Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32579 times)

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Also reminds me of one of my buddies from high school.  He played on the soccer team and wore #15, so he made his personal email address HisName15.  Even through college, he said he was still getting messages from 13-14 year old girls thinking he was some 15 year old guy.

"Why don't you have a seat right over there?"

Lol, TP ;D.

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:35 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
That's awesome that you actually competed in MMA. That's some serious training. Super low BF (7%) for fighting but that makes sense as I'm sure you guys had to make weights etc. I'm normally pretty satisfied once I hit single digits and all my abs are showing.I'm sure my standards are lower than your judges looking at every pound lol. Have you tried intermittent fasting (IF)? It makes staying lean and building muscle pretty effortless as it compacts your "feeding times" into 8 hour windows. It's simple/stupid, which I need. I've been doing IF now for 3 years and I've been able to keep the weight off... Yeah it's all about calories in calories out (Which I'm sure you know) and your body isn't as efficient at burning as you get older, so it makes sense that age combined with less training would make the diet stuff harder. Do you know your caloric maintenance level?

Yes, I do stick it that range for the most part but I do switch up frequently to shock the body. So I'll do burnout sets where I'm up in the 30s for reps or as heavy as I can go for a couple, you know?

I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, probably around 12% at the moment but I plan on shedding down to that single digit mark these next couple weeks.

Yeah, when I was fighting I tried to stick to around that 12% BF% walking around weight, and the really lean stage was meant to be at the end of the fight training camp to make weight, along with losing water weight. There was no way I was staying in the single digits in BF%; I still had to watch my dietary intake pretty close to stay at 12%, even with all of that exercise and training lol

I'm in between a mesomorph and endomorph in body types. I can put muscle (and fat) on pretty easily, but it takes quite a bit of work for me to lose fat. You seem to be the opposite, in between an ectomorph and endomorph. I'd kill for that height and longer extremities, though. Guys of my stature can really put the muscle on and look stacked, but it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the 6'0" and above lifters.

And that's interesting you mentioned IF. My buddy who is a competitive lifter suggested that to me just two days ago, too. Is it sustainable long-term? That's more what I'm looking for right now - a sustainable dietary program that will allow me to continue to build mass while staying as lean as possible. Do you do the daily IF program (16 hours off/8 on) or do you spread it out over several days?

IF is just a lifestyle for me at this point, I don't view it as a diet but rather an approach to eating. Yes, exactly, 16 hours off/8 on. My upcoming cut to swing into single digits, calories are a little low here so I might give myself 200-300 carb "Play calories" a day so I don't lose my mind. But this is pretty baseline.

My Eating Window is from 10PM to 6AM, I work at night so that's what works best for me.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 01:41:41 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Apologies for ever disagreeing with you, JSD.

Haha. That's funny. I'm a sheepdog though, so I'm on your side. Plus, this place wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed all the time.

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 01:42:17 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I'm 27, all my life i have been doing sports almost every day. I have a collage degree in sports and phyiscal education.
I never liked lifting weights and nutrition suplements, I only do a lot of basketball and bodyweight excercises, which i would recomend to everyone.
Push ups, runing,cycling,biking, pull ups, sit ups etc
For the last couple of months i have been runing a lot, like 180km in 50-60 days or so, just ad a challange.
Yeaterday i have done like 2 miles under 11 min.
My wprkuout routine is like based on a weekly basis, every week i try to do 2 sets of each of the following: 300 push up routine(different push ups), 500 sit ups, 100 pull ups, combined with running and basketball
I'm like 6ft tall, weigh about 83kg with under 6% body fat. At the level of activity that i am doing, i pretty much est anything, i love chocolate, but i tend to eat healthy.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 01:43:46 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Ketogenic diet is really effective. It's not easy but it's extremely powerful to dominate your blood sugar levels.

Your thinking becomes much clearer. Mood too. It's a challenge to get enough healthy fats in your diet.

I've heard some really good things about Keto but have never tried it. Thought about Keto/IF.

What kind of Macro-nutrient breakdown do you have to employ for Keto? 70% Fat, 20% Protein, 10% Carb, or something like that, right?

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:55 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

:o

That's impressive.

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 03:04:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Haha. That's funny. I'm a sheepdog though, so I'm on your side. Plus, this place wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed all the time.

65 % Fat. 5% Carbs  30% protein

You can actually spike your blood sugar with too much protein. I found that fasanating.

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Ketogenic diet is really effective. It's not easy but it's extremely powerful to dominate your blood sugar levels.

Your thinking becomes much clearer. Mood too. It's a challenge to get enough healthy fats in your diet.

I've heard some really good things about Keto but have never tried it. Thought about Keto/IF.

What kind of Macro-nutrient breakdown do you have to employ for Keto? 70% Fat, 20% Protein, 10% Carb, or something like that, right?

Miss quoted last time.

