Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32592 times)

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Interesting thread.  I am neither a workout nor nutrition focused person -- I've been pretty healthy with mild exercise (maybe 2 times a week 30 minute low-strain "workout" plus b-ball once a week).  I have always eaten anything I want and have always weighed 145 at 5'8" (probably closer to 5'7" now).

I am 58 years old and just last year I stopped basketball because of an aching hip and will be getting it replaced in a month (hope to play again!).   My concern is that all of a sudden my blood pressure is high - actually just systolic - which reads on average about 145-150 (with home testing for a few months after being alerted to the issue at dr visit).    I haven't had any doctor advice or meds related to the issue (appontment upcoming) but with the dietary expertise I am hearing here, I thought I'd ask about advice you may have to limit sodium intake and anything else you do to keep BP normal. 

I used to always read 120/80 (or thereabout) so I am definitely concerned about this.  While I don't think much about my diet, my wife almost always cooks a healthy (balanced) dinner.  Overall I probably have a high-carb / high caloric (for my size) diet and I need the calories to sustain my weight (i drop weight easily).   I dont have a clue as to how much sodium I consume, I only drink water (no soda) and about 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

Any thoughts about diet or exercise with reard to my blood pressure? As an aside - anyone here ever have a sudden rise in BP and discovered a reason for it?

Beet juice is known to lower blood pressure.  Not store bought but juicing real beets. My friend has also had luck with beet crystals (Flora brand) , adding to water since he does not want to go through the mess of cutting/juicing beets.

But honestly...check with your doctor 1st.   

The only thing I'm not a fan with doctors are prescription pills.  Unless it is a crucial drug.. there are usually natural alternatives through food/fruits/vegetables
I've been eating a ton of beets lately.  It makes it look like you are bleeding when you go to the bathroom if you eat a lot!  If I don't boil them myself and cut them up for smoothies and salads, they sell pureed beets in a big jar very cheap at a certain store around here from a Polish company.  Sometimes I mix it right in a glass of v8 with some hot sauce.

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bicycling about 3h per week spread thru 4 days.
Basketball about 5h per week spread thru 3 days.
I can travel (bike) or chase the ball (basketball) almost any time, but it is hard to motivate myself in pushing weights for no reason other than bodybuilding. Pushups, situps and such are cool to do at home, but a gym is not my cup of tea.

Praise the workout, we will live longer and healthier! Also less cranky.
(even though sometimes I am lazy to do It, I am always happy after I convience myself to get up for a workout.

I agree!

Also sleep better (fall asleep quicker, deep sleep, stay asleep!)

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Interesting thread.  I am neither a workout nor nutrition focused person -- I've been pretty healthy with mild exercise (maybe 2 times a week 30 minute low-strain "workout" plus b-ball once a week).  I have always eaten anything I want and have always weighed 145 at 5'8" (probably closer to 5'7" now).

I am 58 years old and just last year I stopped basketball because of an aching hip and will be getting it replaced in a month (hope to play again!).   My concern is that all of a sudden my blood pressure is high - actually just systolic - which reads on average about 145-150 (with home testing for a few months after being alerted to the issue at dr visit).    I haven't had any doctor advice or meds related to the issue (appontment upcoming) but with the dietary expertise I am hearing here, I thought I'd ask about advice you may have to limit sodium intake and anything else you do to keep BP normal. 

I used to always read 120/80 (or thereabout) so I am definitely concerned about this.  While I don't think much about my diet, my wife almost always cooks a healthy (balanced) dinner.  Overall I probably have a high-carb / high caloric (for my size) diet and I need the calories to sustain my weight (i drop weight easily).   I dont have a clue as to how much sodium I consume, I only drink water (no soda) and about 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

Any thoughts about diet or exercise with reard to my blood pressure? As an aside - anyone here ever have a sudden rise in BP and discovered a reason for it?

Beet juice is known to lower blood pressure.  Not store bought but juicing real beets. My friend has also had luck with beet crystals (Flora brand) , adding to water since he does not want to go through the mess of cutting/juicing beets.

But honestly...check with your doctor 1st.   

The only thing I'm not a fan with doctors are prescription pills.  Unless it is a crucial drug.. there are usually natural alternatives through food/fruits/vegetables
I've been eating a ton of beets lately.  It makes it look like you are bleeding when you go to the bathroom if you eat a lot!  If I don't boil them myself and cut them up for smoothies and salads, they sell pureed beets in a big jar very cheap at a certain store around here from a Polish company.  Sometimes I mix it right in a glass of v8 with some hot sauce.

Beet is like a wonderveggie...good stuff... I have it a few times a week...

