3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 48818 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Minnesota Timberwolves President/Coach Tom Thibodeau met with All-Star forward Jimmy Butler on Monday and tried to convince him to eventually rejoin the team in the preseason, league sources tell ESPN. Butler is sitting out, awaiting the organization to honor his trade request.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1044423082134384642?s=21

Lol in the media day presser Thibs tried to play it off as working back from injury or something, saying he just needs an extra week to get right. I was like "what??"
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2018, 12:30:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Dan Gilbert and Glen Taylor apparently had conversations about Butler at the Owner's meeting.  It seems the Cavs want to be in on the discussions and may try to really go for it this year.  Cavs also have a number of varying size salaries so plenty of deals could be worked out where the Cavs take on Dieng (and anyone else the Wolves would want to dump). 

Something like this makes some sense for both teams

Butler, Dieng for Thompson, Korver, Dekker, Zizic

Wolves save a ton of money and get out of the tax and get some toughness and rebounding next to Towns in Thompson (who is 1 less year than Dieng), a shooter off the bench in Korver, and 2 young players.  Cavs add a top level player to go for it for a year and don't lose anyone they can't afford to lose while taking on Dieng's contract. 

Now maybe Butler's market is great and the Wolves can do a lot better than that, but that is at least a credible package that serves a number of goals for the Wolves and if they don't want Thompson, the Cavs have Smith, Hill, and Clarkson with large contracts available that can be swapped in.

When you say the Cavs may really try to go for it this year, what is the it? The 5th or 6th seed in the east? Or do you mean they would make additional moves and somehow try to compete with golden state and boston?

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:50 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Thibs will be fired sooner rather than later... maybe that's what he is trying to accomplish.. he isn't  a playoff team without buttler

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:40 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Now I think maybe Butler and Dieng's contract to Washington for Porter and Morris' expiring one year deal. I'm starting to feel the beginning of the season!

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2018, 07:02:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thibs will be fired sooner rather than later... maybe that's what he is trying to accomplish.. he isn't  a playoff team without buttler
Yeah, I think his time in Minny is ending.  They could 'demote' him to just coach, like Doc, but he really hasn't proven himself in that role either.  Thibs is just too stubborn, unlike Brad who seems to be able to adjust his coaching style to the players he has.

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Dan Gilbert and Glen Taylor apparently had conversations about Butler at the Owner's meeting.  It seems the Cavs want to be in on the discussions and may try to really go for it this year.  Cavs also have a number of varying size salaries so plenty of deals could be worked out where the Cavs take on Dieng (and anyone else the Wolves would want to dump). 

Something like this makes some sense for both teams

Butler, Dieng for Thompson, Korver, Dekker, Zizic

Wolves save a ton of money and get out of the tax and get some toughness and rebounding next to Towns in Thompson (who is 1 less year than Dieng), a shooter off the bench in Korver, and 2 young players.  Cavs add a top level player to go for it for a year and don't lose anyone they can't afford to lose while taking on Dieng's contract. 

Now maybe Butler's market is great and the Wolves can do a lot better than that, but that is at least a credible package that serves a number of goals for the Wolves and if they don't want Thompson, the Cavs have Smith, Hill, and Clarkson with large contracts available that can be swapped in.

When you say the Cavs may really try to go for it this year, what is the it? The 5th or 6th seed in the east? Or do you mean they would make additional moves and somehow try to compete with golden state and boston?
I would think if they made that team the Cavs would have a real shot at a top 4 seed in the East.  In that scenario they would have a pretty decent lineup with a fair amount of depth starting Sexton, Butler, Hood, Love, Dieng with Hill, Clarkson, Nance, Osman, and Smith off the bench (and maybe they start Hill and bring Sexton off the bench in that scenario).  That team is a poor match-up with the Celtics, but could certainly beat any of the other Eastern teams in the playoffs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Since Bradley can't really be traded from LAC until later in the year, I doubt he is going out for LAC.

But the Bradley-Butler backcourt makes a lot of sense. Butler is a primary ball-handler. Bradley is not. Bradley is a pesk to primary guards. Butler is a better defender against bigger guys. Bradley moves really well off the ball and Butler is a really good creator and distributor.

I also think Dieng could be a starter in a different situation. Imagine if he is finally able to deliver on his defensive promise.

Bradley-Butler-Harris-Luc-Dieng. Harris is an underrated defender against swings. Luc is a really heady defender. That team could be nasty on both sides of the court.

Then you think about Shai's versatility, Beverly's defense, Teletovic's secondary creation, Harrell's energy, Gortat's there-ness, and Williams' scoring.

That team is deep, versatile, feisty, and could push for a top 4 seed in the West.

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Now I think maybe Butler and Dieng's contract to Washington for Porter and Morris' expiring one year deal. I'm starting to feel the beginning of the season!

This trade makes a ton of sense for both teams. Washington gets a real upgrade and maybe gets off the treadmill. Minny gets a "young vet" with upside. I don't see them getting a better return than this.

Tho if I'm Washington I try to keep Morris. They need his toughness and versatility.

« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Since Bradley can't really be traded from LAC until later in the year, I doubt he is going out for LAC.

But the Bradley-Butler backcourt makes a lot of sense. Butler is a primary ball-handler. Bradley is not. Bradley is a pesk to primary guards. Butler is a better defender against bigger guys. Bradley moves really well off the ball and Butler is a really good creator and distributor.

I also think Dieng could be a starter in a different situation. Imagine if he is finally able to deliver on his defensive promise.

Bradley-Butler-Harris-Luc-Dieng. Harris is an underrated defender against swings. Luc is a really heady defender. That team could be nasty on both sides of the court.

Then you think about Shai's versatility, Beverly's defense, Teletovic's secondary creation, Harrell's energy, Gortat's there-ness, and Williams' scoring.

That team is deep, versatile, feisty, and could push for a top 4 seed in the West.

Think LAC is his best trade destination, but I think Jerome Robinson and Beverly is going to be sent over, along with some picks headed their way if that is the case.

They need some defensive players in return; if their plan is to make the playoffs again.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

This trade makes a ton of sense for both teams. Washington gets a real upgrade and maybe gets off the treadmill. Minny gets a "young vet" with upside. I don't see them getting a better return than this.

Tho if I'm Washington I try to keep Morris. They need his toughness and versatility.

If Butler didn't like the laziness and work ethic at Timberwolves, he's going to definitely have a field day there lol.

« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
league sources say Jimmy Butler sought out Minnesota owner Glen Taylor in recent days for reassurances trade talks were proceeding in good faith.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1044599418266079233

Thibs told Taj Gibson they’ve been through a lot worse in Chicago than this Jimmy Butler saga. Taj’s reaction: Really?

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1044594979312738304

« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
league sources say Jimmy Butler sought out Minnesota owner Glen Taylor in recent days for reassurances trade talks were proceeding in good faith.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1044599418266079233

Thibs told Taj Gibson they’ve been through a lot worse in Chicago than this Jimmy Butler saga. Taj’s reaction: Really?

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1044594979312738304

I don't get Thibs... Actually I don't get the Wolves... In what universe, was giving him GM+ head coaching duties make any coherent sense given his track record?

« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If Butler didn't like the laziness and work ethic at Timberwolves, he's going to definitely have a field day there lol.

Yeah, Washington would be a gamble but Washington has to do something to try and improve. Has Butler ever played with team mates as good as Wall and Beal? I guess Rose pre-injury...

« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Morris is important to that Washington team but it might be the cost to get Butler. Morris would be a good tough front court mate next to KAT.

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477

Morris is important to that Washington team but it might be the cost to get Butler. Morris would be a good tough front court mate next to KAT.

Yeah, it would shore Minny up nicely.

And Washington could trot out a lineup with Wall, Beal, Butler, and Duh-wight. Actually would be pretty troublesome.