Author Topic: UFC & Affliction Saturday 7/19 - Preview and Predictions  (Read 10458 times)

UFC & Affliction Saturday 7/19 - Preview and Predictions
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Great weekend for MMA with the UFC airing a Fight Night on Spike from 9-12 to counter Affliction's debut show airing on FSN from 8-9 and then PPV from 9-12. 

I'll put the UFC first since it is on Spike and thus will likely be viewed by more people though the Affliction card is loaded with big names.  I'm not going to do previews or predictions for the preliminary cards, just too many fights, but will hit all the fights guaranteed to be aired.

UFC - FIGHT NIGHT 14
MAIN CARD
Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin - LHW
Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy - LHW
Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca - LW
Jake O'Brien vs. Cain Velasquez - HW
Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson - WW
C.B. Dollaway vs. Jesse Taylor - MW

PRELIMINARY CARD
Tim Credeur vs. Cale Yarbrough - MW
Brodie Farber vs. Rory Markham - WW
Brad Blackburn vs. James Giboo - WW
Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees - MW
Shannon Gugerty vs. Dale Hartt - LW

PREDICTIONS
A Silva vs. Irvin
Anderson wanted to fight more often and wanted to test himself by fighting at LHW.  The UFC was more than willing to oblige and put him as the main event of this fight night event which the UFC put together in about 4 weeks time to counter Affliction's debut show.  If he is uninjured Anderson expects to defend his MW title in October against Okami and at the end of the year against Cote.  After those defenses if his LHW debut is successful he has talked about fighting at that weight again.  Irvin was last seen knocking out Houston Alexander in just 8 seconds.  He is a brawler and wants to brawl with Anderson.  He should have the weight and power advantage though even he admits Anderson is the much more technical striker.  It will be interesting to see how Anderson fares fighting noticeably bigger guys than what he has faced in the MW division.
Prediction: Anderson KO round 3

Vera vs. Andy
Like Anderson Vera will be making his LHW debut, of course he is dropping down weight after two straight losses at HW (sylvia and werdum).  Andy is making his UFC debut after finding a good deal of success in the IFL.  He is a wrestler by nature so this could be a boring fight especially if Vera struggles with the first weight cut of his career.  Vera does have the better all around game, but he is not the best wrestler in the world.  Andy will definately be looking to make this a wrestling match.
Prediction: Vera UD

Edgar vs. Franca
This fight was originally scheduled for the PPV in August, but the UFC moved it up for this show.  Franca is making his UFC return after serving his steroid suspension he got during his title fight against SHerk last summer.  Edgar burst onto the UFC scene beating Tyson Griffin, but has been a bit up and down since then.  The winner should re-establish himself in the stacked LW division, the loser will be way down the totem poll if not out.  Edgar is a wrestler and Franca a BJJ practioner by trade, so expect this to hit the ground.
Prediction: Edgar UD

O'Brien vs. Velasquez
Velasquez is a hot up and coming prospect.  He had a spectacular UFC debut looking good and winning easily.  He has a wrestling background but is establishing a solid stand up game.  O'Brien suffered his first UFC loss to Arlovski in his last fight.  He lay'n'prayed Arlovski and controlled much of the first two rounds, but near the end of the second Arlovski was able to get him down and pounded out a victory.  I don't think O'Brien will be able to lay'n'pray Velasquez so I'm hoping this fight will be exciting though it could easily turn into a rather boring wrestling match.
Prediction: Velasquez KO round 2

Burns vs. Johnson
Burns submitted a world class BJJ black belt in his debut.  With his experience level that should not have been possible, so he really has a chance to impress again when he takes on Rumble Johnson.  Johnson has shown incredible KO power in both hands, which have led to two impressive KO's.  He has also struggled on the ground losing two UFC fights to superior ground fighters.  If Burns can survive the early onslaught and get the fight to the ground he should win.  If not Johnson should get another quick and powerful KO.
Prediction: Johnson KO round 1

Dollaway vs. Taylor
Taylor of course was kicked off the TUF after making the finals for having a drunken rage following the filming of the show.  He has since entered AA and has stayed off the sauce realzing the opportunity he blew by drinking.  Dollaway of course lost the finals to Amir, making it two straight losses to Amir.  He is looking to get back to his winning ways facing Taylor.  This fight will likely come down to the stand up game as both are good wrestlers and neither is all that skilled in the art of submission. 
Prediction: Taylor UD

As I mentioned, the clothing company Affliction is dipping its foot into the promotion business and has done so by signing a number of big names including a number of former UFC HW champions (Sylvia, Arlovski, Barnett, Rizzo) and other top contenders in the UFC.  Though the biggest signing was Affliction signing the former Pride HW champion Fedor Emelianenko, long considered the best fighter in the world.  The Main Card airs on PPV for 40 dollars, though starting at 8 pm on FSN there will be at least two fights shown for free before the PPV kicks off at 9 pm.  The UFC airs live at 9 pm as well.

