Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10357 times)

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 02:58:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pritchard for Reid would seemingly make sense to me. From what I can tell, Minny doesn’t have significant PG depth or quality behind DLo (who could be shipped out, too), and PP could fill a need their longer-term as they figure out a direction, especially with his shooting. And Reid obviously fills a need for us.

May have to include a second or cash given how well Reid has been playing lately, but I think it’d be worth it.

Then we could hopefully pick up a wing in the buyout market or via our TPE.

So I watched Reid last night and have to wonder why Wolves would want to trade him? My understanding is that he’s been really good all year, so why would they trade him for an undersized backup guard and a second?

I’m not trying to be a smart guy, it’s a serious question as I have seen this idea before

My understanding is they don’t want to pay him next year, so they’re looking to trade him likely.

Not sure what he’ll ultimately cost, though, given how well he’s played.

I could see Thybulle for Reid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 09:03:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we over value Pritchard's value.   I think it is all agent hype talk but I could be wrong.    I would favor dealing him providing we can add another ball handler or a guy who can do some ball handling.   Smart and Brogdon are oft hurt.   JD isn't ready

I don't if Burks can be that guy.   But he is taller and a better shooter but Pritch is very good ball handler and teams know our big two will turnover it over is pressed like GS did to us.

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 09:06:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think we over value Pritchard's value.   I think it is all agent hype talk but I could be wrong.    I would favor dealing him providing we can add another ball handler or a guy who can do some ball handling.   Smart and Brogdon are oft hurt.   JD isn't ready

I don't if Burks can be that guy.   But he is taller and a better shooter but Pritch is very good ball handler and teams know our big two will turnover it over is pressed like GS did to us.

Serious question:  if we traded Pritchard and signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent, would be losing much this season?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 09:13:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Serious question:  if we traded Pritchard and signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent, would be losing much this season?

No, but only because Pritchard is a luxury item and not a necessity.  If Pritchard were a regular in fully-healthy rotation and we swapped him for Augustin, we’d be regretful.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 09:27:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No, but only because Pritchard is a luxury item and not a necessity.  If Pritchard were a regular in fully-healthy rotation and we swapped him for Augustin, we’d be regretful.

That's assuming that PP would bounce out of his slump, but sure, I agree.  But, Augustin could match current-season Pritchard's role and production without much problem.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=pritcpa01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id2=augusdj01&p2yrfrom=2022

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 09:43:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That's assuming that PP would bounce out of his slump, but sure, I agree.  But, Augustin could match current-season Pritchard's role and production without much problem.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=pritcpa01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id2=augusdj01&p2yrfrom=2022
if trading PP (as the principal piece of the deal) would return a serviceable wing or big AND we knew we could sign DJ that would be a good move to make.  DJ provides ok offense and is a solid ball handler from what I recall.  he'd be a decent vet with experience that may help the team keep it's composure on the court and the locker room.  only downside is PP provides some real hustle on the court and surprising rebounding for a guard.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 09:57:37 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Also, so long as the Jazz are saving money and like what they’re getting back, they can cut both Azbuike and Bolmaro — two players who’s rookie options were not picked up this fall and are completely out of the rotation.

I’m not sure that a KO trade is the trade that makes them eat those contracts, but a 3-for-1 isn’t a real obstacle.  They have cheap and expiring deadweight.

It's simpler than that - Boston's TPEs let them take back those small contracts while only having to match money on the primary contract (this would be true of any theoretical Olynyk/Noel/Plumlee/etc deal). You just make it a 3-for-3.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Also, so long as the Jazz are saving money and like what they’re getting back, they can cut both Azbuike and Bolmaro — two players who’s rookie options were not picked up this fall and are completely out of the rotation.

I’m not sure that a KO trade is the trade that makes them eat those contracts, but a 3-for-1 isn’t a real obstacle.  They have cheap and expiring deadweight.

It's simpler than that - Boston's TPEs let them take back those small contracts while only having to match money on the primary contract (this would be true of any theoretical Olynyk/Noel/Plumlee/etc deal). You just make it a 3-for-3.

I'm not sure the Celtics want to add $20 million in luxury tax because the Jazz don't want to cut deadweight players.  Honestly that could kill a deal.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 11:29:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I'm not sure the Celtics want to add $20 million in luxury tax because the Jazz don't want to cut deadweight players.  Honestly that could kill a deal.
This is the kind of thing that makes me lose faith in Wyc.  He told Brad "it's about this year".  Is it Wyc?

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 11:41:41 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

This is the kind of thing that makes me lose faith in Wyc.  He told Brad "it's about this year".  Is it Wyc?

It can be about this year and at the same time not letting everyone negotiate with you like they've got your over a barrel.  Utah saying "we won't do this trade unless you save us $2 million in payroll while you take on $20 million in luxury tax" is a deal you walk away from because it's a senseless position.  The Celtics could send the Jazz $2 million to make up for what they Jazz would still have to pay the released players if that was a dealbreaker on their end (never mind that the Jazz are already sending out more payroll than they're taking in on such a proposal).

