Author Topic: The Informant (movie)  (Read 1597 times)

The Informant (movie)
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I saw this one last night.  Excellent job by Matt Damon as the bipolar lie-aholic informant guy.  It was a nice slowly building character.

Surprisingly good supporting role from Scott Bakula.
Yup

Re: The Informant (movie)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I saw it last week, and I don't know if my expectations were too high or what (it got such tremendous reviews) but I came away disappointed.  Perhaps it was the marketing campaign or something, but I was expecting a full-blown Anchorman style comedy.  45 minutes into it and I was chuckling a little bit.  But I was nowhere near lol'ing.

Did you know ahead of time that it was a subtle, almost Cohen Brothers-esque caper movie?  I did not.  And I'm pretty sure that's why I had a negative reaction to it.  Because I generally enjoy Cohen Brothers' movies.  If I know that's what I'm getting myself into.

Re: The Informant (movie)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i read the book and was surprised to see the movie marketed as a comedy. The book was made to be like a real life "the Firm" by John Grisham. It wasn't really that great of a drama, but when you consider it was all true it's kind of shocking. Anyway, yeah the main character was kind of a nut - but it's not really funny. He and his company screwed basically everyone (anyone who pays money for food)to the tune of millions of dollars. And they essentially got away with it. A slap on the wrist and now the main guy's doing fine running another business. meanwhile the law enforcement guys had their lives wrecked by this. I thought the story was overall dis-heartening - cash rules everything around me!

anyway, i wonder how the real live people whose lives were affected feel about this being made into a comedy.