Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32582 times)

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I've let myself go in the last several years more than I should have, especially with as fit as I actually was in my competitive fighting days, but I've been gradually getting back a bit in the last several months since everything has kind of died down for me a bit.

I've found a lot of success (losing 50+ lbs) in the last six months or so just by general portion control, carb cycling, regular bodybuilding-style workouts, and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

I'd definitely recommend the carb cycling eating program and HIIT, especially if you can't do long forms of cardio. HIIT is essentially short bursts of intense cardio followed by short periods of rest. Essentially, it's like doing a set amount of wind-sprints followed by timed rests. So something like 5 100 yard sprints with 1 minute of rest in between. You can even do it on stationary bikes with resistance, which is what I do.

It's pretty rough starting off, but it's empirically proven to be one of the best workouts to jump-start and increase the metabolism for days.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
HIIT is basically basketball. OP, start playing basketball more and run a caloric deficit while eating at least a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh minus 25 grams.

That's the simple response, but that is literally all you have to do.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:09:29 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
This is what I do, and I made everything "Youtubeable" for form etc. Having proper form is crucial... This a pretty conventional bodybuilding style weight training. I combine this with basketball and/or running 2 miles. I look and feel great:

Day 1 – Chest
Incline Bench
Incline Cable Fly
Machine (Superset)
Pushups (25 x4)
Dips
AB - Leg Lift/Crunch (20X4)

Day 2 – Back
Pull-ups
Seated Rows
Wide Grip Pull down 
Straight Leg Deadlift
Shrugs
AB – Sides 

Day 3 – Legs
Leg Press
Squats
Leg Extensions (Superset)
Hamstring Exercise Machine
Calf Raises

Day 4 – Shoulders
Seated Military Press
Smith Front Press
Side Lateral Raises (Superset)
Reverse Pec Deck
Rope Face Pull 

Day 5 – Arms
30/60 Bicep Blaster
DB Bicep Curls 
Rope Hammer Curls (Superset)
Rope Pushdowns (Superset)
Overhead Rope
Overhead Lateral Extensions
AB – Obliques (DB Sides)

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Diet is far more important than all this other stuff. IF you eat like crap, I don't care how you train.

Anyway, this is passion of mine so I'll hang around this thread to help anyone that wants guidance in this area. Also, feel free to PM me.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Anybody else here own or have used a versaclimber. Trying to find some good programs for it. Hopefully I can get into condition with this and try some of your workout recommendations

Are we posting pictures of ourselves now?

JSD certainly proving his intense workout regimen, but you look different than I thought you would triboy  ;D

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
This is what I do, and I made everything "Youtubeable" for form etc. Having proper form is crucial... This a pretty conventional bodybuilding style weight training. I combine this with basketball and/or running 2 miles. I look and feel great:

Day 1 – Chest
Incline Bench
Incline Cable Fly
Machine (Superset)
Pushups (25 x4)
Dips

Day 2 – Back
Pull-ups
Seated Rows
Wide Grip Pull down 
Straight Leg Deadlift
Shrugs
AB – Sides 

Day 3 – Legs
Leg Press
Squats
Leg Extensions (Superset)
Hamstring Exercise Machine
Calf Raises

Day 4 – Shoulders
Seated Military Press
Smith Front Press
Side Lateral Raises (Superset)
Reverse Pec Deck
Rope Face Pull 

Day 5 – Arms
30/60 Bicep Blaster
DB Bicep Curls 
Rope Hammer Curls (Superset)
Rope Pushdowns (Superset)
Overhead Rope
Overhead Lateral Extensions
AB – Obliques (DB Sides)

Nice! I think at my absolute best in my fighting days I fought at 185 in my last bout and was at 7% BF at 5'9" (including some water weight loss). Of course, that was back when I was lifting 5 days a week and doing ju jitsu and muay thai 4 days a week, so it was easy to keep weight off with that much activity. I've found that I have to be MUCH more strict in my dietary habits than before when I was burning so many calories working out and fighting.

Do you essentially stick to the hypertrophy range for the most part, i.e. 6-12 reps, short breaks, etc.? I've always gravitated toward that type of workout over more strength-oriented workouts.

How tall are you?

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
That's awesome that you actually competed in MMA. That's some serious training. Super low BF (7%) for fighting but that makes sense as I'm sure you guys had to make weights etc. I'm normally pretty satisfied once I hit single digits and all my abs are showing.I'm sure my standards are lower than your judges looking at every pound lol. Have you tried intermittent fasting (IF)? It makes staying lean and building muscle pretty effortless as it compacts your "feeding times" into 8 hour windows. It's simple/stupid, which I need. I've been doing IF now for 3 years and I've been able to keep the weight off... Yeah it's all about calories in calories out (Which I'm sure you know) and your body isn't as efficient at burning as you get older, so it makes sense that age combined with less training would make the diet stuff harder. Do you know your caloric maintenance level?

Yes, I do stick it that range for the most part but I do switch up frequently to shock the body. So I'll do burnout sets where I'm up in the 30s for reps or as heavy as I can go for a couple, you know?

I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, probably around 12% at the moment but I plan on shedding down to that single digit mark these next couple weeks.

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Anybody else here own or have used a versaclimber. Trying to find some good programs for it. Hopefully I can get into condition with this and try some of your workout recommendations

Are we posting pictures of ourselves now?