AFFLICTION: BANNED
MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia - HW
Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell - HW
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo - HW
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento - MW
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead - LHW

PRELIMINARY CARD (FSN)
Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko - HW
Edwin Dewees vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - LHW

PRELIMINARY CARD (MAY NOT BE BROADCAST)
Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin - MW
Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens - MW
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young - FW

PREDICTIONS
MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)
Fedor vs. Sylvia
Finally Fedor is fighting a top fighter and Sylvia gets his wish to fight the best fighter in the world.  One of the few fights on the Affliction card where two top competitors are matched up against each other.  It will be a five round fight as WAMMA has officially declared this its HW title fight (WAMMA is an organization trying to create undisputed champions - the UFC is refusing to recognize WAMMA so it will be hard to do).  Fedor has fought much of his career in obscurity in the U.S. and thus isn't a big name despite being widely regarded as the best MMAist in the world.  He holds two wins against Big Nog as well as wins over other top fighters such as Mirko Cro Cop, Heath Herring, Mark Coleman, and Mark Hunt.  His all around game is superb and is a Sambo champion giving him great throwing capabilities from the clinch.  As to Sylvia, there is no mystery as to what he wants and needs to do to win, and that is keep the fight standing and use his size and reach advantage to keep Fedor at a distance.  Sylvia definately has the potential to knock out the Russian Cyborg, but he is a massive betting line underdog against the Russian, and he should be.
Prediction: Fedor sub round 2 (though I really want Sylvia to win)

Arlovski vs. Rothwell
Rothwell was the IFL champion before leaving the organization last year.  He has the talent to be among the best, but Arlovski is the first guy he will be facing that is ranked in the top ten at the time of the fight.  He is definately stepping up in competition.  Rothwell is a big tall striker like his training partner Sylvia.  His takedown defense and ground game is not however as good as Sylvia, which should spell his doom.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Arlovski test his striking against Rothwell, which could spell his doom, but Arlovski has a definative advantage on the ground, so he should look to take it down and keep it down.
Prediction: Arlovski sub round 2

Barnett vs. Rizzo
This is a rematch of a UFC HW championship fight of a long time ago.  Rizzo won, Barnett tested positive for steroids and left the UFC for Pride where he put together a solid career.  Barnett is still in his prime, while Rizzo is not.  Barnett has been very consistent, while Rizzo has not.  Everything says this should be an easy victory for Barnett who has world class BJJ, though Rizzo still has great power in his hands so anything is possible.
Prediction: Barnett sub round 1

Lindland vs. Nascimento
Lindland is one of the best MW's in the world and has won an Olympic medal for wrestling.  He had a following out with the UFC and has toiled in obscurity since.  He fought Rampage at LHW in the WFA and then Fedor at HW in Bodog and held his own against the much bigger men.  He isn't the best stand up fighter but he has a great chin and can take a lot of punishment while working for takedowns.  This fight seems like Affliction trying to showcase Lindland as Nascimento is not even close to the level of Lindland.  I expect a quick easy victory for Lindland. 
Prediction: Lindland KO round 1

"Babalu" Sobral vs. Whitehead
Two more former UFC fighters looking for a home in Affliction.  Whitehead has fought all over the place since appearing on TUF 2.  Babalu was of course kicked out of the UFC after holding a choke after the tap to teach Heath a lesson (his words).  Whitehead is tough so this could be a good fight, though Babalu should be able to eventually work for a submission and is a heavy favorite.
Prediction: Babalu sub round 2

PRELIMINARY CARD (FSN)
Buentello vs. Aleks
Aleks is the less talented, less focused, and less motivated younger brother to Fedor.  He does however have similar skill sets and if he ever gets his mind on fighting could actually be better than his brother and be the best HW in the world.  Buentello, like many others, has bounced around a lot since fighting in the UFC.  He actually challenged Arlovski for the UFC belt at one time in a fight he got knocked out very quickly.  Buentello is a brawler who has no shot if it goes to the ground, though Aleks also loves to brawl and bang.  If Aleks is focused and comes to the fight in shape, he should win easily, if he isn't in shape this could be a long brawl (which may or may not be entertaining).
Prediction: Aleks KO round 1

