Author Topic: Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA  (Read 2677 times)

Re: Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 08:00:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25626
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
yeah. good thing their billions are safe. i was really worried there for a second.

To me it's more about the integrity of the game.  If a player is going to take himself out of games to help gamblers win prop bets, then he's potentially affecting the outcome.  Sure, a two-way player usually won't see much run so the affect is probably small, but you need a rule to discourage anybody from crossing this line.  Fake injuries, point shaving, intentionally missing shots, throwing games...  they're all in the same realm.

I'm curious how the NBA will handle the inevitable case of NBA players betting on their own team (or worse, against their own team).

This was my thought too. The NBA will accept wife beaters, drink drivers and other players of social ill repute but it won't abide anything that calls the integrity of the games into question, like what Porter did here:

It alleged that he "disclosed confidential information" about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor" before a March 20 game.

Porter claimed to suffer from an illness during the game and played only three minutes, the league said.

An $80,000 online bet that he would underperform was placed ahead of the March 20 game, which would have paid out $1.1 million. The conspicuously large amount led to the wager's being "frozen" and "not paid out," the NBA said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jontay-porter-banned-nba-gambling-games-giving-info-bettors-limiting-p-rcna148227

Once people get the idea that gambling syndicates can get to players and get them to influence games, throw games, that's the end of the league's credibility as a competitive sport. And yes that counts for refs as well.

People are gonna think I’m crazy but the guy that places the bet should be able to sue and win. Draft kings and fan duel set lines based off injury information all the time before the average person has access to it. If you follow this stuff you can be like “oh man they only think Embid will score 27 tonight instead of 30 let’s bet that!.” Then an hour later it comes out he is on a minutes restriction or has a stomach bug. They gladly take all that money. This guy has the same advantage and they don’t pay him. Don’t get how that is legal.

If the only allegation was that Porter was sick and a bettor found out about it, I'd agree with you.  But, the implication at least is that Porter took himself out of the games intentionally to ensure the bets paid off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 08:01:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm curious what Michael Porter truly thinks right now. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This reeks of sacrificial lamb to send a message. Total hunch

I don't know about sacrificial lamb, since lambs are innocent, right?  But, I do think the league is happy that the first time this happened it was a two-way player.  They get to set a precedent that nobody will object to.  Now, if it happens with a rotation player, or even a star, they can point to that precedent.

I think "scapegoat" is the correct term.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 03:13:15 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I don't know about sacrificial lamb, since lambs are innocent, right?  But, I do think the league is happy that the first time this happened it was a two-way player.  They get to set a precedent that nobody will object to.  Now, if it happens with a rotation player, or even a star, they can point to that precedent.

I somehow doubt that they would ban a LeBron James or a Yao Ming (if he was playing) if they were the ones doing it. But if/when it does and they don't give out the same punishment, I think this will be a great way for Porter to sue.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 03:40:00 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
yeah. good thing their billions are safe. i was really worried there for a second.

To me it's more about the integrity of the game.  If a player is going to take himself out of games to help gamblers win prop bets, then he's potentially affecting the outcome.  Sure, a two-way player usually won't see much run so the affect is probably small, but you need a rule to discourage anybody from crossing this line.  Fake injuries, point shaving, intentionally missing shots, throwing games...  they're all in the same realm.

I'm curious how the NBA will handle the inevitable case of NBA players betting on their own team (or worse, against their own team).

This was my thought too. The NBA will accept wife beaters, drink drivers and other players of social ill repute but it won't abide anything that calls the integrity of the games into question, like what Porter did here:

It alleged that he "disclosed confidential information" about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor" before a March 20 game.

Porter claimed to suffer from an illness during the game and played only three minutes, the league said.

An $80,000 online bet that he would underperform was placed ahead of the March 20 game, which would have paid out $1.1 million. The conspicuously large amount led to the wager's being "frozen" and "not paid out," the NBA said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jontay-porter-banned-nba-gambling-games-giving-info-bettors-limiting-p-rcna148227

Once people get the idea that gambling syndicates can get to players and get them to influence games, throw games, that's the end of the league's credibility as a competitive sport. And yes that counts for refs as well.