JSD certainly proving his intense workout regimen, but you look different than I thought you would triboy  ;D

I don't know, that 16f at the end of his/her name always confused me as to what he/she's trying to tell us there.  Reminds me of my junior high days in AOL chat rooms.

Also reminds me of one of my buddies from high school.  He played on the soccer team and wore #15, so he made his personal email address HisName15.  Even through college, he said he was still getting messages from 13-14 year old girls thinking he was some 15 year old guy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Also reminds me of one of my buddies from high school.  He played on the soccer team and wore #15, so he made his personal email address HisName15.  Even through college, he said he was still getting messages from 13-14 year old girls thinking he was some 15 year old guy.

"Why don't you have a seat right over there?"

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I've let myself go in the last several years more than I should have, especially with as fit as I actually was in my competitive fighting days, but I've been gradually getting back a bit in the last several months since everything has kind of died down for me a bit.

I've found a lot of success (losing 50+ lbs) in the last six months or so just by general portion control, carb cycling, regular bodybuilding-style workouts, and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

I'd definitely recommend the carb cycling eating program and HIIT, especially if you can't do long forms of cardio. HIIT is essentially short bursts of intense cardio followed by short periods of rest. Essentially, it's like doing a set amount of wind-sprints followed by timed rests. So something like 5 100 yard sprints with 1 minute of rest in between. You can even do it on stationary bikes with resistance, which is what I do.

It's pretty rough starting off, but it's empirically proven to be one of the best workouts to jump-start and increase the metabolism for days.

I tried Insanity for 2-3 months a couple of years back, but if you want to fire up your metabolism, allow me to make a simple suggestion - before you eat or drink anything when you wake up, have two cups of chilled water.  Set aside a large enough water bottle in the fridge overnight or whatever, make sure that it's the first thing that enters your stomach in the morning, and let your body do the work for you, lol ;D. That's it.  Honestly, it does much more for me than Insanity ever did, haha, but on the other hand, everyone's different.  Still, give it a try.  You just have to do it every day :).

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
That's awesome that you actually competed in MMA. That's some serious training. Super low BF (7%) for fighting but that makes sense as I'm sure you guys had to make weights etc. I'm normally pretty satisfied once I hit single digits and all my abs are showing.I'm sure my standards are lower than your judges looking at every pound lol. Have you tried intermittent fasting (IF)? It makes staying lean and building muscle pretty effortless as it compacts your "feeding times" into 8 hour windows. It's simple/stupid, which I need. I've been doing IF now for 3 years and I've been able to keep the weight off... Yeah it's all about calories in calories out (Which I'm sure you know) and your body isn't as efficient at burning as you get older, so it makes sense that age combined with less training would make the diet stuff harder. Do you know your caloric maintenance level?

Yes, I do stick it that range for the most part but I do switch up frequently to shock the body. So I'll do burnout sets where I'm up in the 30s for reps or as heavy as I can go for a couple, you know?

I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, probably around 12% at the moment but I plan on shedding down to that single digit mark these next couple weeks.

Yeah, when I was fighting I tried to stick to around that 12% BF% walking around weight, and the really lean stage was meant to be at the end of the fight training camp to make weight, along with losing water weight. There was no way I was staying in the single digits in BF%; I still had to watch my dietary intake pretty close to stay at 12%, even with all of that exercise and training lol

I'm in between a mesomorph and endomorph in body types. I can put muscle (and fat) on pretty easily, but it takes quite a bit of work for me to lose fat. You seem to be the opposite, in between an ectomorph and endomorph. I'd kill for that height and longer extremities, though. Guys of my stature can really put the muscle on and look stacked, but it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the 6'0" and above lifters.

And that's interesting you mentioned IF. My buddy who is a competitive lifter suggested that to me just two days ago, too. Is it sustainable long-term? That's more what I'm looking for right now - a sustainable dietary program that will allow me to continue to build mass while staying as lean as possible. Do you do the daily IF program (16 hours off/8 on) or do you spread it out over several days?

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Apologies for ever disagreeing with you, JSD.  And jpotter, while we've had different opinions about Smart and IT over the years, I'll point out that I never argued them with you...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 11:52:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Ketogenic diet is really effective. It's not easy but it's extremely powerful to dominate your blood sugar levels.

Your thinking becomes much clearer. Mood too. It's a challenge to get enough healthy fats in your diet.

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:14 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Interested to hear... Trying to get back into shape again. Also anybody use supplements? Any recommendations/brand for building muscle

After reading about the wonders of the versaclimber.  Found a used one for sale over the weekend... i couldnt last more than 5 min on it  =T

What are your goals? That's important to know, because that's the best way to develop your training regimen. Lots of good info in this thread so far. I'm a little past my prime, but still train pretty hard six days a week. I'd be happy to pass along some tips I've picked up, but like I said, it depends on what you're trying to do.

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 12:15:49 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

Ketogenic diet is really effective. It's not easy but it's extremely powerful to dominate your blood sugar levels.

Your thinking becomes much clearer. Mood too. It's a challenge to get enough healthy fats in your diet.

Glad you brought that up. Before I knew what a ketogenic diet was, I was already using a diet that had some similarities to the keto diet, but not all the way there. My understanding of a strict keto diet is that it is very effective, but you have to really commit to it, which can be challenging. My biggest question with a keto diet is if there's a way to transition back to a more "user-friendly" diet once you've reached your goal weight/look, or if you're more or less stuck in that regimen. What has been your experience with that?