Little Nog vs. Dewees
Little Nog is Big Nog's twin brother.  He has always fought at 205 so they would never have to fight each other.  He has a very similar game to his brother i.e. tough with great BJJ.  Dewees has bounced around a lot and has a ton of fights for someone as young as he is.  He isn't a world class fighter, but is good enough to beat anyone at any time.  He doesn't fight much at 205 as his UFC fights were all at 185.  Should be one of hte better fights on the card.
Prediction: Little Nog sub round 3

Belfort vs. Martin (may not be shown but is of interest so I did the preview)
I believe this will be Belfort's first fight at MW anywhere.  He has all the talent in the world, but has had so many issues just piecing it all together.  Martin is a tough brawler with very good power.  This has the makings to be a great fight though either man could end it very quickly.  I'm curious to see how Belfort looks at 185 and to see if he is focused.
Prediction: Martin KO round 2
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: UFC & Affliction Saturday 7/19 - Preview and Predictions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Rampage Jackson arrested in Orange County, California yesterday for felony hit and run, evading arrest, and reckless driving.  tmz.com has photos of his arrest.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2008/716/331721.shtml

Sounds like he went off the deep end.

Cops took him to the Orange County Jail, but they determined he was "medically unfit" to be booked.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I won't watch UFC anymore since the rigged fight where they stole Rampages title :)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is in custody again.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2008/717/331921.shtml

Quinton Jackson was detained by police a second time yesterday and brought to an Irvine hospital for a mental health observation.

According to Lt. Rick Handfield of the Irvine, CA, police department, an officer was pulled over while driving past Jackson's house in the city, and a friend of Jackson's asked for help. He told the officer he was worried about the fighter's behavior.

The officer made contact with Jackson, evaluated him, and asked him to come to the hospital for observation. Jackson was completely cooperative with the officer at all times.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline mlzybaby

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Silva vs Sandman- Irvin by 2nd round KO
Vera vs Andy- Vera by decision UD
Franca vs Edgar- Franca by UD
O'brien vs Cain- O'Brien by UD
Johnson vs Burns- Johnson by KO 1ts round
CB vs Taylor- Taylor by UD

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia - HW- Sylvia by split decision
Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell - HW-Rothwell by 2nd round ko
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo - HW-Rizzo by Decision-Barnett by decison
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento - MW-Lindland by decision
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead - LHW-Babalu by decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (FSN)
Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko - HW-Emelianeko by 1st round sub
Edwin Dewees vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - LHW lil nog by 1st round sub

Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin - MW-belfort by 1st round KO
Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens - MW-levens
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young - FW- Young because hominick is so god awful on the ground

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Silva vs Sandman- Irvin by 2nd round KO
Vera vs Andy- Vera by decision UD
Franca vs Edgar- Franca by UD
O'brien vs Cain- O'Brien by UD
Johnson vs Burns- Johnson by KO 1ts round
CB vs Taylor- Taylor by UD

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia - HW- Sylvia by split decision
Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell - HW-Rothwell by 2nd round ko
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo - HW-Rizzo by Decision-Barnett by decison
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento - MW-Lindland by decision
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead - LHW-Babalu by decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (FSN)
Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko - HW-Emelianeko by 1st round sub
Edwin Dewees vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - LHW lil nog by 1st round sub

Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin - MW-belfort by 1st round KO
Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens - MW-levens
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young - FW- Young because hominick is so god awful on the ground

I looked at this quick and thought these were the actual results.  You've got a lot of upsets picked there.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Affliction has announced today that the PPV will feature 8 fights with the other 3 being aired on FSN.  In otherwords, you will see all the fights.  The PPV will now run 4 hours to ensure all 8 fights are shown.  They are doing their best to try and counteract the UFC's fight night. 

Affliction PPV
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia
Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento
Edwin Dewees vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
J.J. Ambrose vs. Mike Pyle
Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens (swing bout)

Affliction FSN
Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko
Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

The three best fights of the night might actually be on FSN.  I expect Hominick vs. Young and Belfort vs. Martin to be great fights, and Buentello has the potential to hang in there with Aleks.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline mlzybaby

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Yeah I dont really see the pics as upsets in my eyes but in reality they are as far as whos favored. I think James Irvin is underated and a dangerous stiker 1 of the hardest hitters in the UFC. Il be honest tho and admit I picked Nate Marquart to beat Silva and Henderson to beat Silva and I was dead wrong so I could be again. Ben rothwell over arloski.. ehh ive always thought arloski is overrated and rothewell is not well known and iunderated he can hit hard and take a punch... Tim or fedor. Tim always brings it and I think he can KO fedor. I think fedor faces his toughest fight thus far. Yeah he beat big nog and cro cop.. but cro cop is a small HW. Big nog is a ground wizard but doesnt hit like tim. I guess it all depends on how good tims sprawl is.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
California pulled Aleks from the Affliction card right before the weighin for failing to have proper licensing. 