What's really interesting is when your actually in Ketosis. Sometimes your not hungry for long periods of time.

Overcoming the ups and downs of blood sugar is something everyone could try.

It can reverse diabetes as well. Seen in first hand. It works.

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17:31 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I'm going down the Keto rabbit hole on youtube now. I'm going to try it

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

65 % Fat. 5% Carbs  30% protein

You can actually spike your blood sugar with too much protein. I found that fasanating.

Keto diet works...but people need to make sure with their doctors they are not diabetic in any way. 

50 min of easy cardio on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning will get one in keto mode quick. 

Or only eating fat/protein in the morning and no carbs until  1-2 pm

I rather do the cardio

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

That's impressive.
Pretty freaking fast!  I'm about to head out for a 13 mile run but at a much, much slower pace.  Like 8:30 miles or so.

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Interesting thread.  I am neither a workout nor nutrition focused person -- I've been pretty healthy with mild exercise (maybe 2 times a week 30 minute low-strain "workout" plus b-ball once a week).  I have always eaten anything I want and have always weighed 145 at 5'8" (probably closer to 5'7" now).

I am 58 years old and just last year I stopped basketball because of an aching hip and will be getting it replaced in a month (hope to play again!).   My concern is that all of a sudden my blood pressure is high - actually just systolic - which reads on average about 145-150 (with home testing for a few months after being alerted to the issue at dr visit).    I haven't had any doctor advice or meds related to the issue (appontment upcoming) but with the dietary expertise I am hearing here, I thought I'd ask about advice you may have to limit sodium intake and anything else you do to keep BP normal. 

I used to always read 120/80 (or thereabout) so I am definitely concerned about this.  While I don't think much about my diet, my wife almost always cooks a healthy (balanced) dinner.  Overall I probably have a high-carb / high caloric (for my size) diet and I need the calories to sustain my weight (i drop weight easily).   I dont have a clue as to how much sodium I consume, I only drink water (no soda) and about 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

Any thoughts about diet or exercise with reard to my blood pressure? As an aside - anyone here ever have a sudden rise in BP and discovered a reason for it?

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interesting thread.  I am neither a workout nor nutrition focused person -- I've been pretty healthy with mild exercise (maybe 2 times a week 30 minute low-strain "workout" plus b-ball once a week).  I have always eaten anything I want and have always weighed 145 at 5'8" (probably closer to 5'7" now).

I am 58 years old and just last year I stopped basketball because of an aching hip and will be getting it replaced in a month (hope to play again!).   My concern is that all of a sudden my blood pressure is high - actually just systolic - which reads on average about 145-150 (with home testing for a few months after being alerted to the issue at dr visit).    I haven't had any doctor advice or meds related to the issue (appontment upcoming) but with the dietary expertise I am hearing here, I thought I'd ask about advice you may have to limit sodium intake and anything else you do to keep BP normal. 

I used to always read 120/80 (or thereabout) so I am definitely concerned about this.  While I don't think much about my diet, my wife almost always cooks a healthy (balanced) dinner.  Overall I probably have a high-carb / high caloric (for my size) diet and I need the calories to sustain my weight (i drop weight easily).   I dont have a clue as to how much sodium I consume, I only drink water (no soda) and about 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

Any thoughts about diet or exercise with reard to my blood pressure? As an aside - anyone here ever have a sudden rise in BP and discovered a reason for it?

Beet juice is known to lower blood pressure.  Not store bought but juicing real beets. My friend has also had luck with beet crystals (Flora brand) , adding to water since he does not want to go through the mess of cutting/juicing beets.

But honestly...check with your doctor 1st.   

The only thing I'm not a fan with doctors are prescription pills.  Unless it is a crucial drug.. there are usually natural alternatives through food/fruits/vegetables

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bicycling about 3h per week spread thru 4 days.
Basketball about 5h per week spread thru 3 days.
I can travel (bike) or chase the ball (basketball) almost any time, but it is hard to motivate myself in pushing weights for no reason other than bodybuilding. Pushups, situps and such are cool to do at home, but a gym is not my cup of tea.

Praise the workout, we will live longer and healthier! Also less cranky.
(even though sometimes I am lazy to do It, I am always happy after I convience myself to get up for a workout.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That's impressive.
Pretty freaking fast!  I'm about to head out for a 13 mile run but at a much, much slower pace.  Like 8:30 miles or so.

8.30/mi is considered a very good pace for half marathon distance (1:51) - you should be happy with that. I went from a 2:08 (9.46/mi) half-marathon to 1:37 (7.25/mi) over the course of a couple of years. I am probably not doing much better than that without a huge change in workout routine and diet, but I am happy and what I do is sustainable. My regular pace around town is probably in the 7.50-8.0/mi.

As far as under 11min for 2 miles, that is crazy and awesome.

One thing that is interesting about this thread so far is just how many ways there are to be active and stay in shape.