Author Topic: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction  (Read 23760 times)

Re: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Seeing it live I thought it was a travel... watching it now... he picked up his dribble while he was in the air during that jump step. That was not a travel, just a good move.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.

I think it's legal.

I agree - I went over that play like the Zapruder film last night and it looks legal to me according to that rule.  However, every ex-player watching that was unanimous that it was a travel, so I just don't know.  Glad it didn't impact the outcome.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I've been a player, ref, and coach and when I watched that play I saw a two footed jump stop.  That was not a travel.  Now,  I have issues with last nights officials, but this call shouldn't have bee one of them.  The OOB, the tech on Pierce, and a few others definately swung the momentum in the Cavs favor.  Before that they were pretty good.  Finally called a charge on the Cavs.  The C's need to stop fouling so lazily and start playing with their feet.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am not surprised to see so many people thinking it wasn't a travel. However I believe he takes an intial step with his left foot after he picked up his dribble then took the hop step. The step with the left foot and the picking up of the dribble are very close together but I believe the dribble happened before.

Agree with Goz here, that, the crab dribble was not even close to the most egregious call in the game.

Refs often call fouls on defenders who are holding their ground while the offensive player puts their head down and goes to the hoop. Most people believe that if the guy has position and fall down it is a charge, otherwise it is a block. In actuality if the defender is in position to take a charge gets the contact and doesn't flop it should be a no call, not a block. Calling the game this way lends itself to the flopping that has getting worse year by year. Lebron goes to the line about 4-5 times a game on average from just barreling into people who have position.

Also the league needs to start fining people for acting and drawing calls. I love Delonte but when Rondo swiped his hand in front of Dwest's face then West grabs his face like he's been hit only there was no contact, that was just wrong. What made it worse was apparently his vision was good enough after getting "hit" to look up quickly to see if a call was made.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I need another angle to make sure, but seems like it was a good move.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
After watching this several times, sad to say, but I think it was a legal move.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I wonder if someone other than Lebron tried that if they would have been called for traveling.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I kind of think the play is legal too.. I kept looking to see if he took 2 steps before the jump, I dont think he did.

However, Lebron does travel a lot.  And hopefully the attention this play brings will help in getting one of those travels called.

If anyone remembers, 2 years ago in the opening game against CLE the refs called Lebron on back to back travels to start the game.  Those were the good ol' days.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I wonder if someone other than Lebron tried that if they would have been called for traveling.

They would for sure, unless it was Kobe or Wade.

As for the two steps, I really can't see what he did with his left foot. If he took off the floor with both feet at the same time, that's traveling right?

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23:46 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I just read this comment on ESPN and wanted to share it here.

LeBron James = The most overrated superstar in sports history.

He'll be the first person in NBA history to retire with 15 MVP trophies, 2,343 crab walks, and 900,565 powder tosses, and still end up with no rings.

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I am not surprised to see so many people thinking it wasn't a travel. However I believe he takes an intial step with his left foot after he picked up his dribble then took the hop step. The step with the left foot and the picking up of the dribble are very close together but I believe the dribble happened before.

Agree with Goz here, that, the crab dribble was not even close to the most egregious call in the game.

Refs often call fouls on defenders who are holding their ground while the offensive player puts their head down and goes to the hoop. Most people believe that if the guy has position and fall down it is a charge, otherwise it is a block. In actuality if the defender is in position to take a charge gets the contact and doesn't flop it should be a no call, not a block. Calling the game this way lends itself to the flopping that has getting worse year by year. Lebron goes to the line about 4-5 times a game on average from just barreling into people who have position.

Also the league needs to start fining people for acting and drawing calls. I love Delonte but when Rondo swiped his hand in front of Dwest's face then West grabs his face like he's been hit only there was no contact, that was just wrong. What made it worse was apparently his vision was good enough after getting "hit" to look up quickly to see if a call was made.

I was going to write about the travel only, but I agree with everything you just wrote.  Great points, so tommy point to you!

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
http://www.nba.com/videorulebook/category.html?cid=76

By what the rule book says Lebron's move was legal.

Having said that I think the Jump Stop exploits the fundamental rules of basketball(Not to sound like an old man). Not sure if they should eliminate it though because it does make the game interesting and it gives offensive perimeter players a way to avoid larger defenders.

The refs should not call travel if anyone made that move. Now explain to me how half the shots Dwight Howard blocks are not goal tending.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Doc's reaction is just priceless, he stays calm but counts the number of steps taken by LeBron...
If you completely leave the floor and land on 2 feet, you cannot leave the floor again unless you somehow do not pick up your dribble.

It's stupid that this is even debatable.  The NBA, where crab happens.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
One of these days, a player is just going to have to imitate the crab dribble while playing the Cavs and see what the refs do.

They'll get called for traveling because their name isnt Lequeen James and they wont cry about it for 80 weeks to the media like Queen did during that 07 playoffs when someonehad the brains to call it for what it is

I was thinking about this last night---if Tony Allen had tried this move, not only would it have been called a travel---he would have been laughed out of the building by the fans and even his own teammates.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is now part of my warm up question tomorrow.