Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32590 times)

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Yoga with Adriene is a free YouTube channel that is a great at-home workout.   
My wife does a lot of Yoga With Adriene and when our schedules match up I like to do them with her. There is a great variety on that channel and she's just a nice presence.

For myself, I run a few times a week, play basketball once in a while, drink too much and just had some ice cream for lunch. So if you can picture that...
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yoga with Adriene is a free YouTube channel that is a great at-home workout.   
My wife does a lot of Yoga With Adriene and when our schedules match up I like to do them with her. There is a great variety on that channel and she's just a nice presence.

For myself, I run a few times a week, play basketball once in a while, drink too much and just had some ice cream for lunch. So if you can picture that...

Yes I can... running to the store to grab some beers... 8)

Ice cream for lunch...  Sounds tasty

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Early last year my wife started doing various Jillian Michaels workouts, and I soon joined the party. Been doing them for about a year now, and I'm really happy with the improvements in my conditioning, flexibility, and muscle tone.

One of the great things about her workouts is that she has various levels, so you can start at a place that works for you and then work your way up toward more difficult routines.

I used to run 2-4 times a week but have mostly given up running on the recommendation of my chiropractor, as I have back issues and running exacerbates them.

I also used to go to Planet Fitness to lift weights, but I've gotten away from that, primarily because it's much easier to do Jillian workouts at home. :laugh:
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Early last year my wife started doing various Jillian Michaels workouts, and I soon joined the party. Been doing them for about a year now, and I'm really happy with the improvements in my conditioning, flexibility, and muscle tone.

One of the great things about her workouts is that she has various levels, so you can start at a place that works for you and then work your way up toward more difficult routines.

I used to run 2-4 times a week but have mostly given up running on the recommendation of my chiropractor, as I have back issues and running exacerbates them.

I also used to go to Planet Fitness to lift weights, but I've gotten away from that, primarily because it's much easier to do Jillian workouts at home. :laugh:

I've always wanted to try a Jillian Michaels workout  :laugh:, but you can't beat the $10/mo at Planet Fitness. I also recently joined LA Fitness and other than the basketball court at LA, I enjoy the laid back atmosphere at PF a lot more. It is less of a production and you can basically get everything you need (no free weight bench press) without all of the dudes staring you down because you aren't as huge as they are.

Unfortunately, I really only enjoy playing basketball when the court is empty as the crowd at LA generally dribbles the ball between their legs too much and half-court 3s are their shot of choice.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life at age 37.

Keep it up as best you can! 37 was probably the pinnacle of my fitness.

I'm turning 44 pretty soon, and I noticed a pretty big change in my body when I turned 40. Age has been a factor, and also kids. They are exhausting. There's just simply not enough time in the day for regular workouts anymore. Or at least, on any given day there might be, but then "stuff" happens. Like the kid gets sick and the babysitter can't come and the wife is on a work trip, etc etc etc.

So, what do I do:
(1) Try to take the stairs once a day (I work on the 7th floor of an office building).
(2) Try to eat lots of protein and not much bready stuff.
(3) Try to run a couple times a week.
(4) Try to do sit ups and push ups before bed.
(5) Try to be active with my kids (basketball, long walks, taking them to the park/playground, soccer, etc).

I fail at most of that except (5). I probably drink too much beer and coffee and have too many cookies. My aspiration is to run a lot more regularly than i do. It gives me great peace of mind.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Right now, I take summer classes at the college I go to in Boston (and since I live nearby, I commute at least for this summer to save some extra $$$ too).

My classes are from Monday-Thursday, and after work I usually go to the gym and spend about 75-90 minutes there. But obviously some days I'm a lot more busier than others and I have work too, so usually I go 3 days a week.

At the gym, I usually spend about 45 minutes doing cardio exercises, like some time running on a treadmill, some time on an elliptical, some times running around the indoor track they have there too (And I mean RUN, not a casual jog), and running around it 11 times equals a mile, so I try to do 22.

The other 30-45, I do a lot of stuff in the weight room, including lifts, pull ups, crunches, Pec-Deck machine, chest presses. However, there honestly isn't a lot of these kinds of equipment actually, so sometimes I'm not able to do every one of these things since the machines are taken by others, so I'm never really consistent on each of these things unfortunately.

But when I'm at home Fridays-Sunday, I live near a beach which spans about 3-4 miles, so sometimes I run about 3 miles across the beach (AND 3 MILES BACK), and I love doing it in the morning (not too early, but around 8 at the earliest, usually 9) because I also get a view of the Boston skyline and it's a beautiful sight especially around sunrise or just a little after it. Lots of other runners/joggers as well, mostly those who also live near the beach. It's not super crowded either compared to the evening when EVERYONE comes to the beach and it gets real crowded.

I have an elliptical in my apartment too, and weights, so I spend about 20-25 minutes on the elliptical and about 15-20 minutes using weights, depending on how much time I have because I don't plan on "wasting" my free weekend days just exercising and do other stuff too :P

I'll admit though, unlike most people who say they go on strict diets and don't eat junk food for months, I'm not that kind of guy...  :laugh:

I usually try to limit the junk food in my life too, but it's hard at times, especially being a college student. I sometimes "treat" myself to a Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee, or have a nice lunch or dinner with friends either at college or in my hometown, but it's not like I do it daily. Maybe 2-3 times a week. 

But I've lived a very healthy life, and never missed a day of school in middle and high school due to sickness or anything  ;D

Now the irony, as I type this, I'm having Cookies and Cream Ice Cream..  :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
two fisted beer

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life at age 37.

