Author Topic: Jaylen Brown and Scary Terry are keepers  (Read 4980 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown and Scary Terry are keepers
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
So we're not benching a small forward who may not perform back at his previous all star levels for a few games to gauge where he is with two youngsters that may very well be all stars next year because he makes max money? Some sound logic you guys have there, I guess Hondo should have never been a 6th man.

Hondo is irrelevant to the current Celtics. If that's such a place of honor how is it you're declaring Hayward to the bench?

I love our young guys, but neither is ready to beat out a veteran who was an all star in the loaded western conference. He carried a team to the playoffs, proved he can go out and get 20-25 almost every night. Neither of our young forwards has proven themselves ready to do that.

But sending Hayward to the bench isn't nearly as ludicrous as the notion that Rozier is a keeper and Irving is expendable.

We could use Havlicek tomorrow. That dude never tired in a game!

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I love our young guys, but neither is ready to beat out a veteran who was an all star in the loaded western conference. He carried a team to the playoffs, proved he can go out and get 20-25 almost every night. Neither of our young forwards has proven themselves ready to do that.

Umm, isn't that exactly what they have proven?

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 04:05:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So we're not benching a small forward who may not perform back at his previous all star levels for a few games to gauge where he is with two youngsters that may very well be all stars next year because he makes max money? Some sound logic you guys have there, I guess Hondo should have never been a 6th man.
You gauge where Hayward is in trainging camp and the preseason then set your lineup. Last year when Stevens did that, he came away with a lineup on opening night of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. See no reason why that is going to change, especially with the development of the Jays.

Also, Havlicek was a six man those early years because the Celtics had a stacked lineup of Cousy/Ramsay/Loscutoff/Heinsohn/Russell and had come off 4 straight championships with iterations of that lineup. Havlicek had to prove himself. Sam Jones came off the bench a bunch of year because Ramsay was in front of him. Its the way things were back then.
I was talking about old Hondo in the late 70s, I'm pretty sure he was a sixth man at that point too but was still a great player.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Hondo is irrelevant to the current Celtics. If that's such a place of honor how is it you're declaring Hayward to the bench?

But sending Hayward to the bench isn't nearly as ludicrous as the notion that Rozier is a keeper and Irving is expendable.
So we're taking out how well both youngsters have done and their huge room for improvement out of the equation? It's not impossible to say both become all star caliber players after the offseason. And you don't know if Hayward will be himself right off the bat so I'd say put him as a 6th man while playing 30 mpg or so and see how it goes from there.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2018, 04:25:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not really
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Not really
Um yes they have, by leading their teams in scoring consistently while winning more playoff games in a single run than Hayward has ever done in his whole career.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Maybe they can't win veterans like LeBron by themselves... but with the help of Horford and the crowd they will... and they will win the title against the rockets

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Not really
Um yes they have, by leading their teams in scoring consistently while winning more playoff games in a single run than Hayward has ever done in his whole career.
Yeah, and they're still provably worse than Hayward. Next

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Not really
Not so sure about that after an offseason of work+improvement.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Not really

Don't know what the penchant is to try to rank players on the roster. It's not like you can assign Rozier an 82 and Hayward an 86 like NBA2k does. Basketball just doesn't work like that.

That this is even a conversation makes it clear that the Cs are in a good position. They are one game from the finals with 3-4 key injuries and they can potentially bring back everyone next year.

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »

Offline 55yrfan

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Smart may not be a great shooter...but the grit he brought tonight was fantastic.  He's not the best Celtic on the floor but he wins the grit award every single night.  My favorite play was when he dove over Lebron on the ground and yanked the ball out of his hands in the process.  Also the block on Lebron was awesome, especially giving up so much size....

Since we are sticking Marcus Smart into a thread about how well Rozier and Brown played>  What about the 2nd quarter when Marcus's horrible shot selection, trying to be the hero, blew our lead and put us in a hole?

Marcus needs less grit and more smarts!

I don't know what it is with you guys who drink the Marcus kool-aid - you need to acknowledge that with Marcus you get the bad, sometimes awful, with the good!

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Smart may not be a great shooter...but the grit he brought tonight was fantastic.  He's not the best Celtic on the floor but he wins the grit award every single night.  My favorite play was when he dove over Lebron on the ground and yanked the ball out of his hands in the process.  Also the block on Lebron was awesome, especially giving up so much size....

Since we are sticking Marcus Smart into a thread about how well Rozier and Brown played>  What about the 2nd quarter when Marcus's horrible shot selection, trying to be the hero, blew our lead and put us in a hole?

I don't know what it is with you guys who drink the Marcus kool-aid - you need to acknowledge that with Marcus you get the bad, sometimes awful, with the good!

I agree 100% with you on Smart, he hurts the team at times just as much as he helps them at times. If he just would understand his role he would be a much better player. He has to stop thinking he's an offensive player he simply isn't. Doesn't shoot well enough to be that. Poor shot selection as well.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »

Offline 55yrfan

• Open Roster Spot

It's not kool - aid, its real. When he steps on the floor everybody becomes a defender, they know the 50/50 balls are theirs, the hustle, the assists. Should I keep going? I agree on shot selection, please Marcus, only when the shot clock is winding down. Keep the threes in your pocket. Come signing time, I pay him.

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »

Offline 55yrfan

• Open Roster Spot
I don't agree with the reasoning that because he's a max guy, he should start. We've seen star players come off the bench (from Hondo, to McHale, to Ginobli), so that doesn't really stand up.

However, I think Hayward should start due to the way he actually plays the game. He's an elite facilitator on the wing, which is something both Tatum and Brown aren't good at (at the moment). He's a great shooter from deep, good and versatile defender - much stronger than Brown - and incredibly consistent. I think he'd be the perfect guy next to our two youngsters.

I'm sure Brad will figure it out. It's a very good problem to have
Brown is your 2 guard.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Not really
Well he’s a better scorer, rebounder, passer and ball-handler than both of them, and a better defender than Tatum, so I’d be very surprised if they both eclipse him