Author Topic: Celtics (18-10) at Pistons (13-13) Game #29 12/15/18  (Read 17153 times)

Re: Celtics (18-10) at Pistons (13-13) Game #29 12/15/18
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Team was due a loss.  SEGABABA and they just didn't have much energy until it was way too late.

I'm not going to read much into tonight's loss.

« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2018, 09:37:46 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Not good, but they'll be fine.

Worried about Jaylen some though.

« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2018, 09:41:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Jaylen certainly is having a rough season, given expectations.

« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
10:21 of the 4th yet another example of poor Brown defense where he gets schooled by 40 year old Calderon due to overplaying him to his right. Or are we going to ignore this one, too?  ;)
And this is why I call everything you call empirical into question. Brown did what he was supposed to do on that. He guarded Calderon's strong side and tried to force him into going at the center down under and Calderon beat the switch.

Some plays aren't bad defense. Some plays are just good offense and other plays, because of the switch everything defense and trying to force driver's into help defense, it isn't the man on the ball playing bad defense.

Obvious case here so again, I call into question your claims of bad defense.

Lol omg COME ON. Your "Brown goggles" are on tight tonight.

That is CLEAR bad defense. He overplayed the strong side on a good shooter who is adept at those pull-up midrange jumpers. It was like he was (illogically) playing to deny the pass to the guy at the top of the key.

Maybe that's good defense on someone like Ben Simmons, who won't shoot anything outside of the paint, but that is p--- poor defense that gives way too much space for a savvy vet who is a good shooter off the dribble like Calderon. This Brown apologism is so ridiculous.
As is your excessive, unwarranted and in many cases just plain wrong criticism. As I stated earlier, you were all over Brown in the first half but Smart was awful and you said nothing about him. You never say anything positive about Stevens and he is only one of the best three coaches in the league. You obviously love being pessimistic and have a bug up your butt over certain members of the team.

But sure, I am a Brown apologist. I will admit to that. I am an optimist. I will agree to that. Heck, if I wasn't optimistic the OPs for the game threads would suck to read.

You want to admit to anything or are you just right about everything?

« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
First borderline decent opponent in a while. We hung with them for the most part. No big deal.

« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2018, 09:51:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First really bad shooting night in a while. That happens regardless how good the opponent is. My problem was the defense and the bench. The defense against such a bad shooting team stunk. Detroit should never have been able to score 113 on us. And except for Theis, the rest of the bench was non-existent.

« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
10:21 of the 4th yet another example of poor Brown defense where he gets schooled by 40 year old Calderon due to overplaying him to his right. Or are we going to ignore this one, too?  ;)
And this is why I call everything you call empirical into question. Brown did what he was supposed to do on that. He guarded Calderon's strong side and tried to force him into going at the center down under and Calderon beat the switch.

Some plays aren't bad defense. Some plays are just good offense and other plays, because of the switch everything defense and trying to force driver's into help defense, it isn't the man on the ball playing bad defense.

That is CLEAR bad defense. He overplayed the strong side on a good shooter who is adept at those pull-up midrange jumpers. It was like he was (illogically) playing to deny the pass to the guy at the top of the key.

Maybe that's good defense on someone like Ben Simmons, who won't shoot anything outside of the paint, but that is p--- poor defense that gives way too much space for a savvy vet who is a good shooter off the dribble like Calderon. This Brown apologism is so ridiculous.
As is your excessive, unwarranted and in many cases just plain wrong criticism. As I stated earlier, you were all over Brown in the first half but Smart was awful and you said nothing about him. You never say anything positive about Stevens and he is only one of the best three coaches in the league. You obviously love being pessimistic and have a bug up your butt over certain members of the team.

But sure, I am a Brown apologist. I will admit to that. I am an optimist. I will agree to that. Heck, if I wasn't optimistic the OPs for the game threads would suck to read.

It only seems "excessive" and "unwarranted" due to how much you like Brown, along with several other posters who share this same perspective, which exacerbates my criticisms of Brown in the game threads having to respond to each of those rebuttals. The same thing happens to me with Smart and some others.

But sure, I've always been open about my personal biases. I'm probably the biggest Smart supporter on the site, which certainly affects my ability to fully appreciate his sometimes horrendous shot selection. I like "blue collar" defensive types of players, players with high BBIQs, and/or players that utilize high skill levels to overcome fewer athletic abilities, which is why I'm biased to the Smarts, Kyries, Horfords, and Haywards of the world. This also explains why I'm more critical of certain players, specifically Rozier and (to a lesser extent) Brown. (I know you disagree about Brown's BBIQ, but I think we just have totally different conceptions of BBIQ that are intractable at this point. Apparently this difference of perspective also applies to what constitutes sound defense, as well.)

But I think you are wrong about a few things. I do compliment Stevens when he deserves it. I think he's easily the best coach in preparing a game plan and gameplanning for individual teams, and I gave him huge props for the change in the starting lineup of adding Smart and Morris. I just think he's average at best when it comes to rotations and in-game decisions in general, which is why it is skewed in the game threads.