Keep it up as best you can! 37 was probably the pinnacle of my fitness.

I'm turning 44 pretty soon, and I noticed a pretty big change in my body when I turned 40. Age has been a factor, and also kids. They are exhausting. There's just simply not enough time in the day for regular workouts anymore. Or at least, on any given day there might be, but then "stuff" happens. Like the kid gets sick and the babysitter can't come and the wife is on a work trip, etc etc etc.

So, what do I do:
(1) Try to take the stairs once a day (I work on the 7th floor of an office building).
(2) Try to eat lots of protein and not much bready stuff.
(3) Try to run a couple times a week.
(4) Try to do sit ups and push ups before bed.
(5) Try to be active with my kids (basketball, long walks, taking them to the park/playground, soccer, etc).

I fail at most of that except (5). I probably drink too much beer and coffee and have too many cookies. My aspiration is to run a lot more regularly than i do. It gives me great peace of mind.

It's great that you are still making a solid effort! Staying active with the kids at least makes it an enjoyable experience. Sounds like you have figured out some realistic goals to live by (it is really difficult to live a healthy lifestyle 24/7) and will find more time to run, if that's what you want to do.

My diet isn't wonderful and I also love beer, but I try to maintain some discipline (no red meat, very limited fried foods, only two brownies a day  ;) ). Honestly, though, the running has just made my metabolism go to the levels of a teenage boy. I realize that will not last forever and, as you mentioned - life sometimes gets in the way - but I'm just riding the wave and trying to stay as active as I feel reasonable.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
But I've lived a very healthy life, and never missed a day of school in middle and high school due to sickness or anything  ;D

Now the irony, as I type this, I'm having Cookies and Cream Ice Cream..  :laugh: :laugh:

Awesome! I was also part of the middle school/high school perfect attendance club. I even received an reward award (although I did get $20/yr) at my high school graduation.

It sounds like you are a very busy guy, but great that you still make time to run/work out. Starting young and doing it consistently will help you develop solid habits as you start to get older. Just remember, it is a lot more difficult to get back in shape than it is to maintain your current shape.

Enjoy the ice cream and other delicious foods, though - you've earned it.  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:49:26 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Right now, I take summer classes at the college I go to in Boston (and since I live nearby, I commute at least for this summer to save some extra $$$ too).

My classes are from Monday-Thursday, and after work I usually go to the gym and spend about 75-90 minutes there. But obviously some days I'm a lot more busier than others and I have work too, so usually I go 3 days a week.

At the gym, I usually spend about 45 minutes doing cardio exercises, like some time running on a treadmill, some time on an elliptical, some times running around the indoor track they have there too (And I mean RUN, not a casual jog), and running around it 11 times equals a mile, so I try to do 22.

The other 30-45,
I do a lot of stuff in the weight room, including lifts, pull ups, crunches, Pec-Deck machine, chest presses. However, there honestly isn't a lot of these kinds of equipment actually, so sometimes I'm not able to do every one of these things since the machines are taken by others, so I'm never really consistent on each of these things unfortunately.

I wish i had that much time to workout in a day! Lucky

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Awesome! I was also part of the middle school/high school perfect attendance club. I even received a reward at my high school graduation.

It sounds like you are a very busy guy, but great that you still make time to run/work out. Starting young and doing it consistently will help you develop solid habits as you start to get older. Just remember, it is a lot more difficult to get back in shape than it is to maintain your current shape.

Enjoy the ice cream and other delicious foods, though - you've earned it.  :D

Thanks for the advice man! Yeah that's also what I hear from my parents too haha.

And I also got an award for that in both middle school and high school, but middle school I was just given it by my homeroom teacher that year (and there were 3 others in my class who got it). High school I got it in graduation though like you  :D

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The other 30-45,
I do a lot of stuff in the weight room, including lifts, pull ups, crunches, Pec-Deck machine, chest presses. However, there honestly isn't a lot of these kinds of equipment actually, so sometimes I'm not able to do every one of these things since the machines are taken by others, so I'm never really consistent on each of these things unfortunately.

I wish i had that much time to workout in a day! Lucky

Yeah it can be difficult though, but it's a bit easier in the summer because I'm only taking 2 summer classes, and besides work I'm pretty much free all day (no daunting homework or assignments really in my two classes). During the actual school year though yeah it's REAL tough lol.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

I've always wanted to try a Jillian Michaels workout  :laugh:, but you can't beat the $10/mo at Planet Fitness. I also recently joined LA Fitness and other than the basketball court at LA, I enjoy the laid back atmosphere at PF a lot more. It is less of a production and you can basically get everything you need (no free weight bench press) without all of the dudes staring you down because you aren't as huge as they are.

Unfortunately, I really only enjoy playing basketball when the court is empty as the crowd at LA generally dribbles the ball between their legs too much and half-court 3s are their shot of choice.

Jillian kicks my butt. It's a great workout.

I've enjoyed PF—the $10/month price and the more relaxed atmosphere. I've never been to LA Fitness, but I'm totally familiar with the crowd you're describing, and I dislike being around those people. ("What do you mean, 'Those people'?" ;D )

I used to play a lot of basketball, but for various reasons no longer do, and I miss it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Interested to hear... Trying to get back into shape again. Also anybody use supplements? Any recommendations/brand for building muscle

After reading about the wonders of the versaclimber.  Found a used one for sale over the weekend... i couldnt last more than 5 min on it  =T

What are your stats? Height, weight and age?
The only color that matters is GREEN