Buentello said that he would be fighting Gary Goodridge but I haven't seen that confirmed from anyone.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Affliction Results
Fedor Emelianenko def. Tim Sylvia by submission (rear naked choke) at :36 seconds, R1
Andrei Arlovski def. Ben Rothwell by KO at 1:13, R3
Josh Barnett def. Pedro Rizzo by KO at 1:44, R2
Mark Hominick def. Savant Young by submission (armbar) at 4:25, R2
Renato "Babalu" Sobral def. Mike Whitehead by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) R3
Matt Lindland def. Fabio Negao by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27) R3
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Edwin Dewees by TKO (punches on the ground) at 4:06, R1
Mike Pyle def. J.J. Ambrose by submission (rear naked choke) at 2:51, R1
Vitor Belfort def. Terry Marin by KO at 3:12, R2.
Paul Buentello def. Gary Goodridge by Unanimous Decision (30-27 All Three Cards)

UFC results
-Anderson Silva def. James Irvin by KO at 1:01, R1
-Brandon Vera def. Reese Andy by unanimous decison at 5:00, R3
-Frankie Edgar def. Hermes Franca by unanimous decision at 5:00, R3
-Cain Velasquez def. Jake O'Brien by TKO at 2:02, R1
-Kevin Burns def. Anthony Johnson by TKO at 3:35, R3
-C.B. Dollaway def. Jesse Taylor by submission (peruvian neck tie) at 3:58, R1
-Tim Credeur def. Cale Yarbrough by TKO at 1:54, R1
-Rory Markham def. Brodie Farber by KO at 1:47, R1
-Nate Loughran def. Johnny Rees by submission (triangle choke) at 4:21, R1
-Brad Blackburn def. James Gaboo by TKO (strikes) at 2:29, R2
-Shannon Gugerty def. Dale Hartt by submission (rear naked choke) at 3:33, R1

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I won't watch UFC anymore since the rigged fight where they stole Rampages title :)

Rampage may not have been his usual self in that fight (I think the recent news confirms he's got some kind of problems to deal with right now), but there's just no way he won that fight.

I watched the affliction event last night, mainly to finally see a live Fedor fight. All I can say is Fedor is TOUGH. It was a chokeout win, but if you saw the fight, you saw TS take a couple looping shots and flat out wilt. When he went knees down and covered up, he was basically asking Fedor to end the fight right there.

Fedor is definitely the real deal. He had no smack talk interviews about the fight with Sylvia, they showed him lounging and playing cards in the back room the entire time before his fight, he destroyed Sylvia in 30 seconds and didn't even seem that excited or surprised about it! Afterwards he said he'd be honored to fight Randy Couture next. I hope CA can get his UFC situation worked out quickly, because that would be one hell of a fight between two high class individuals (and Randy is not getting any younger :-\).

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Rampage may not have been his usual self in that fight (I think the recent news confirms he's got some kind of problems to deal with right now), but there's just no way he won that fight.

I watched the affliction event last night, mainly to finally see a live Fedor fight. All I can say is Fedor is TOUGH. It was a chokeout win, but if you saw the fight, you saw TS take a couple looping shots and flat out wilt. When he went knees down and covered up, he was basically asking Fedor to end the fight right there.

Fedor is definitely the real deal. He had no smack talk interviews about the fight with Sylvia, they showed him lounging and playing cards in the back room the entire time before his fight, he destroyed Sylvia in 30 seconds and didn't even seem that excited or surprised about it! Afterwards he said he'd be honored to fight Randy Couture next. I hope CA can get his UFC situation worked out quickly, because that would be one hell of a fight between two high class individuals (and Randy is not getting any younger :-\).

Fedor would crush Randy.  It would look a lot like the Fedor/Sylvia fight.  I have no interest at all in seeing that fight.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
It looked like Irvin just wanted no part whatsoever of Silva.  As soon as he got rocked he just wanted it to end.  That's gotta hurt his reputation/career.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Fedor would crush Randy.  It would look a lot like the Fedor/Sylvia fight.  I have no interest at all in seeing that fight.

That was our first reaction when we heard that during the post-fight. I wouldn't bet against Fedor, but Randy would come in with a gameplan, which is a lot different from how Sylvia fights. I think he could put up a decent fight. Hell, he put Sylvia on his ass just as hard as Fedor did 10 seconds into his fight as well, he just couldn't finish it.