I think you're also off about the pessimist component. I'm a major optimist in my personal and professional life. I think the negative posts get highlighted much more than the positive posts in the game threads, especially when they're in opposition to one's personal perspective. But I post quite a bit in the game threads, and I'd say that in most game threads I have just as many if not more positive posts than negative posts, though it doesn't seem that way because, again, negative posts are much more highlighted and noticed than positive posts.

I probably am too critical in some of my posts, and posts probably do come off more negative than I intend, which is a general issue with my communication that I need to work on (lack of explicitness/clarity, that is). For that I apologize to the other posters. I hope I don't ruin others' experiences on here, as I genuinely enjoy conversing with everyone else here during the game threads as much as I enjoy watching the games themselves.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:17:41 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

It only seems "excessive" and "unwarranted" due to how much you like Brown, along with several other posters who share this same perspective, which exacerbates my criticisms of Brown in the game threads having to respond to each of those rebuttals. The same thing happens to me with Smart and some others.

But sure, I've always been open about my personal biases. I'm probably the biggest Smart supporter on the site, which certainly affects my ability to fully appreciate his sometimes horrendous shot selection. I like "blue collar" defensive types of players, players with high BBIQs, and/or players that utilize high skill levels to overcome fewer athletic abilities, which is why I'm biased to the Smarts, Kyries, Horfords, and Haywards of the world. This also explains why I'm more critical of certain players, specifically Rozier and (to a lesser extent) Brown. (I know you disagree about Brown's BBIQ, but I think we just have totally different conceptions of BBIQ that are intractable at this point. Apparently this difference of perspective also applies to what constitutes sound defense, as well.)

But I think you are wrong about a few things. I do compliment Stevens when he deserves it. I think he's easily the best coach in preparing a game plan and gameplanning for individual teams, and I gave him huge props for the change in the starting lineup of adding Smart and Morris. I just think he's average at best when it comes to rotations and in-game decisions in general, which is why it is skewed in the game threads.

I think you're also off about the pessimist component. I'm a major optimist in my personal and professional life. I think the negative posts get highlighted much more than the positive posts in the game threads, especially when they're in opposition to one's personal perspective. But I post quite a bit in the game threads, and I'd say that in most game threads I have just as many if not more positive posts than negative posts, though it doesn't seem that way because, again, negative posts are much more highlighted and noticed than positive posts.

I probably am too critical in some of my posts, and posts probably do come off more negative than I intend, which is a general issue with my communication that I need to work on (lack of explicitness/clarity, that is). For that I apologize to the other posters. I hope I don't ruin others' experiences on here, as I genuinely enjoy conversing with everyone else here during the game threads as much as I enjoy watching the games themselves.

I love how fans of other teams we play note subtle moves and pattern changes made by Stevens that breaks the game, but it goes ignored by you to the point that hes "average at best" despite the fact that we turned around so many games.

Yeah, very unbiased  ::)

« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Jaylen certainly is having a rough season, given expectations.
Really has been thoroughly unimpressive this year.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2018, 11:42:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I’m not worried about jaylen. He was super overrated last year.  Realistically his ceiling was always a fringe star like Jason Richardson. Most likely he never ends up that good.  He’s a fine bench player and will have ups and downs.  We don’t overly criticize other young bench players like semi and yabu so u don’t see the reason to dump on jaylen when he inevitably has bad nights.

« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2018, 01:30:23 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
They looked like they were playing a back to back after a week of home and away games. They didn't shoot well and didn't deserve to win but I think they will be ok. They have a few days to get over it. They've gotten themselves back in the hunt for a No2 - 3 seed at least, just have to keep remembering what got them back in this position in the first place.

One thing though for people who keep thinking we don't need Kyrie or why does Kyrie hog the ball when the game is on the line, it's because he can score points even when he's not shooting well, he finds a way. He's an elite scorer in the league for a reason. This season he's playing a more complete point guard game than he has in the past, certainly during his time in Cleveland. But it's nice to know that you have someone in your team who can go get you a bucket even when his outside shot isn't falling.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2018, 02:06:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Missing Horford bad.

Time to change up our starting 5? Brown back at the 2, Hayward 3 and Tatum 4?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2018, 02:49:23 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This was a Detroit Win rather than a Celtic loss.

They played with energy and was lights out in all three quarters counter that with perfect back to back scenario for the Cs when they also could not find the bottom of the net.. Uncharacteristically shot bad from three.. Sink another 3 or 4 and this would have been a totally different game altogether... Just really not our night plus the Pistons wanted the win more to prove they still have it.

« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Detroit is a bad team compared to Celtics, especialy if we take a look at the bench. Back to back was not an excuse. Our deep rotation gives more rest to our players than in other teams. We just have to beat such opponents, regardless of BTB and bad shooting. We just got too many good players unlike Pistons. A minus in my notebook for tonight's loss.

« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Detroit is a bad team compared to Celtics, especialy if we take a look at the bench. Back to back was not an excuse. Our deep rotation gives more rest to our players than in other teams. We just have to beat such opponents, regardless of BTB and bad shooting. We just got too many good players unlike Pistons. A minus in my notebook for tonight's loss.

I agree.  Hayward, Brown and Rozier were terrible last night.  Brown and Rozier hit one shot and Hayward was 3-11.  While playing an average of 25 minutes each. That is putrid bench play.