Author Topic: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 8532 times)

Stanley Cup Finals
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The NHL lucked out with the best possible Stanley Cup Finals, Detroit vs. Pittsburgh.  It pits the league's best team against the league's best player.  Game 1 is Saturday.

It sucks a little bit that these games compete with the Celtics games, but I'll be flipping to the hockey game when I get a chance (if, that is, it's televised.  :P)

Any predictions?  Does anybody care?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Stanley Cup Finals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
These are two of the most evenly-matched teams to play for the Cup in a long time, and while I think it's a toss-up, I have this funny feeling that the Penguins will take it. You'd think they'd schedule these things a little better and at least allow for other playoff games to not be booked at the same time. Oh, well ... thank heavens for remotes ... and that "Return" key!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bruins got me somewhat back into hockey this playoff season.  Based on my previous incarnation as a hockey fan up until giving it up around the late '90s, i grew a hatred of the Red Wings.  Thus, its re-emerged and I just like to watch this Pittsburgh team so I'm pulling for the Penguins.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Bruins got me somewhat back into hockey this playoff season.  Based on my previous incarnation as a hockey fan up until giving it up around the late '90s, i grew a hatred of the Red Wings.  Thus, its re-emerged and I just like to watch this Pittsburgh team so I'm pulling for the Penguins.

See, I've hated the Penguins since Ulf Samuelsson ruined Cam Neely's career.  I'll be pulling for the Wings (who have always been my "second" hockey team), although Crosby and Malkin are exceptional talents.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

See, I've hated the Penguins since Ulf Samuelsson ruined Cam Neely's career.  I'll be pulling for the Wings (who have always been my "second" hockey team), although Crosby and Malkin are exceptional talents.

It's weird, I've always hated Ulf but never really grew a hatred for Pittsburgh even though they were cause for a Bruins elimination.  Lemieux and Jagr were always fun to watch and Barrasso was a stud (at least in an 11 year old's eyes) in net for those teams. Plus, always thought the Penguin was a pretty sweet mascot.  I do hate Ulf Samuelsson to this day because of what he did to Cam, though. 

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:41 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

It's weird, I've always hated Ulf but never really grew a hatred for Pittsburgh even though they were cause for a Bruins elimination.  Lemieux and Jagr were always fun to watch and Barrasso was a stud (at least in an 11 year old's eyes) in net for those teams. Plus, always thought the Penguin was a pretty sweet mascot.  I do hate Ulf Samuelsson to this day because of what he did to Cam, though. 

I'll be pulling for Detroit, but I still think the Penguins will swing it, for some reason. Whatever the outcome, it could be one of the best showdowns in years!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Anyone watching?  Tonight's game is the first I've been able to watch from start to finish (since it's not competing with the Celts) and it's been an entertaining game.

I love the style of the Wings and Penguins.  Both teams seem to emphasize carrying the puck into the zone, rather than "dump and chase" which has dominated hockey in recent years.  This is what hockey is supposed to be.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Anyone watching?  Tonight's game is the first I've been able to watch from start to finish (since it's not competing with the Celts) and it's been an entertaining game.

I love the style of the Wings and Penguins.  Both teams seem to emphasize carrying the puck into the zone, rather than "dump and chase" which has dominated hockey in recent years.  This is what hockey is supposed to be.

I watched a little bit. Good game so far. Tied going to the 2nd period. I think the Penguins will tie the series tonight.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably the last thing in peoples' minds right now but heckuva Game 5 going.

Penguins tie it up to force overtime with about 34 seconds left.  Flurry to finish the 3rd period. 

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Yeah that was a great third period.  I could see myself potentially getting into this hockey thing.  I'd love to see Crosby score the game winner here.  Anything big goal in a big game he can score is good for the NHL.  I also don't want to watch Detroit fans celebrate a Championship, they don't deserve after the way they treated the Pistons in that last series.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Wow 3 overtimes. Detroit was all over Pittsburgh in the 3rd period and the 1st overtime. Pittsburgh played better the 2nd overtime. I was hoping to go to bed early but this game is too good. 

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow 3 overtimes. Detroit was all over Pittsburgh in the 3rd period and the 1st overtime. Pittsburgh played better the 2nd overtime. I was hoping to go to bed early but this game is too good. 

Yeah, same boat here.  This game has been a blast to watch. 

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Earth to Sidney, you awake over there buddy?  I'm tired, I want to go to bed, I don't really like hockey, but I love the drama of sports, so please score a sick goal so I can go to bed, thank you.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:16 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I hopped aboard the Game 5 ship with 8 minutes left in the second overtime, and I'm not moving from my couch until this one is over.

I still haven't forgiven the NHL for locking us out in 2004-05, and it's too bad -- I was absolutely head-over-heels in love with my St. Louis Blues for the longest time, although I never got to see them much at home in New York. These days, I'm in the Midwest for several months a year with regular access to the team for the first time in my life, and even in 2006-07, I routinely chose to pay at restaurants with satellites to watch our 24-win basketball team rather than stay home and watch the Blues for free.  I just can't bring myself to truly care about hockey anymore, and it's really unfortunate.  Glad I somehow didn't experience the same residual effects from baseball in '94 and basketball in '99.

But I digress.  Whether you pay close attention to the sport or not, there are few things that match excitement of playoff overtime hockey...and in a possibly Cup-deciding game...this is incredible.  Love Doc Emrick, too.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:33 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I am the farthest thing from a hockey fan, but even I am up watching this, great game.