It is high in betanine

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Minor things can get you into slight trouble with BP. For example drinking caffeinated coffee a few times a day can spike your BP by 15-20 on any given day. I once saw a patient who by cutting back to 1 cup of coffee, and by making a concerted effort to eliminate salt lowered his BP by almost 30 within 6 months. Kudos on staying in good shape so long, and I'm sure you will be back on the court in no time. TP. Also I too have heard the beets can have amazing effects. Overall their caloric content v nutrient ratio makes them a good choice for anyone looking to eat healthy.
#JKJB

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Minor things can get you into slight trouble with BP. For example drinking caffeinated coffee a few times a day can spike your BP by 15-20 on any given day. I once saw a patient who by cutting back to 1 cup of coffee, and by making a concerted effort to eliminate salt lowered his BP by almost 30 within 6 months. Kudos on staying in good shape so long, and I'm sure you will be back on the court in no time. TP. Also I too have heard the beets can have amazing effects. Overall their caloric content v nutrient ratio makes them a good choice for anyone looking to eat healthy.

How about green tea? Will it raise bp?

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm like 6ft tall, weigh about 83kg with under 6% body fat. At the level of activity that i am doing, i pretty much est anything, i love chocolate, but i tend to eat healthy.
This is also largely attributable to the fact that you're 27. I've found it a lot more difficult to "eat everything" in my 30s, and in all likelihood so will you, at whatever level of activity ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Minor things can get you into slight trouble with BP. For example drinking caffeinated coffee a few times a day can spike your BP by 15-20 on any given day. I once saw a patient who by cutting back to 1 cup of coffee, and by making a concerted effort to eliminate salt lowered his BP by almost 30 within 6 months.
My understanding is that the relationship between caffeine intake and blood pressure is somewhat individually specific. Some people can adjust to and tolerate high levels of caffeine intake without observable changes in BP, others need to monitor intake.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm going down the Keto rabbit hole on youtube now. I'm going to try it

and I'm now going down the rabbit hole of IF.  TP for sharing the insights

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm a runner.  I try and run 3-4 days a week.  Been trying to average at least a race per month the past 6 years.  I feel like if I'm registered for a race ahead of time, it motivates me to stay in shape.  I do a variety of distances but find the 10 miler to half marathon races to be my sweet spot.  I did my first marathon last fall and would love to do another one. 

Pretty much having gotten away from the weightlifting as I entered my 30s.  I live right along the Chicago lakefront path so I do a lot of biking & running out there.   I started doing runner's yoga last year as a recovery tool for marathon training.  Pretty awesome.  Mentally, its really good too.      If the weather is nasty, I'll do the elliptical.  I absolutely abhor treadmills.

I do some intramurals out here too.  Flag football & beach volleyball.  I find it really important to stay active.  Doesn't matter what you do but strong a proponent of doing something.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
That's awesome that you actually competed in MMA. That's some serious training. Super low BF (7%) for fighting but that makes sense as I'm sure you guys had to make weights etc. I'm normally pretty satisfied once I hit single digits and all my abs are showing.I'm sure my standards are lower than your judges looking at every pound lol. Have you tried intermittent fasting (IF)? It makes staying lean and building muscle pretty effortless as it compacts your "feeding times" into 8 hour windows. It's simple/stupid, which I need. I've been doing IF now for 3 years and I've been able to keep the weight off... Yeah it's all about calories in calories out (Which I'm sure you know) and your body isn't as efficient at burning as you get older, so it makes sense that age combined with less training would make the diet stuff harder. Do you know your caloric maintenance level?

Yes, I do stick it that range for the most part but I do switch up frequently to shock the body. So I'll do burnout sets where I'm up in the 30s for reps or as heavy as I can go for a couple, you know?

I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, probably around 12% at the moment but I plan on shedding down to that single digit mark these next couple weeks.

Yeah, when I was fighting I tried to stick to around that 12% BF% walking around weight, and the really lean stage was meant to be at the end of the fight training camp to make weight, along with losing water weight. There was no way I was staying in the single digits in BF%; I still had to watch my dietary intake pretty close to stay at 12%, even with all of that exercise and training lol

I'm in between a mesomorph and endomorph in body types. I can put muscle (and fat) on pretty easily, but it takes quite a bit of work for me to lose fat. You seem to be the opposite, in between an ectomorph and endomorph. I'd kill for that height and longer extremities, though. Guys of my stature can really put the muscle on and look stacked, but it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the 6'0" and above lifters.

And that's interesting you mentioned IF. My buddy who is a competitive lifter suggested that to me just two days ago, too. Is it sustainable long-term? That's more what I'm looking for right now - a sustainable dietary program that will allow me to continue to build mass while staying as lean as possible. Do you do the daily IF program (16 hours off/8 on) or do you spread it out over several days?