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 02:18:08 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think you move on from him if you can get some legit back ups. Rumor of Will Barton being bought out and looking at the C's, who good title chances and also can pay him the most with the Gallo's injury exception he would be a great 2-3 vet option that could keep Brogdon/White/Smart at the 1 more and give the J's some back up and time off the court.

So if you can get a Vanderbilt or a Naz Reid For PP to get some legit big depth I think you pull that trigger. Anything more than that would be luck or you have to pay more than you may want. I haven't heard a peep about moving Gallos contract which would be the biggest amount to move that doesn't effect your line ups. So I'm wondering if the "coming back before playoffs" rumor might be legit. But he need to be on the practice court this month to have that shot. 

Who we trade for will be more for time management going into the second half of the season, give the starters rest going into the playoffs.

If we get more than that Stevens should be a lock in GM of the year.

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
It can be about this year and at the same time not letting everyone negotiate with you like they've got your over a barrel.  Utah saying "we won't do this trade unless you save us $2 million in payroll while you take on $20 million in luxury tax" is a deal you walk away from because it's a senseless position.  The Celtics could send the Jazz $2 million to make up for what they Jazz would still have to pay the released players if that was a dealbreaker on their end (never mind that the Jazz are already sending out more payroll than they're taking in on such a proposal).

If the front office had a Gallo/Pritchard/Jackson trade that they felt upgraded the roster and the last thing standing in the way was the other team not wanting to waive players, I'd be pretty disappointed if Stevens killed the deal instead of just taking a pair of guys back and figuring out whether to keep them or launder their contracts through San Antonio after. The flexibility of the TPEs means the difficulty of swinging a 3-for-1 can be disregarded.

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2023, 04:49:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Probably a little scrappiness on D, is it.  He is 35 and does not have a young man's energy.  But not much at all

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2023, 07:22:51 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Payton is trying to rebound after hoping he would be traded but with the trade with the Spurs falling through. It's been a difficult year for him trying to establish himself in a championship team with quality players ahead of him.

He played 21 minutes in Friday’s 127-116 win over the Charlotte Hornets at TD Garden, the most time for him in two weeks, but Pritchard said he was closely following Thursday’s trade deadline, hoping he would be moved somewhere for an opportunity to play.

“I definitely was expecting and hoping [for a trade],” Pritchard told the Globe. “But you know, I [have to] look at the good things. We’re the best team in the NBA right now and we have a great team with really great players, so for me it’s an opportunity to learn and to keep growing.”

Pritchard has watched his minutes steadily decrease each of his three seasons since being drafted 26th overall in 2020. He’s averaging 12.6 minutes and 4.7 points this season, both career lows. He played fewer than five minutes in the win over the 76ers and has played fewer than 10 minutes in 16 games, in addition to 15 did not plays, coach’s decision.

The Celtics’ acquisition of Malcolm Brogdon considerably sliced into Pritchard’s minutes, and he hasn’t been able to gain much traction under interim coach Joe Mazzulla. Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens offered Pritchard in a package with Danilo Gallinari for San Antonio’s Jakob Poeltl, but the Spurs declined the offer and traded center to the Toronto Raptors ahead of Thursday’s deadline.

“It was an emotional day, but you know I’m here and I quickly changed my mind and I’m here to do a job to the best of my ability,” Pritchard said. “For me my mindset is just come in every day and keep getting better. The only thing I can do is focus on that.”

Mazzulla has credited Pritchard for his resilience, but that has not come with a promise for more playing time. The coach is going to play the best lineups to win games and use Pritchard however he believes will be the most effective, even if that’s 20 minutes on one night, 20 seconds the next.

“It’s just developing me to be stronger and stronger,” Pritchard said. “Thrown into the fire like that, to be on those situations, you almost just have to accept the challenge and do what you do. For me, I just look at it as a good thing and [I have to be prepared] mentally to be in any situation possible.”

Pritchard said he shifted from disappointed to motivated quickly after the trade deadline after a couple of conversations with friends. He has leaned on teammate Blake Griffin for support and his teammates understand the difficulty and unpredictability of his role.

“I refocused my mind-set and I have a great opportunity here,” he said. “I get to come to work every day and play basketball.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/02/11/sports/payton-pritchard-regroups-after-wanting-leave-celtics-ahead-nba-trade-deadline/

People will probably criticize him for wanting to leave a championship contending team, but I can't blame the guy...he's 25 and he knows how fragile his tenure in the NBA can be. He doesn't make a lot of money relatively speaking so he needs to be able to showcase himself. Credit to Brad for trying to find him another home at least.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2023, 07:37:36 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
He’s making $2M and next year will make $4M.  $10M overall in his first 4 years. I realize money isn’t the only thing and that it’s all relative - the guy stands to make much more money the more he showcases his skills. But, the adjustment from wanting a trade for more PT to giving it his all in his current role shouldn’t be difficult. More so, it should be expected.  $2M for playing 10 minutes of basketball per game and working to keep your body ready and skills sharp is pretty good compensation.  Love that he’s still here and hope he can make a contribution in the playoffs when called upon.