.

Yep like when Sam Cassell got stripped by Lindsey Hunter in the playoffs.. I guess my point is being missed.  And your concern over POB without sufficient evidence is similar to 'The C's need another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crew.  And what does contributing by the end of the season (in caps) have to do with being soft?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:26:37 PM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:21 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

My point of reference was the practice floor and the players standing next to each other.  Scribble's numbers would agree with what I saw.  That would mean that these guys are "2" guards not small forwards-- they duplicate Tony Allen and unless Miles works out we are short on numbers at the 3.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:32:17 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

My point of reference was the practice floor and the players standing next to each other.  Scribble's numbers would agree with what I saw.  That would mean that these guys are "2" guards not small forwards-- they duplicate Tony Allen and unless Miles works out we are short on numbers at the 3.

but the camera is held down low and is slopping across, so prespective should actuall warp the back of this picture and give the farther subjects more "height"

this picture would be useful if it was stright on and from 20-30ft back, sideways tiliting up isn't a good referance spot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

but the camera is held down low and is slopping across, so prespective should actuall warp the back of this picture and give the farther subjects more "height"

this picture would be useful if it was stright on and from 20-30ft back, sideways tiliting up isn't a good referance spot.

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/28/2008/07/02/175x131/celticsrookies.jpg

This is maybe better?  Bill looks a little taller, but is no 6'6.  I'd say 6'4 and a half, or a short 6'5.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
I guess I might be the only one that thought Walker was bigger than expected when I saw the practice/scrimmage on NBA TV.  You might be right, he might not be 6'6", but the man definetly has more thickness to him than both JR and TA.  He definetly has an NBA ready body.  If he could prove that he can be a GOOD NBA defender he seems like a guy that could potentially spell Paul Pierce covering Lebron.  He has the strength to play physically and has the leaping ability to still bother shots. 

Same could be true with JR but after watching that practice he seems like someone who could end up in the D-League.  If that happens itll be interesting to see how he handles it.
Greg