IF is just a lifestyle for me at this point, I don't view it as a diet but rather an approach to eating. Yes, exactly, 16 hours off/8 on. My upcoming cut to swing into single digits, calories are a little low here so I might give myself 200-300 carb "Play calories" a day so I don't lose my mind. But this is pretty baseline.

My Eating Window is from 10PM to 6AM, I work at night so that's what works best for me.

So where do you set the caloric level at, i.e. how far below you caloric maintenance level every day? Also, what's the macro breakdown? Adding that extra 200 jacks from carbs, it looks like you're at around 45% proteins, 30% carbs, 25% fats right now; is that pretty standard?

I'm thinking of combining IF with a carb cycling type of program to further promote fat loss while gradually building more muscle.

EDIT: Also, how do you time your eating and meals around workouts?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:46:24 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like to exercise 5-6x a week so it all depends on what time of year it is. I ski 50+ days a year than mix it up from there. Weight training, p90x, insanity, some Kenpo like to try to get more yoga in to become more pliable as TB12 would say ;). Also like to hike this year and do some cross fit!

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm a runner.  I try and run 3-4 days a week.  Been trying to average at least a race per month the past 6 years.  I feel like if I'm registered for a race ahead of time, it motivates me to stay in shape.  I do a variety of distances but find the 10 miler to half marathon races to be my sweet spot.  I did my first marathon last fall and would love to do another one. 

Pretty much having gotten away from the weightlifting as I entered my 30s.  I live right along the Chicago lakefront path so I do a lot of biking & running out there.  I started doing runner's yoga last year as a recovery tool for marathon training.  Pretty awesome.  Mentally, its really good too.      If the weather is nasty, I'll do the elliptical.  I absolutely abhor treadmills.

I do some intramurals out here too.  Flag football & beach volleyball.  I find it really important to stay active.  Doesn't matter what you do but strong a proponent of doing something.

Lucky
Scenic .. nice area for running/biking/walking

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I used to do the hardcore diet macros + lifting regimen from my early 20s til 30 or so. The results were impressive but the severely diminishing returns after a certain point made keeping up with diet in particular exhausting, especially coming from stocky stock like I do   After I met my wife I started indulging a little more while keeping a good base of lean proteins, fruits, and (some) vegetables. I'm not a fan of the 15 lbs I've put on since but on balance it's been worth it, beer is tasty and I've had enough canned tuna for a lifetime  ;D

Nowadays at 38 with a kid I carve out time to lift 3-4x a week. I have an old man basketball game on Saturdays and try to shoot around once a week or so. But the biggest change is that I've discovered a passion for hiking that's been very rewarding. It's weird it took me so long since I grew up in the middle of the woods, but getting out there and having a nice hard 2-3 hour stroll has been a great addition, especially since I can't do distance running (kills my hips + knees).

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I used to do the hardcore diet macros + lifting regimen from my early 20s til 30 or so. The results were impressive but the severely diminishing returns after a certain point made keeping up with diet in particular exhausting, especially coming from stocky stock like I do   After I met my wife I started indulging a little more while keeping a good base of lean proteins, fruits, and (some) vegetables. I'm not a fan of the 15 lbs I've put on since but on balance it's been worth it, beer is tasty and I've had enough canned tuna for a lifetime  ;D

Nowadays at 38 with a kid I carve out time to lift 3-4x a week. I have an old man basketball game on Saturdays and try to shoot around once a week or so. But the biggest change is that I've discovered a passion for hiking that's been very rewarding. It's weird it took me so long since I grew up in the middle of the woods, but getting out there and having a nice hard 2-3 hour stroll has been a great addition, especially since I can't do distance running (kills my hips + knees).

Nice!

Wish I could hike more... Demanding exercise/one with nature

With so little time ,  I can only workout/simulate hiking at home =T

Aging and less time availble...what a combo

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

How about green tea? Will it raise bp?

Certain studies show that it lowers bp over a long time by about 2/2 (when we are talking about someone with high BP, going from say 140/90 ---> 138/88 is statistically insignificant, or just daily fluctuation,) while other studies show that immediately after drinking green tea your BP raises a bit, just to drop back to its pre ingested levels.

Basically, its kind of similar to coffee. And as Koz pointed out above, alot of the results of coffee (and GT) on BP are significant on a case by case basis. Certain people can drink a ton of the stuff, and have no effect, while others can't have any.

Caffeine is a vasodilator, which increases blood flow, resulting in a decrease in arterial blood pressure. If you are interested in how it works on a biochemical level, reading the abstract to the following link is a decent explanation of how nitric oxide effects phosphodiesterase (https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijvm/2010/834060/.)

Basically if the stuff doesn't make your heart feel like its going to explode, it probably doesn't have an effect in the ball park of say a bottle of salt.
#JKJB