Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354157 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #750 on: December 27, 2016, 12:27:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Noel looking really good so far in the first half. In limited minutes he has a three point play, a couple rebounds, a block on Cuz, and has altered numerous shots at the basket. Their interior D is so much better with him in there.

It'll be a shame if someone else gets him for cheap, though I think he could really, really help Portland.

Just checking the box score, and he's only played three minutes total.  Must have looked terrific to give that impression in so few minutes.  :)

« Reply #751 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:42 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
How on earth does San Antonio/Chicago get the other prime time Christmas game?

San Antonio I get, but Chicago? The same Chicago who didn't make the playoffs last year, and whose in 9th place again this year?

Of course outside of GS/Cleveland, can't really think of another hot matchup I'd want to see that doesn't involve GS or Clevelando, especially before the season started.

Probably should have been something like pick any 2 of San Antonio, Toronto, or LAC.

Just amazed Chicago got a prime Christmas day time slot.

Any team with Dwyane Wade will always be a strong national draw. One of the most popular and well liked players of his generation.

Fact is, Christmas day games are about drawing eyeballs.

You really think so? Well-liked by whom—other players? the media? Seems like fans of non-Wade teams dislike him quite a bit. Celtics fans certainly dislike him.

I'm sure plenty of hard core NBA fans dislike him, but doubtfully anymore than they would dislike any elite player on the opposition. That's kind of how fandom usually works.

But Wade is widely beloved and respected by casual fans and those that are capable of pushing their irrational hate of the opposition to the side, and just appreciate talent for what it is. You think it is an accident Wade has been voted into the All-Star game as a starter for years now, despite the fact that the last couple years he most likely did not actually deserve that designation.

You should study up on Wade a bit, he's actually a really classy human being.

I've read about some nice things he's done, but to me, his on-court behavior is the opposite of classy. No doubt he's a very good player, and has also benefitted from what I call the Cal Ripken phenomenon—continuing to get voted into the All-Star Game long after he deserved it, because of a pretty long run of truly good years prior to that.

But I also have no doubt that his "greatness" as a player came with a big assist from modern NBA rules and officiating—that is, he's been allowed to regularly kick defenders—sometimes even climb up the front of them, as he did to KG at least once—with a foul being called on the defender, giving him easy buckets and tons of undeserved trips to the foul line.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #752 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:44 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Noel looking really good so far in the first half. In limited minutes he has a three point play, a couple rebounds, a block on Cuz, and has altered numerous shots at the basket. Their interior D is so much better with him in there.

It'll be a shame if someone else gets him for cheap, though I think he could really, really help Portland.

Just checking the box score, and he's only played three minutes total.  Must have looked terrific to give that impression in so few minutes.  :)

I said in limited minutes!  ;)

In all seriousness, though, it actually was. The defense immediately improved dramatically, and Noel even blocked Cousins on his first possession, along with altering numerous other shots at the rim. You should read some of the comments over at the game thread on LibertyBallers.com, which pretty much say the same thing.

Of course, now they have Okafor in there as the center, and the defense is atrocious.

I fully believe they're trying to "showcase" Okafor for a trade now and restrict Noel's free agent value at the same time. Of course, Okafor has looked absolutely terrible and is doing nothing but making himself untradeable. I'm not sure that there's any other logical excuse for that rotation choice.

EDIT: So far in 20 minutes Okafor is a -9 with 6 pts (3-5 fg), 2 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 3 TOs, and 4 PFs, all while giving up a ton of points in the paint.

« Reply #753 on: December 27, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Embiid really is impressive, though his BBIQ isn't very high. He also makes too many TOs and has a tendency to take off some defensive possessions. A pairing of Embiid and Simmons should be ridiculous, though.

« Reply #754 on: December 27, 2016, 01:14:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I said in limited minutes!  ;)

In all seriousness, though, it actually was. The defense immediately improved dramatically, and Noel even blocked Cousins on his first possession, along with altering numerous other shots at the rim. You should read some of the comments over at the game thread on LibertyBallers.com, which pretty much say the same thing.

Of course, now they have Okafor in there as the center, and the defense is atrocious.

I fully believe they're trying to "showcase" Okafor for a trade now and restrict Noel's free agent value at the same time. Of course, Okafor has looked absolutely terrible and is doing nothing but making himself untradeable. I'm not sure that there's any other logical excuse for that rotation choice.

EDIT: So far in 20 minutes Okafor is a -9 with 6 pts (3-5 fg), 2 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 3 TOs, and 4 PFs, all while giving up a ton of points in the paint.

If they restrict Noel's trade value too much, he'll just accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent the following summer.  His relationship with the organization is very broken -- I don't see him signing anything but a huge offer sheet from another team for fear the Sixers will match. 

« Reply #755 on: December 27, 2016, 01:59:37 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Embiid really is impressive, though his BBIQ isn't very high. He also makes too many TOs and has a tendency to take off some defensive possessions. A pairing of Embiid and Simmons should be ridiculous, though.
Embiid has a good BBIQ.  He wouldn't have progressed so well so quickly if he didn't.  His turnovers come from inexperience and being asked to do too much because of the Sixers limited talent.  Simmons and Embiid should be a very good fit and it shouldn't be hard to put complimentary players around them. 

