Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82786 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I've been pimpin Domantas Sabonis all year -- quick follow-up.

6-10", 231 lbs
18 points and 13.2 rebounds per 40.  Better rebounding rate than Karl Towns, e.g, but they're completely different players. 

70% shooting for the season
71.2 TS%.
26.4 PER
On court: 130 offensive rating, 89 defensive per 100 for Gonzaga
Gonzaga is 24-1, with a loss to Arizona as most of you know

* - he's not declaring this year, afaik, but he's one to keep an eye on.

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Our pick keeps falling these days and looking at the schedule ahead it looks like we will be either picking 15 or 10-12.

Draftexpress has Winslow at 11. I have not watched the kid, but lots of people put him in the same sentence as Johnson.

Has somebody watched more games of the kid?

I'm just not sold on Winslow as a high end prospect. He has solid size at the SF, elite athleticism, is able to get to the hoop, and plays with good energy. My worry is that he really lacks the skill set to be anything more then a rotational wing. Their are players projected later in the draft who I would consider comparable prospects. (Justin Anderson and Hollis-Jefferson)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
started its own thread but wanted to put in on here also

Jay King retweeted
Lartaun de Azumendi ?@Lartaun_ 2m2 minutes ago

@ByJayKing Ainge at Barcelona-Galatasaray Euroleague game right now. Mario Hezonja targeted for the draft.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
http://t.co/YUJD74ZrlA

I was checking out the Draftexpress vid of Karl Towns vs. Jarell Martin of LSU.  Never seen Martin before, but man he looks impressive.  6-8 ish, 240.  Big, strong, and skilled.  They have him slated as a 2nd rounder.  Maybe because he's a tweener?  Looks solid.

« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I was checking out the Draftexpress vid of Karl Towns vs. Jarell Martin of LSU.  Never seen Martin before, but man he looks impressive.  6-8 ish, 240.  Big, strong, and skilled.  They have him slated as a 2nd rounder.  Maybe because he's a tweener?  Looks solid.

The LSU/KY game a couple of nights ago was a real fun game to watch.

Martin's front-court mate, Jordan Mickey really impressed me. At 6'7", thats a concern, but man can this guy block shots.

EDIT: I'd use one of our 2nd rounders on him.

« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

The LSU/KY game a couple of nights ago was a real fun game to watch.

Martin's front-court mate, Jordan Mickey really impressed me. At 6'7", thats a concern, but man can this guy block shots.

EDIT: I'd use one of our 2nd rounders on him.
Martin averages 16-9-2 on 50% shooting.  Seen him listed everywhere from 6-7" to 6-10" on espn.  He definitely looks like a first round talent to me, at a glance.

« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
wanted to chime in again,

my thoughts on Looney are turning a little south.

Having watched some of the UCLA vs Arizona game and the break down of the game on draftexpress.com I am left with an Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Anthony Randolph fear. Hollis-Jefferson is going to be an elite SF defender in the NBA and at 6'7 he made Looney look really uncomfortable. Looney should have been able to finish over the short RHJ but he struggled to finish on him. I am starting to worry that his great length and unique skill set (handles/rebounding) will be wasted do to his lack of shooting or finishing ability. In my opinion he is still worth a gamble after the 12th pick but not worth a stretch into the top ten.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Having watched some of the UCLA vs Arizona game and the break down of the game on draftexpress.com I am left with an Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Anthony Randolph fear. Hollis-Jefferson is going to be an elite SF defender in the NBA and at 6'7 he made Looney look really uncomfortable. Looney should have been able to finish over the short RHJ but he struggled to finish on him. I am starting to worry that his great length and unique skill set (handles/rebounding) will be wasted do to his lack of shooting or finishing ability. In my opinion he is still worth a gamble after the 12th pick but not worth a stretch into the top ten.

It seems to me that Looney isn't skilled enough to play the 3 and is too short to play the 4. Smells like bust.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

It seems to me that Looney isn't skilled enough to play the 3 and is too short to play the 4. Smells like bust.

I don't think height is really a problem he measured 6'9.5 in shoes with a 9'1.5" standing reach.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I don't think height is really a problem he measured 6'9.5 in shoes with a 9'1.5" standing reach.

I don't think it's his height per se that's troubling to me, it's more the "skinny and skilled but not super athletic" physical profile. More JaJaun Johnson than Chris Bosh.

« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Has anybody watched Rondae Hollis-Jefferson recently? Any improvement in his jump shot? At least better mechanics?

The story was his jumper had been reconstructed during the summer and an improvement was expected. I can see it in the % but it is small.

If he can develop a jumper he is another very good player to target with our 2nd pick. Last year's defense with him and Gordon was a pleasure to watch.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Has anybody watched Rondae Hollis-Jefferson recently? Any improvement in his jump shot? At least better mechanics?

The story was his jumper had been reconstructed during the summer and an improvement was expected. I can see it in the % but it is small.

If he can develop a jumper he is another very good player to target with our 2nd pick. Last year's defense with him and Gordon was a pleasure to watch.

I cant speak to his shooting over the past few games but I know he was 1-6 vs UCLA. Regardless I still think he is a good option with the clippers pick even with a broken jumper. He is an elite athlete with good size who is possibly the best man defender in all of college basketball. That is a lot of positives for a pick in the 20s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Was doing some basic stat research on Prozingis

His per 40 stats in the ACB compared to other ACB bigs at a similar age

Prozingis (19yr old) 18.6pts 46FG%  33%3PT on 4 attempts  8.6rb 1.5stl 1.8blk

Ibaka      (19yr old) 17.7pts  55FG% .25%3PT on .3attempts 11.2rb .8stl 2.5blk

P Gasol    (20yr old) 20pts    54FG% 36%3PT on 2.7attempts 9.4rb 2.1stl 2.2blk

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

M Gasol   (21yr old) 18.8pts 59FG% 41%3PT on 0.6attempts 9.7rb 1.5stl 1.5blk

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

Missing from that is he plays fantastic defense....or at least as fantastic defensive instincts.  If he hit the weight room he could be a really good all around player.

Edit: Also, where are my manners?  TP for putting that together

« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Missing from that is he plays fantastic defense....or at least as fantastic defensive instincts.  If he hit the weight room he could be a really good all around player.

I agree his lack of strength scares me but the more I watch of him the more I like.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet