Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32582 times)

Health and Fitness thread
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interested to hear... Trying to get back into shape again. Also anybody use supplements? Any recommendations/brand for building muscle

After reading about the wonders of the versaclimber.  Found a used one for sale over the weekend... i couldnt last more than 5 min on it  =T
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:20:28 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
So I guess triboy isn't a triathlete.  I always wondered.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
So I guess triboy isn't a triathlete.  I always wondered.

;D

When I was younger

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Good  idea for a thread -

The last few years I took up long distance running and run between 9.5-13 miles 2-3 times per week throughout the year. I am fairly successful in half-marathons (top 5%) and marathons (top 15%), but I really just run races on occasion to give myself that extra push. Also, contrary to popular belief, being tall (I am 6'5") is a total detriment to long distance running - hence, better success in half-marathons.

Since age 18, I have worked out at the gym about 3 times per week using moderate-heavy weights (for me), but do more of a full body work out rather than having like 'shoulder day' or 'leg day'. Unfortunately for me, I don't exactly look like I can lift as much as I actually can.

Throughout my whole life, I have played a variety of sports. I have been most successful at basketball, but I currently enjoy flag football, softball, tennis, and bike riding.

The long distance running has really done a number on my explosiveness in sports and the max weight I can lift, but I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life at age 37. Playing sports is the only thing I consider 'fun', as the running/lifting is done to maintain a healthy lifestyle - it is more work than anything else.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The last few years I took up long distance running and run between 9.5-13 miles 2-3 times per week throughout the year. I am fairly successful in half-marathons (top 5%) and marathons (top 15%), but I really just run races on occasion to give myself that extra push. Also, contrary to popular belief, being tall (I am 6'5") is a total detriment to long distance running - hence, better success in half-marathons.

Since age 18, I have worked out at the gym about 3 times per week using moderate-heavy weights (for me), but do more of a full body work out rather than having like 'shoulder day' or 'leg day'. Unfortunately for me, I don't exactly look like I can lift as much as I actually can.

Throughout my whole life, I have played a variety of sports. I have been most successful at basketball, but I currently enjoy flag football, softball, tennis, and bike riding.

The long distance running has really done a number on my explosiveness in sports and the max weight I can lift, but I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life at age 37. Playing sports is the only thing I consider 'fun', as the running/lifting is done to maintain a healthy lifestyle - it is more work than anything else.

Nice...

Running is great... I just cant do it much anymore.  Knees/ankle screaming the next day

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm not a big fan of spending money to excercise, so I try and find ways to let the outdoors be my gym.

I'd reccomend making your own TRX.  All kinds of whole body workouts you can do, and it's essentially just a rope with some handles that you can hang from a tree outside.  YouTube has tons of good TRX workouts you can learn. 

I try and do some cardio, moutain biking or canoe paddling, then do my TRX an-aerobic routine.  Another good workout, find a tall set of stairs and alternate running up them, with two feet jumps up them.   College stadiums are ideal, can work your around and measure your improvement by how many rows you can jump up before puking.  ;D

Not a big fan of supplements.  But I do be sure to always eat some protein within ten minutes of a workout.  Usually keep a bag of walnuts in the car, just in case. 

And water.  Lots of it.  Rule of thumb is 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  So a 200lb dude should have 100 oz water per day, maybe 125 if you drink coffee or beer regularly.

Also it helps to have some sort of competitive goal.  I think that's where the 24hr fitness routine fails.  Too easy to give up if you aren't working towards something bigger.   

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like p90x I used it like 7 years ago to really get that beach body look they claim. Then I moved to heavier weights at the gym till I tore a tricep. I really haven't got back onto a routine since then. I wonder about today's work out routines and have recently been looking at current routines on youtube. Wonder if anyone on here has tried online monthly subscription and work out at home? Working out at home is more my thing.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Nice...

Running is great... I just cant do it much anymore.  Knees/ankle screaming the next day

I can't say much about ankle injuries (I have had a number of sprains throughout my life, but nothing debilitating long-term), but both of my knees have actually gotten much stronger. I used to do a lot of 2-3 mile runs, but when I increased the distance, my knees - especially my left knee - felt like they were about to explode. I managed to get myself through my first half-marathon, took about 6 weeks off, and then started up again and the pain was basically gone.

Obviously everybody's body reacts differently, but I am a tall guy with the typical tall-guy ailments and, honestly, many of those ailments have dissipated. My recommendation to anybody would be to not try to 'artificially' add weight. It is great to lift weights and give your body a desired definition, but I think people run into a lot of complications when they add muscle (and fat!) that their body doesn't necessarily want to have.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I like p90x I used it like 7 years ago to really get that beach body look they claim. Then I moved to heavier weights at the gym till I tore a tricep. I really haven't got back onto a routine since then. I wonder about today's work out routines and have recently been looking at current routines on youtube. Wonder if anyone on here has tried online monthly subscription and work out at home? Working out at home is more my thing.

Yoga with Adriene is a free YouTube channel that is a great at-home workout.   

Also check out a TRX.   I spoke above about it, but also easy to do at home, also free, and very low impact.   

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anybody else here own or have used a versaclimber. Trying to find some good programs for it. Hopefully I can get into condition with this and try some of your workout recommendations

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yoga is real tough... the pain the next day is.. =T

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I try to eat at least one side salad each week. 

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yoga is real tough... the pain the next day is.. =T

Agreed, I'm a life long negative at sit and reach...so I can relate.     

That said, it's easier to do at home...at your own pace. 

Adrienne is pretty mello, and always has new routines with specific focus. 

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I try to eat at least one side salad each week.

Hehehe

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Basketball 2-3x a week and yoga 2-3x a week.  Not a perfect routine but Im mainly doing it because its fun, not really the health benefits