« Reply #756 on: December 27, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Westbrook 2 rebounds shy of a half-time triple double. Cray.

Should get that MVP trophy probably...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #757 on: December 28, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Indy down with 8 minutes to go in Washington. If they lose, they'll be tied with Detroit for 10th/11th, though Detroit is currently down to Milwaukee, who is also currently in 8th place above the Pacers right now.

Talk about underachieving, huh? And it's really unclear how they'll get much better from here.

I know Lowe has reported that Bird is not taking calls for George right now (actually rebuffing them), but if they don't significantly improve before the deadline and Danny comes knocking with a big offer, you have to think he considers that deal, right? George will very likely be gone in 2018 summer if they don't improve much next year, which seems very skeptical at the moment.

« Reply #758 on: December 28, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
The Bulls really look bad.  Stagnant offense with little ball movement, over-reliance on washed up stars to produce offensively.

I'd really hate to be a Bulls fan right now.  Jettisoned a superior coach in Thibs for Hoiberg.  Signed Wade and Rondo in an ill-advised effort to stay relevant in a weak Eastern conference.  Also previously traded Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic for a poor man's Kyle Korver in McDermott.  Their other young players don't seem to be very promising.

Mirotic is complete trash.  I never understood the infatuation with him, even after he had a decent rookie season.  Limited offensive ability with poor decision making.  Major defensive liability.  Shooting at 30% from 3 this season, which is clearly below expectations for a stretch 4. 

Even though they're only down 2 against the Nets heading into the 4th, they've been significantly outplayed.  The ball is moving better on the Nets end and they're getting much higher quality shots.  Meanwhile Chicago is shooting 38% against the worst defensive team in the league - a team that is also 1-14 on the road.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:05:27 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #759 on: December 28, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
The Bulls really look bad.  Stagnant offense with little ball movement, over-reliance on washed up stars to produce offensively.

I'd really hate to be a Bulls fan right now.  Jettisoned a superior coach in Thibs for Hoiberg.  Signed Wade and Rondo in a ill-advised effort to stay relevant in a weak Eastern conference.  Also previously traded Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic for a poor man's Kyle Korver in McDermott.  Their other young players don't seem to be very promising.

Mirotic is complete trash.  I never understood the infatuation with him, even after he had a decent rookie season.  Limited offensive ability with poor decision making.  Major defensive liability.  Shooting at 30% from 3 this season, which is clearly below expectations for a stretch 4. 

Even though they're only down 2 against the Nets heading into the 4th, they've been significantly outplayed.  The ball is moving better on the Nets and and they're getting much higher quality shots.  Meanwhile Chicago is shooting 38% against the worst defensive team in the league - a team that is also 1-14 on the road.

Yeah, Butler is the only one worth anything on that team, and I read an article the other day that talked about how they're completely overusing Butler and breaking him down. I also read that there's some locker room issues already brewing with how bad they've been.

« Reply #760 on: December 28, 2016, 10:54:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Warriors are taking Toronto to the woodshed early on.

« Reply #761 on: December 28, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Sacramento being in the playoffs might be short lived, at least for now.

They're currently down 16 in the 2nd to the Lillard-less Blazers in Portland, and Denver is up 10 on Minny in the 4th. A Denver win and Sacramento loss will put them tied for the 8th seed.

A Trailblazers win will also put them at 14 in the win column alongside Denver and Sacramento, and New Orleans' win tonight puts them at 13 wins with them on the rise now being healthy.

I still think the Trailblazers or Pelicans end up with the 8th seed, but it might be a tighter playoff race than we want to maximize the chances of a Boogie trade in late February.

« Reply #762 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Bulls come back to beat the Nets!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #763 on: December 28, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

They're currently down 16 in the 2nd to the Lillard-less Blazers in Portland, and Denver is up 10 on Minny in the 4th. A Denver win and Sacramento loss will put them tied for the 8th seed.

A Trailblazers win will also put them at 14 in the win column alongside Denver and Sacramento, and New Orleans' win tonight puts them at 13 wins with them on the rise now being healthy.

I still think the Trailblazers or Pelicans end up with the 8th seed, but it might be a tighter playoff race than we want to maximize the chances of a Boogie trade in late February.
Sacramento has looked pretty solid recently so they make be due for a stinker without gayagain

« Reply #764 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Sacramento has looked pretty solid recently so they make be due for a stinker without gayagain

My obsession with a Boogie trade has had me watching most of the Kings' games this year, and let me tell you, the Gay effect seems real. I haven't looked at the stats to back up this claim, but it certainly does seem that they play much better and move the ball around better offensively without Gay in there. I think tonight is the Trailblazers getting the Kings back for that bad loss in Sacramento last week.

Honestly, Sacramento hasn't looked too bad this year, though I think Boogie is just so good and draws so much attention that it makes everyone else's job easier.

However, they were pretty much in this exact same boat last year in the playoff race around this time before ultimately blowing it mid-season and sucking the rest of the season. I expect the same will happen this year, especially with their difficult schedule coming up and the possibility of trading Gay.