Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417607 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #615 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Spoilers in white below.  Highlight over to read

A certain someone, Kit Harrington a/k/a Jon Snow, was seen on set filming and gave an interview where he confirmed he is under contract for a couple of more years.  Most people take this as confirmation Jon Snow lives and/or will be resurrected.  Of course it could just be flashback sequences or finishing up the death scene.  Who knows. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #616 on: September 17, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It doesn't kind of seem like Jon Snow might come back, or somehow not be dead. I've talked with a lot of  friends and it seems like a common idea. But, maybe thats just what I want to happen. Non of the other Starks came back and it looks like the Hound is back, would they really bring back 2 people from the dead so close together?
There is no chance he doesn't come back to life.  He's 100% coming back.

In the books Momma Stark makes kind of a creepy return too.  Wonder if that'll happen this year.
Yup

« Reply #618 on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

In the books Momma Stark makes kind of a creepy return too.  Wonder if that'll happen this year.

I`m pretty sure i`ve read/heard the producers say that they won`t follow Katlyn`s story

« Reply #619 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I`m pretty sure i`ve read/heard the producers say that they won`t follow Katlyn`s story
The point at which she came back in the books and how she effected the story has passed. They could reintroduce her later in the story but I think they just ignore "lady stoneheart"
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #620 on: September 17, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they could care less what fans of the book think.   They have had spoilers, killed people not dead in the books like Barristan.

« Reply #621 on: September 17, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The point at which she came back in the books and how she effected the story has passed. They could reintroduce her later in the story but I think they just ignore "lady stoneheart"

There's speculation that Sansa is going to take on a lot of Lady Stoneheart's plot (minus the death and resurrection bit).  That would make some sense story-wise, and would help explain the reason for some of the controversial changes to her plot (like having her raped and abused by Ramsay).  I'd be cool with seeing her cleaning house on some Freys and Boltons, since she really hasn't done much but have a series of awful things happen to her so far.

« Reply #622 on: September 17, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think they could care less what fans of the book think.   They have had spoilers, killed people not dead in the books like Barristan.

I'm ok with that.

Though I did like the story line developing of Caitlyn coming back from the dead and joining an underground rebellion group.
Yup

« Reply #623 on: September 17, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Though I did like the story line developing of Caitlyn coming back from the dead and joining an underground rebellion group.

Lots of readers see her as a villian not a hero, though.   She is very vengeful and does not show mercy even to the deserving.

« Reply #624 on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

There's speculation that Sansa is going to take on a lot of Lady Stoneheart's plot (minus the death and resurrection bit).  That would make some sense story-wise, and would help explain the reason for some of the controversial changes to her plot (like having her raped and abused by Ramsay).  I'd be cool with seeing her cleaning house on some Freys and Boltons, since she really hasn't done much but have a series of awful things happen to her so far.

I think I'll be disappointed if they decide the way to redeem / grow Sansa's character is to have her turn into a vindictive bad-ass. 

We've seen that she's not a conniving court mistress like Cersei or Margaery.  She's not cunning.  But she's also not bloodthirsty.  I want her character to have agency, but I don't think the only way to make a female character strong is to have her become a killer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #625 on: September 17, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think I'll be disappointed if they decide the way to redeem / grow Sansa's character is to have her turn into a vindictive bad-ass. 

We've seen that she's not a conniving court mistress like Cersei or Margaery.  She's not cunning.  But she's also not bloodthirsty.  I want her character to have agency, but I don't think the only way to make a female character strong is to have her become a killer.
Agreed, I'd rather see her unite the North from the shadows so the Boltons can't find her.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #626 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It would also be entirely redundant at this point in the story.

Re: J. Snow's "death:" I think a lot of people get mixed up when they fixate on Martin's apparent need to kill off 'important characters', when in actuality they're relatively minor characters in the grand scheme of the story --they were just portrayed as important through the way he played with the tropes of the genre when ASOFAI was getting underway. Vast difference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #627 on: September 17, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It would also be entirely redundant at this point in the story.

Re: J. Snow's "death:" I think a lot of people get mixed up when they fixate on Martin's apparent need to kill off 'important characters', when in actuality they're relatively minor characters in the grand scheme of the story --they were just portrayed as important through the way he played with the tropes of the genre when ASOFAI was getting underway. Vast difference.
Yep.  There are 5 main characters.  Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, and Arya.  Entirely possible that some others not thought as main, may ultimately end up that way (Bran, Jamie, and Cersei are the 3 that spring to mind), but after reading the books and watching the show, this is really a story about those 5 people (and that doesn't mean all 5 live to see the end, but all 5 will be there to close to the end). 

« Reply #628 on: September 17, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bran is generally considered a main character in place of Sansa, though that's partly colored by Martin's statements that Bran was THE main character when he was first devising the series.  Take that for whatever it's worth because he sure hasn't had much to do lately.

What's interesting about that is that in the books there've been some indications that she is becoming that cunning political actor - she starts playing the Lords of the Vale to help Littlefinger keep his position there, gets engaged to the next in line to inherit the Vale, etc.  The show seemed to be moving in that direction 2 seasons ago, but then took the abrupt left turn where she gets abandoned and abused in Winterfell again.

I disagree that making a female character strong via vengeance implies that that's the only way to do it, especially when you're naming alternate examples in the same paragraph. But I think we agree that Sansa's character is pretty much a mess at this point and whatever ultimate arc they're planning for her hasn't been set up very well over the last few years.  Unless of course that arc is "you're young and naive, then awful people are awful to you, then you die" in which case they're all over it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:40:45 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #629 on: September 17, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bran is generally considered a main character in place of Sansa, though that's partly colored by Martin's statements that Bran was THE main character when he was first devising the series.  Take that for whatever it's worth because he sure hasn't had much to do lately.

What's interesting about that is that in the books there've been some indications that she is becoming that cunning political actor - she starts playing the Lords of the Vale to help Littlefinger keep his position there, gets engaged to the next in line to inherit the Vale, etc.  The show seemed to be moving in that direction 2 seasons ago, but then took the abrupt left turn where she gets abandoned and abused in Winterfell again.

I disagree that making a female character strong via vengeance implies that that's the only way to do it, especially when you're naming alternate examples in the same paragraph. But I think we agree that Sansa's character is pretty much a mess at this point and whatever ultimate arc they're planning for her hasn't been set up very well over the last few years.  Unless of course that arc is "you're young and naive, then awful people are awful to you, then you die" in which case they're all over it.
Bran seems pretty darn important to the white walker line, but when he merged with that tree at the end of book 5, it just got weird and I have no idea just how important he will ultimately become.  If he becomes the leader of the first men, then yeah, hugely important, if not, not so much.

Sansa is pretty consistent throughout the books and she seems to be the character of most importance in the Vale (in the books) or at Winterfell (in the show).  She also was pretty darn pivotal in the capital when she was there (whether it was accidentally getting her father killed, unwittingly getting Joffry killed, being a catalyst for Tyrion, etc.).