People are gonna think I’m crazy but the guy that places the bet should be able to sue and win. Draft kings and fan duel set lines based off injury information all the time before the average person has access to it. If you follow this stuff you can be like “oh man they only think Embid will score 27 tonight instead of 30 let’s bet that!.” Then an hour later it comes out he is on a minutes restriction or has a stomach bug. They gladly take all that money. This guy has the same advantage and they don’t pay him. Don’t get how that is legal.

If the only allegation was that Porter was sick and a bettor found out about it, I'd agree with you.  But, the implication at least is that Porter took himself out of the games intentionally to ensure the bets paid off.

It is a little different, but I think the sports books do have way to much leeway, plus they charge 10 to 15% on every bet to protect themselves against stuff. I view it kind of like how counting cards isn’t illegal and they can’t take your money away. Also, a more similar example is they have stuff like running back props and draft kings or fan duel have connected guys (shams works for fan duel). They tell draft kings that Ezekiel Elliot has been promoted to starter before anyone else and screw everyone on Stephenson rushing props (the running back that got promoted). Interestingly there is starting to be pushback in some places on the sports betting completely regulating themselves. In Massachusetts I believe they are demanding meetings with them for more information on how they limit winning players. It rubs people the wrong way they let people lose a million dollars and never bat an eye but if a guy wins 40k they only let him bet ten dollars at a time.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 04:34:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 987

I somehow doubt that they would ban a LeBron James or a Yao Ming (if he was playing) if they were the ones doing it. But if/when it does and they don't give out the same punishment, I think this will be a great way for Porter to sue.

You’re not going to see a LeBron ever do this.  There’s just not the payoff potential.  Guys making $30 million a year aren’t going to take the risk for an extra $50 or $100k.  It’s the minimum salary guys, or the 2-way players making $500k who are the risks, as well as members of the teams’ coaching and training staffs, and the NBAs biggest fears, the refs.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 04:37:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3181

It is a little different, but I think the sports books do have way to much leeway, plus they charge 10 to 15% on every bet to protect themselves against stuff. I view it kind of like how counting cards isn’t illegal and they can’t take your money away. Also, a more similar example is they have stuff like running back props and draft kings or fan duel have connected guys (shams works for fan duel). They tell draft kings that Ezekiel Elliot has been promoted to starter before anyone else and screw everyone on Stephenson rushing props (the running back that got promoted). Interestingly there is starting to be pushback in some places on the sports betting completely regulating themselves. In Massachusetts I believe they are demanding meetings with them for more information on how they limit winning players. It rubs people the wrong way they let people lose a million dollars and never bat an eye but if a guy wins 40k they only let him bet ten dollars at a time.

Sports betting has always been for chumps. The house always wins even if it's eventually. It also casts a shadow of corruption over the games.

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 05:26:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 987

Sports betting has always been for chumps. The house always wins even if it's eventually. It also casts a shadow of corruption over the games.

The house always wins in aggregate, but there are individuals who can win because they in fact know what they’re doing.  One of the other advantages of the house is that they’re generally permitted to limit taking bets from such people, although there is some movement towards revoking those very liberally utilized privileges.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 08:42:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 744

Precedent or no, I'd be curious to see the league react to an all star that gets caught doing this. Would they actually stick to it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 09:15:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Precedent or no, I'd be curious to see the league react to an all star that gets caught doing this. Would they actually stick to it?

If an All-Star was caught point shaving / purposefully throwing prop bets, I think the league would boot him.  The Player's Association may try to fight it, but this type of thing seems like a zero tolerance thing across all leagues.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2024, 03:46:59 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380

No doubt, but unfortunately for him he put himself in a position to be sacrificed. It's probably less the betting, or even telling a bettor his health condition, even though that was bad enough, and more that he tried to influence a game he was playing in from a betting point of view by calling in sick during the game. Kind of hard to avoid being punished once that was found out, even if there are Mr. Bigs higher up the betting syndicate than he is.

In any case he will have had plenty of practice for his future career as a bookmaker now  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2024, 07:34:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Sad but part of being a professional is acting like one.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2024, 07:39:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 744

If an All-Star was caught point shaving / purposefully throwing prop bets, I think the league would boot him.  The Player's Association may try to fight it, but this type of thing seems like a zero tolerance thing across all leagues.
It certainly should be and that would be logical. Hopefully it doesn't get tested.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008